Malachi Richardson to Israel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi Richardson to Israel

You are setting up a "what it is all about" based on what you think it should be as an SU fan.

#1. Why is not about getting those first few millions vs potentially nothing.
#2. Any real data to support that staying supports a hihger pick (nope) or even development in most cases?.
Its not about being a fan. It's about reality. Like I said before we will never know what would have happened if he came back. It's possible he could have got hurt and never earned a dime or he could have blown up and made a lot more money. Players do get better.

Its not about being a fan. It's about reality. Like I said before we will never know what would have happened if he came back. It's possible he could have got hurt and never earned a dime or he could have blown up and made a lot more money. Players do get better.

It’s not about reality, it’s hypotheticals and maybes you’re using. The only reality is he’s made $5m so far.

It’s not about reality, it’s hypotheticals and maybes you’re using. The only reality is he’s made $5m so far.
Making 5 mil is great the problem is when your arguing from the other side you don't know what the alternative is. A lot of guys would take 5 mil and a few cups of coffee in the NBA. Just not sure when your a 5 star recruit and you have a big freshman year go to a final 4 if that's the ceiling you envision.

Making 5 mil is great the problem is when your arguing from the other side you don't know what the alternative is. A lot of guys would take 5 mil and a few cups of coffee in the NBA. Just not sure when your a 5 star recruit and you have a big freshman year go to a final 4 if that's the ceiling you envision.

The Final 4 trip was a big part of the reason he was drafted that high. He struck while the iron was hot. Smart move. He's not an NBA player. Staying at SU for another year or two wouldn't have changed anything. He just probably would have missed out on that $5 mil payday once it became more apparent he's not an NBA player.

Seems like hypotheticals to me...

Future earning potential is a real thing and speculative. Anyone that speculates they could have stuck longer had they been more prepared has that opinion and is entitled to it. Doesn’t mean they are bitter at all. I know I’m not bitter.
Agreed - I know there are idiotic comments on twitter (and Syracuse.com). But on this message board I don't see too much of "he should have stayed so he could help Syracuse" type posts. It's more "He should have stayed as it would have improved his professional career in the long run" type. Now we can debate whether or not this is true (and I hope we do!) just because we post that we don't think he should have left doesn't make someone bitter or selfish.

or a dude that wasn't going to stick regardless of how many years he stayed at Cuse was able to use an elite 8 game to trick a GM into drafting him and got some cash on the way out of the NBA
I don't know if his performance influenced his draft position but any scout that relies heavily on tournament performance over the regular season is being foolish. Too small a sample size.

or a dude that wasn't going to stick regardless of how many years he stayed at Cuse was able to use an elite 8 game to trick a GM into drafting him and got some cash on the way out of the NBA
I don't know if that can be an accurate assessment after only watching him play for one season.

every pick that late in the draft is a roll of the dice so tiny bits of info can have an outsized impact on decisions
Yup, and the thing people fail to realize is that the same draft philosophy that lands you a gem late is the same philosophy that now and again nets you a guy that never amounts to much for you.

It's all inexact science.

Yup, and the thing people fail to realize is that the same draft philosophy that lands you a gem late is the same philosophy that now and again nets you a guy that never amounts to much for you.

for every Tony Parker there's a crap ton of Chris McCollough's

That's EXACTLY why the Nets drafted Chris McCullough late.

They were decimated from a draft pick standpoint after making that bad trade with the Celtics, their roster was devoid of talent but the team couldn't reload with top end of the draft prospects, so they took a flier on a guy who might have elite upside late in the first round [nobody really knew, since he'd gotten injured].

If the guy pans out -- great, you swung for the fences and connected.

If not -- no big deal, nothing really to lose, it only cost you a late first round pick.

Sometimes you hit a triple, other times you strike out. And for a team with limited draft capital like the Nets back then, it made sense to gamble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom