Mahoney is one of a kind in a good/bad way | Syracusefan.com

Mahoney is one of a kind in a good/bad way

Millhouse

Living Legend
since 2000, he's the only guy with 7 or more td, 2 or less INT with a rating of 101 or less.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...101&c4stat=&c4comp=eq&c4val=&order_by=pass_td

Lester deserves credit for getting a guy who can't throw to 7 td and 2 int. we need a better offense and better qbs, it's not something that should matter much to Coyle but that is something that Lester can offer to a disadvantaged school at a lower level.

Our QBs fumbled quite a bit - choice made by Lester that doesn't show up in regular passing stats - fumbles are kind of ignored.

How many of those TD passes were forward option shuttle passes that were "run" for TD's?

How many of those TD passes were forward option shuttle passes that were "run" for TD's?

I can't recall one.

Mahoney threw a lot of slant patterns inside the ten - he did that very well.

I can't recall one.

i think an option td on saturday was actuall tossed forward by a hair

i think an option td on saturday was actuall tossed forward by a hair

The quick out TD to Ishmael, I believe, in the east endzone was a very well thrown ball.

With time I think Mahoney could become a very good thrower.

Say what you want, but Lester did an excellent job with the two young QBs. They were more than functional and the offense was at times explosive.

There is nothing wrong with an option-based offense that can stretch the field and I believe that Lester's offense offers that.

I will be interested to see where he lands.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't land at Illinois as Cubit's OC, or at least as his QB coach.

The quick out TD to Ishmael, I believe, in the east endzone was a very well thrown ball.

Say what you want, but Lester did an excellent job with the two young QBs. They were more than functional and the offense was at times explosive.

There is nothing wrong with an option-based offense that can stretch the field and I believe that Lester's offense offers that.

47% a really low starting point

his inaccuracy keeps his INTs down.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't land at Illinois as Cubit's OC, or at least as his QB coach.
once again illinois is 112th in yards per play. cubit should be the only person hiring from the cubit tree.

47% a really low starting point

his inaccuracy keeps his INTs down.

He has good arm strength - he puts a lot of spin on the ball.

Clearly he has to improve his accuracy.

Whether than can be done is another question.

If he's looking for some stability and job security, i disagree.

He has good arm strength - he puts a lot of spin on the ball.

Clearly he has to improve his accuracy.

Whether than can be done is another question.
i think it's too big a hill to climb for accuracy. mahoney should go to a school that he fits if he wants to start, syracuse shouldn't fit to him long term.

If he's looking for some stability and job security, i disagree.

I think he's probably looking for whoever would hire him as an OC, and that's his best bet.

why should he go anywhere? even the navy kid gets asked to complete 10 yd passes once in awhile. his issue is just footwork and he only started fixing that this year.

why should he go anywhere? even the navy kid gets asked to complete 10 yd passes once in awhile. his issue is just footwork and he only started fixing that this year.
i don't want him to go but i don't want him to start. i'm not holding my breath for a giant improvement in accuracy. it's so rare

It's interesting that in looking at Football Outsiders advanced metrics the one thing SU did well offensively this year, statistically speaking, was in Explosive Drive Rate ("the percentage of offensive drives that earn at least 10 yards per play"). SU ranked 32nd on that, and sub-100 on everything else (First Down Rate, Available Yards Percentage, Methodical Drive Rate, Value Drive Rate).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

It makes me wonder about the ongoing debate about talent. Not that it doesn't need to improve, wouldn't skill position talent be a likely reason that we so outperformed on explosive drive rate over everything else? It would seem to me that scheme would be more of an indicator of things like first down rate and methodical drive rate.

Just found that interesting.

i think it showed that scheme created big plays far more than talent this year.. the clemson game showed that

i think it showed that scheme created big plays far more than talent this year.. the clemson game showed that

It did? If you take away the 30+ yd reception of Lewis at NC State, what big plays didn't come from Dungey, Ish, Erv, Estime, Fredericks, Strickland? A couple of long Mahoney runs and??

no the fact we had any long plays.. almost all the long pass plays came off mis direction and confusing the D. how many times can you count on a long play by a SU player because he made someone miss, outran the D etc.. did we have one play like the one fortenette had against SU? our best runs were up the middle where we got the safety out of the way, our best passes were much the same. did we even complete a long pass on a streak this year? the qbs made a few nice runs, we broke a couple screens for the first time in years.

I can't recall one.

Mahoney was so good at the slant (especially to Ishmael) and TH was so bad at it.

Zack Mahoney--a walk-on thrown to the wolves and who still performed admirably. Glad he was able to lead his team to a final victory against BC . His grit and determination is appreciated.

Thank you Zack!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom