Making offers | Syracusefan.com

Making offers

Henny & Coke

2nd String
Reading the Lester Quinones thread reminds me just how few offers SU tends to make, compared to other teams.

So, if we are going to be so selective in offering, why not make the offer process something that makes a lasting impression on the player?

(Now, full disclosure: I do not have any clue how we currently offer prospects...but assume its simply JB throwing it out there casually...)

What types of things could we do to differentiate SU from the rest? Here's a few ideas...

1.) Have the entire team & all coaches physically there when the prospect is offered. They will cheer him on & congratulate him afterwards.

Back when I was at SU, my freshman year I went through the Fraternity rush process. Was lucky enough to have multiple Fraternities offer, but there was one in particular that really made an impression in offering. The entire Fraternity would go from dorm to dorm, and call the kid down...when he came outside & saw all the guys there, cheering and hollering, etc, it created a real electric atmosphere. Made an impression on me & I'm sure many others.

2.) Co-ordinate in advance with the recruits family & friends, and get them involved somehow. Maybe even find out who the recruit is closest to (Mom, Grandma, Big Brother, etc) and have them officially make the offer to him.

This one not only makes it a special moment for the recruit, but I guarantee if you tell Mom, "look, we know he looks up to you, and so we want you to officially tell him about his offer to Syracuse University"...you are making a great impact on Mom as well. Something she will always remember too. (Which goes a long way...especially with our recent history of mom's not exactly loving us lol)

3.) Make some sort of commemorative jersey/plaque/basketball to mark the occasion. Something the recruit will always have to display, even if he doesn't end up committing to SU.

Again, anything we can do to make our situation unique is good. So that our offer is not just one out of 50 they receive.

4.) Little outside the box here, but capitalize on the technology of the day: Post a video on Youtube and have the recruit find out that way.

Take advantage of Newhouse and produce a cool Youtube video announcing the offer. Have JB in it offering the prospect, have guys on the team & even past SU stars congratulate him.

Any other ideas?

Again, if we going to limit our offers, then mind as well make the process count...

Reading the Lester Quinones thread reminds me just how few offers SU tends to make, compared to other teams.

So, if we are going to be so selective in offering, why not make the offer process something that makes a lasting impression on the player?

(Now, full disclosure: I do not have any clue how we currently offer prospects...but assume its simply JB throwing it out there casually...)

What types of things could we do to differentiate SU from the rest? Here's a few ideas...

1.) Have the entire team & all coaches physically there when the prospect is offered. They will cheer him on & congratulate him afterwards.

Back when I was at SU, my freshman year I went through the Fraternity rush process. Was lucky enough to have multiple Fraternities offer, but there was one in particular that really made an impression in offering. The entire Fraternity would go from dorm to dorm, and call the kid down...when he came outside & saw all the guys there, cheering and hollering, etc, it created a real electric atmosphere. Made an impression on me & I'm sure many others.

2.) Co-ordinate in advance with the recruits family & friends, and get them involved somehow. Maybe even find out who the recruit is closest to (Mom, Grandma, Big Brother, etc) and have them officially make the offer to him.

This one not only makes it a special moment for the recruit, but I guarantee if you tell Mom, "look, we know he looks up to you, and so we want you to officially tell him about his offer to Syracuse University"...you are making a great impact on Mom as well. Something she will always remember too. (Which goes a long way...especially with our recent history of mom's not exactly loving us lol)

3.) Make some sort of commemorative jersey/plaque/basketball to mark the occasion. Something the recruit will always have to display, even if he doesn't end up committing to SU.

Again, anything we can do to make our situation unique is good. So that our offer is not just one out of 50 they receive.

4.) Little outside the box here, but capitalize on the technology of the day: Post a video on Youtube and have the recruit find out that way.

Take advantage of Newhouse and produce a cool Youtube video announcing the offer. Have JB in it offering the prospect, have guys on the team & even past SU stars congratulate him.

Any other ideas?

Again, if we going to limit our offers, then mind as well make the process count...

I'm pretty sure much of what you are suggestion is probably considered a NCAA violation of some sort.

I'm pretty sure much of what you are suggestion is probably considered a NCAA violation of some sort.

For real?? How?

Maybe #3 (commemorative item) if it's considered giving recruit something of "value"...

And possibly #4 (YouTube video) if it's considered speaking publically about a recruit...

But no way #1 or #2 could be a violation

Suppose we offer a kid at an AAU Tournament after watching him play?

Pretty sure that flying his entire family out to Vegas or Atlanta is not allowed.

Pretty sure that flying his entire family out to Vegas or Atlanta is not allowed.

AND if it was, UK and Duke would be all over this sorta thing already.

Why is there ever a need to offer after a tournament? How many kids have committed on the spot after being offered after a tournament? Any?

IMO with the way kids wait these days to collect all their offers, there is no need to do it right after a tournament.

Take your time, do it right. Set it up in advance with the team, family, friends, etc and do it right. Especially if we only throwing out 20 or so a year (if that, right?)

I really like the creativity. I'm afraid some of your ideas would be violations, BUT it is exactly this type of out of the box thinking that could be a difference maker in the recruiting process. Recruiting is so challenging now, and harder than it was twenty years ago. Innovative recruiting styles may help... it's the evolution of the college game.

I really like the creativity. I'm afraid some of your ideas would be violations, BUT it is exactly this type of out of the box thinking that could be a difference maker in the recruiting process. Recruiting is so challenging now, and harder than it was twenty years ago. Innovative recruiting styles may help... it's the evolution of the college game.

Totally agree. Recruiting has changed so much over the years...everyone has same info about the top kids so it tougher to find those "diamonds in the rough," kids all want to go to the Kentuckys & Dukes of the world now (where it seemed little more spread out before), etc. Wherever you can find a way to think outside the box, compete with the 50 other schools all recruiting the same kid in a different way...you gotta take it.

Hell, if I were coach I'd look into everything I could think of. I'd challenge my assistant coaches to do the same. No idea is too outlandish. Only constraints are recruiting violations & ethics. I'd be asking things like can we...

- Have a 1 on 1 tournament or 3 point contest at Elite camp where winner gets a scholarship offer? (Imagine the press that would come with that?!? It'd be so cool to follow.)

- Have cameras follow our practices like a Hard Knocks sort of thing to increase our profile & knowledge of our school & what we have to offer. Plus, would recruits wanna come here more if they knew they'd be on program too?

- Set up a department like a "guidance office" where alumni could work with them to see what their options are after SU? (Europe, NBA D league, etc.). Kids all want to make money playing ball, so showing them that SU will continue to work with you to evaluate your options after SU would be enticing.

I'm sure I can think of other crazy things haha - but these are just off top of my head. Not sure why a coach wouldn't be constantly evaluating how to get that edge

Totally agree. Recruiting has changed so much over the years...everyone has same info about the top kids so it tougher to find those "diamonds in the rough," kids all want to go to the Kentuckys & Dukes of the world now (where it seemed little more spread out before), etc. Wherever you can find a way to think outside the box, compete with the 50 other schools all recruiting the same kid in a different way...you gotta take it.

Hell, if I were coach I'd look into everything I could think of. I'd challenge my assistant coaches to do the same. No idea is too outlandish. Only constraints are recruiting violations & ethics. I'd be asking things like can we...

- Have a 1 on 1 tournament or 3 point contest at Elite camp where winner gets a scholarship offer? (Imagine the press that would come with that?!? It'd be so cool to follow.)

- Have cameras follow our practices like a Hard Knocks sort of thing to increase our profile & knowledge of our school & what we have to offer. Plus, would recruits wanna come here more if they knew they'd be on program too?

- Set up a department like a "guidance office" where alumni could work with them to see what their options are after SU? (Europe, NBA D league, etc.). Kids all want to make money playing ball, so showing them that SU will continue to work with you to evaluate your options after SU would be enticing.

I'm sure I can think of other crazy things haha - but these are just off top of my head. Not sure why a coach wouldn't be constantly evaluating how to get that edge
Love the "guidance office" idea!!!

I've often thought that there could be ways to utilize the Newhouse school to the team's advantage. I'm not exactly sure how...but it's a possibility.

Last edited:
Love the "guidance office" idea!!!

I've often thought that there could be ways to utilize the Newhouse school to the team's advantage. I'm not exactly sure how...but it's a possibility.

Totally. Instead of having students doing group projects on absurd topics for their classes, assign a team of students (mix of business students, Newhouse, etc) to each player so they could work with them on things like making promo videos of the player to put online, doing different statistically analysis for when player thinking about leaving vs staying (doing stuff like what we argue about here: odds of succeeding if come out this year vs next year, first round guarantees vs second round, analysis of age as a factor in draft, etc)

Use the resources available to you! You have people on campus that are future agents, sports writers, marketing professionals, sports reporters, financial advisers, etc. Have them do real world assignments by working with the players on this stuff. How cool would that be to hear as a parent on a recruiting visit?

I like the creative ideas. I say we use owls to bomb the kid's house with so many letters inviting him to come that he gives in out of exasperation.

I still think improving the living conditions of the athletes would help. Give them their own dormitory with a gym, and basketball court. State of the art.

Of course that's not within the staff's control, and would require quite a bit of money. But I do believe that would impress a recruit.

I still think improving the living conditions of the athletes would help. Give them their own dormitory with a gym, and basketball court. State of the art.

Of course that's not within the staff's control, and would require quite a bit of money. But I do believe that would impress a recruit.

This would do more for recruiting than the way we communicate offers.

Problem with #1 is that you'd be restricted to making offers to kids you could get on campus. I think there are lots of kids that we make the offer to before they ever set foot on campus. You can't take the team, or even the entire coaching staff to a kid's home or school. Pretty sure we're limited on the number of representatives that can be on the road at any one time.

You could do #2, but both sound like you are making offers to kids whose dream it is to attend SU not top prospects that you are competing with 25 other schools to convince them that you are the best place for them. If we're their top choice than it works, if not, not so sure how well it plays out.

Problem with #1 is that you'd be restricted to making offers to kids you could get on campus. I think there are lots of kids that we make the offer to before they ever set foot on campus. You can't take the team, or even the entire coaching staff to a kid's home or school. Pretty sure we're limited on the number of representatives that can be on the road at any one time.

You could do #2, but both sound like you are making offers to kids whose dream it is to attend SU not top prospects that you are competing with 25 other schools to convince them that you are the best place for them. If we're their top choice than it works, if not, not so sure how well it plays out.
i believe #2 may violate a rule or 2 as well

Hey, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

I was thinking about H&C's ideas. While many may be violations, the outside the box thinking is good. It got me thinking about trying to find the loopholes.

What if we offered some perks to more than just student athletes, and used the UNC defense... it's not impermissible benefits if applicants not involved with the athletic programs could benefit too. I'm not exactly sure how we'd do it. Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth. But could offering some sweet perks to a small percentage of "regular" applicants open doors to make some of his ideas feasible?

I know it's crazy... but I'd love that UNC defense to come back and bite the NCAA.

I get it... and I'm not saying we should go looking for trouble. But, I wish someone would call the NCAA out for the hypocrisy of the UNC ruling. It was complete bull and likely resulted in UNC's favor through lobbying/money.

I think that loophole should be tested. Nothing changes unless someone stands up to the system and challenges it.

I get it... and I'm not saying we should go looking for trouble. But, I wish someone would call the NCAA out for the hypocrisy of the UNC ruling. It was complete bull and likely resulted in UNC's favor through lobbying/money.

I think that loophole should be tested. Nothing changes unless someone stands up to the system and challenges it.
The trick is to be Andy Messersmith, and not Curt Flood.

The trick is to be Andy Messersmith, and not Curt Flood.
Wow, I had to brush up on my baseball history there. What can I say, I wouldn't be me, if I said to stand on the sidelines. LOL, somebody needs to test the waters. :cool:

I had a similar conversation with a former ACC guard about the ability to play the same games to compete. He made it clear that your tobacco road powers all have very strong connections ( call then inside guys or whatever) within the NCAA and it's been that way for years. Until that changes, the playing field will not even out. It's the collegiate athletics organization that is too big to fail or too hard to replace or gut and thus here we are. Bias and corruption are no doubt evident but who is going to take on the case of cleaning things up? The FBI stuff brought a lot of intreague about possibly exposing the NCAA but lately it's all crickets. So for now we have to live with being unable to play the game the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom