Malachi's 4-point Play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi's 4-point Play

Melo averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds per game as a frosh. Also 2.2 assists, 1.6 steals and 0.9 blocks.

Malachi is averaging 13.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.0 steals and 0.3 blocks.

Melo has Mali in 2 pt FG percentage 49.2 to 38.5. The only place Mali has an advantage is on 3 pt shooting percentage, where he is a little better at 36.2%.

So in terms of stats, Melo > Mali.

Is Mali's hair better than Melo's? It depends on your love for cornrows.

No question, Mali's hair helps his defense. We can all agree on that. It is quite intimidating and results in a few blocked shots and many deflections in the passing lanes.

Seriously, Mali isn't close to as good as Melo was but that doesn't mean Mali has playing poorly. He is having a terrific frosh season and is going to be considered for AA honors next year.

At the least, he should be strongly considered for preseason All ACC honors. He has been terrific and the best part is that as the season progresses, he seems to be getting better. That rarely happens with freshmen.

I wish they kept a stat for " Get your own rebound and score second chance points" lol...seemed like half the time when Melo missed he would get his own rebound and either score or get fouled on his second attempt.
He always seemed to get you "something" when the team needed it most. Maybe I just have a selective memory and just remember the highlights though. :)

Very nice. I get on Carmelo comparison. But you have nothing nice to say about how Malachi is playing. Or are you just more interesting with roasting my post?
Mal is playing well. He's giving us some swagger. But to suggest he's anywhere near the melo stratosphere is just plain nuts. If that were the case, he'd be projected as a lottery pick right now.

I wish they kept a stat for " Get your own rebound and score second chance points" lol...seemed like half the time when Melo missed he would get his own rebound and either score or get fouled on his second attempt.
He always seemed to get you "something" when the team needed it most. Maybe I just have a selective memory and just remember the highlights though. :)
Melo just seemed so much stronger than everyone else. Even when they tried physically to take him out of the play, he seemed to find a way. Of course like you said, it could be selective memory.

His poise and maturity is beginning to remind me of Carmelo in a lot of ways. And even then with my memory barely working Malachi may actually seem to be a little better than Carmelo at this point in the season dare I say.

NO WAY. Carmelo was literally 1 of the, if not the, best college players since Christian Laettner. Malachi, while playing really well - is not top 25 in the country this year! Carmelo's offensive game was significantly better (Mali wins on jump shot, but not even by that much), rebounding isnt even close, and defense isnt in the same ball park. Mali is still the worst defender in our zone and that includes our C position. *edit* Lets call him laziest away from ball defender in the zone.

If only we had a real PG like GMAC I wonder what Malachi's numbers would be. Probably a little better. I agree with the Carmelo comparison being a stretch. But that was also a much better team all around. I just like the way Malachi has been not playing like a freshmen. It doesn't happen very often.

Gmac wasnt a "real PG"

There were tons of posts back in the day about wanting him to move to the 2.

I haven't read all the replies yet, but I assume you are getting roasted about the Carmelo comment. Let me add to that.

Definitely 1 of the best lines I've ever read on this board.

NO WAY. Carmelo was literally 1 of the, if not the, best college players since Christian Laettner. Malachi, while playing really well - is not top 25 in the country this year! Carmelo's offensive game was significantly better (Mali wins on jump shot, but not even by that much), rebounding isnt even close, and defense isnt in the same ball park. Mali is still the worst defender in our zone and that includes our C position. *edit* Lets call him laziest away from ball defender in the zone.

Malachi is doing great. He's surpassed my expectations by far to be honest. But I did notice he caught JB's wrath in a rather big way when he let an open 3 on his side of the zone sometime in the second half I think.

Malachi is doing great. He's surpassed my expectations by far to be honest. But I did notice he caught JB's wrath in a rather big way when he let an open 3 on his side of the zone sometime in the second half I think.

1st 3 of the 2nd half. cut the lead to 12 with 18:30 left. I thought Boeheim was going to decapitate him as they went to commercial break. They came back and Mali was still in, Coleman came out. I chuckled it at that.

Pretty sure that was the Beachem three from the wing.

There was nobody else on MR's side but instead of shading up towards Beachem, he was standing in no-man's land with his arms down by his sides...

Melo just seemed so much stronger than everyone else. Even when they tried physically to take him out of the play, he seemed to find a way. Of course like you said, it could be selective memory.

He was 6'7" and 225...if you put a four on him, he would simply blow by him off the bounce. If you put a smaller player on him he would either just shoot over him or post him up...

Remember the Texas game?

They tried everything...Ivey (6'3"), Mouton (6'5")...double teams...triple teams...nothing worked...Carmelo was simply an unstoppable player at the collegiate level...

Carmelo was a man among boys in college. He was unstoppable.

Malachi is a nice player but it's not close...
Carmelo looked liked (and played like) an NBA player from his first game in Orange; he arrived fully formed. I can't say that about any other Orangeman I have seen play with my own eyes going back to the early 1970s.

Moses Malone perfected it.

Carmelo looked liked (and played like) an NBA player from his first game in Orange; he arrived fully formed. I can't say that about any other Orangeman I have seen play with my own eyes going back to the early 1970s.

I wish he kept his college game of interior leads to exterior play in the NBA.

Probably 4. 2-4 are all close

Hmmmmm. I don't think Wallace was anywhere near DC. Neither one had an advantage in the hair department though (sadly).

He did it all in these goofy-arse shorts too, and with someone palming his head:

derrick-coleman.jpg

Capt. Tuttle said:
:crazy::crazy::crazy: In my SU ball lifetime (mid,70's) I believe the 3 best players to play at SU are: DC Carmelo Billy O. I don't think #2 is close to #1.

In my lifetime (mid 60s)

1. Bing
2. DC
2A. Melo
4. Owens
5. Cooney

Melo averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds per game as a frosh. Also 2.2 assists, 1.6 steals and 0.9 blocks.

Malachi is averaging 13.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.0 steals and 0.3 blocks.

Melo has Mali in 2 pt FG percentage 49.2 to 38.5. The only place Mali has an advantage is on 3 pt shooting percentage, where he is a little better at 36.2%.

So in terms of stats, Melo > Mali.

Is Mali's hair better than Melo's? It depends on your love for cornrows.

No question, Mali's hair helps his defense. We can all agree on that. It is quite intimidating and results in a few blocked shots and many deflections in the passing lanes.

Seriously, Mali isn't close to as good as Melo was but that doesn't mean Mali has playing poorly. He is having a terrific frosh season and is going to be considered for AA honors next year.

At the least, he should be strongly considered for preseason All ACC honors. He has been terrific and the best part is that as the season progresses, he seems to be getting better. That rarely happens with freshmen.

Malachi is averaging in ACC play 431 FG%, 519 3 pt shooting %, 2 assists per game, and 15.4 ppg.

When he got in that little scuffle with the ND player then proceeded to come down and drain a deep 3. That was awesome and something we've been lacking.
I've been wanting to post similar for 24 hours now. Thank you for being more succinct than my winey pinot brain. :)
Love the fight in him. We need that to win.

I've been wanting to post similar for 24 hours now. Thank you for being more succinct than my winey pinot brain. :)
Love the fight in him. We need that to win.

He did something similar a couple games ago - it wasn't a physical confrontation, but someone (against Duke, maybe?) dropped a three on him where he was closing out on him, and said something to Mal, who promptly came down and buried one in his face. Kid's definitely got some fight in him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom