Malachi Richardson to Israel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi Richardson to Israel

He made the right move by striking while the iron was hot. Malachi is very similar to Jonny Flynn in that regard. Both probably had artificially high stocks given their respective high-profile March performances.

Israel is an amazing place to be a young rich guy. Food is amazing, women are gorgeous and Tel Aviv has all the amenities of an American coastal city.

He made the right move by striking while the iron was hot. Malachi is very similar to Jonny Flynn in that regard. Both probably had artificially high stocks given their respective high-profile March performances.

Israel is an amazing place to be a young rich guy. Food is amazing, women are gorgeous and Tel Aviv has all the amenities of an American coastal city.
Even his name is perfect for that country.

Had Jonny not got hurt though he might still be in the league. He had a good rookie season at 13 pts 4 ast a game.

Had Jonny not got hurt though he might still be in the league. He had a good rookie season at 13 pts 4 ast a game.

No doubt. He had his ups and downs like any rookie, but there was very clear promise. Most PG’s take a few years to come into their own. Kyle Lowry wasn’t a star...until he was. Wish we could’ve seen a healthy Flynn’s career play out.

Another poor early entry decision resulting in a Cuse guy being out of the nba
It wasn't a poor decision. He got paid handsomely. You have to strike while the iron is hot. It's tough to make it and stick in the NBA. Staying at Syracuse would not have helped in this regard. He is still a professional basketball player and getting paid handsomely to play overseas. Israeli pro ball is the real deal. Did you ever watch the weekly Israeli pro basketball show on YES? It is a major deal over there. Syracuse fans have to let go of their crying in their milk of players leaving to get paid. Their decisions are no brainers.

If he plays 5-8 more years overseas, he will probably max out at about $5-7M. And that is being generous.

Total career earnings of $10-12M.

If he stays one more year, is featured guy and gets taken #15 overall the following year, he could have made $12M with a 4-year contract.

It’s a gamble, and he may have made the right decision. But people saying he made a mistake are looking at it from this perspective.

Also, maybe that one extra year of being the guy allows him to develop better than the less structured pro way. Maybe he gets a second contract. Look at Dion Waiters. He wasn’t that much better than Malachi was in college, IMO.

MR was never going to be a guy that stuck in the NBA. Financially he got the most out of it considering all circumstances. He was drafted too high when he left and chances are just as good he would have fallen if he stayed another year as his weaknesses would have been further exposed.

Anyone who acts like McCullough, Malachi or Ennis made bad decisions is just bitter.

Future earning potential is a real thing and speculative. Anyone that speculates they could have stuck longer had they been more prepared has that opinion and is entitled to it. Doesn’t mean they are bitter at all. I know I’m not bitter.

MR was never going to be a guy that stuck in the NBA. Financially he got the most out of it considering all circumstances. He was drafted too high when he left and chances are just as good he would have fallen if he stayed another year as his weaknesses would have been further exposed.

Pretty much my sentiment. I completely understand why/when he left, no different than Ennis and others, etc.. I don't fault him one bit, most of us, especially at that age (as another poster alluded of his 5 mil to date) literally would've gone ahead and "take the money and run!"

The system in its current state (potential vs. production) affords many of these players with apparent short comings, etc. to be granted the opportunity of a lifetime. They are immensely fortunate. However, it isn't surprising in the least that his present journey is now taking him elsewhere besides the NBA/that coveted 2nd contract. I wish him well.

Pretty much my sentiment. I completely understand why/when he left, no different than Ennis and others, etc.. I don't fault him one bit, most of us, especially at that age (as another poster alluded of his 5 mil to date) literally would've gone ahead and "take the money and run!"

The system in its current state (potential vs. production) affords many of these players with apparent short comings, etc. to be granted the opportunity of a lifetime. They are immensely fortunate. However, it isn't surprising in the least that his present journey is now taking him elsewhere besides the NBA/that coveted 2nd contract. I wish him well.

I think this is fair. I also think it’s fair that other players such as McCullough or Grant could have been taken higher or had the opportunity to grow more from the next year. Grant has made it work, McCullough didn’t. Ennis probably struck while iron was hot, Richardson in my opinion could have benefited from another year of seasoning and may have been picked higher. But again, that’s my opinion and speculation. It is what it is.

Well ya not sure if he was that type of player. But I'm sure he would thought he'd still be in the league.

So if he stayed, and never made the league at all, would he be disappointed?

So if he stayed, and never made the league at all, would he be disappointed?
That is a hypothetical question that we will never know the answer to. The NBA today is all about that 2nd contract and being good enough to set you and your family up for life.

That is a hypothetical question that we will never know the answer to. The NBA today is all about that 2nd contract and being good enough to set you and your family up for life.

Everything in this thread is a hypothetical. Except for one fact. $5m made to date.

Everything in this thread is a hypothetical. Except for one fact. $5m made to date.
5 mil is a nice chunk of change if you invest it wisely. I just wonder when.he decided to go pro how much money he anticipated making and how many years he
Planned on being in the NBA.

You are setting up a "what it is all about" based on what you think it should be as an SU fan.

#1. Why is not about getting those first few millions vs potentially nothing.
#2. Any real data to support that staying supports a hihger pick (nope) or even development in most cases?.

You are setting up a "what it is all about" based on what you think it should be as an SU fan.

#1. Why is not about getting those first few millions vs potentially nothing.
#2. Any real data to support that staying supports a hihger pick (nope) or even development in most cases?.

I used to feel like Donte Greene should’ve came back and added a post game, improved his handle, improved his shot selection, and he would’ve been a lottery pick.

Then I watched him play for Boeheim’s Army like 10 years later and realized he was still basically the same player. I don’t think he would’ve improved those things in one more college season if he didn’t improve them in 10 years or whatever or playing professional ball.

Some guys get a lot better, some don’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom