Mahoney starting against Pitt-Babers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mahoney starting against Pitt-Babers

I watched Dungey throughout warm ups today and found it interesting that he took the reps like Mahoney & Wilson. If he had not been in shorts I would have thought he was playing today. He certainly does not appear to have any injury to his neck or shoulder.

BTW, Mahoney is a trainwreck at QB.
He can't hit the broad side of barn, I've never seen so many overthrows and inaccurate passes in a division 1 football game in my life. He threw a pass over a receivers head who was standing still at one point, there wasn't enough booze in my house for me to keep watching it.

Further delaying a stable, successful offense. Permanent rebuild, 'wait-til-next-year' situation with Orange FB.
I wouldn't say all that. I think Rex could start next year and be fine while DeVito reshirts. It's not like we'd be stuck with Mahoney.

jerry_mahoney_controls_02.jpg

Seems to me you probably don't need a second opinion on a shoulder injury if Dungey is practicing and throwing. It's most likely a concussion and was diagnosed as such and they want a second opinion in hopes they don't have to end his SU career. Certainly hope not, but I fear it is.

DeVito has it all. He can make all the throws and is accurate. He has demonstrated he is a quick study and is a competitor.

Rex hasn't played a game in two years because of his senior year injury and that is a big disadvantage.

Hard to overestimate losing ED, but improvement on both lines is almost as important (I said almost!).

Babers said Mahoney will start IF DUNGEY CAN'T PLAY.
the thread title is misleading.

It is misleading, but I qualified the title in the message body by stating that the source was WAER. The WAER reporter who was at the press conference said (immediately post game) that Babers indicated that Mahoney will start the Pitt game. I wasn't there to confirm it...and I didn't say it.

I will always mention WAER as the source, because their info is not always reliable. Sorry if it came off as definitive.

Seems to me you probably don't need a second opinion on a shoulder injury if Dungey is practicing and throwing. It's most likely a concussion and was diagnosed as such and they want a second opinion in hopes they don't have to end his SU career. Certainly hope not, but I fear it is.

DeVito has it all. He can make all the throws and is accurate. He has demonstrated he is a quick study and is a competitor.

Rex hasn't played a game in two years because of his senior year injury and that is a big disadvantage.

Hard to overestimate losing ED, but improvement on both lines is almost as important (I said almost!).

Not sure it means anything but on the field yesterday the talk was about a second opinion enabling him to play at Pitt. Just overheard a couple of boosters who were very knowledgeable talking but combined with seeing Eric up close and personal yesterday - obviously upbeat and involved - I've gone from resigned that his Cuse career is over to hopeful that we can protect him better next year.

Not sure it means anything but on the field yesterday the talk was about a second opinion enabling him to play at Pitt. Just overheard a couple of boosters who were very knowledgeable talking but combined with seeing Eric up close and personal yesterday - obviously upbeat and involved - I've gone from resigned that his Cuse career is over to hopeful that we can protect him better next year.
Boy, I hope that is correct.

Just throwing this out there fwiw, there has definitely been an increase in the number of 2018 QB prospects the coaches are following.

I assume that's for depth.

CuseLegacy said:
Just throwing this out there fwiw, there has definitely been an increase in the number of 2018 QB prospects the coaches are following.

So what are you trying to say? :)

So what are you trying to say? :)

even with dungey back playing, he, culpepper and devito on the roster they'd still need 2 QBs in 2018. 5 is pretty much the bench mark, but especially with dungey leaving after 2018.

Last edited:
Believe it has been previously reported -- syracuse.com? -- that the second opinion has ONLY to do with whether Eric can return this year, and injury not regarded as career-ending. I know the latter could leave open the interpretation that he would have to play elsewhere, but I think the context was not ending his SU career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom