Mali gone? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mali gone?

But it's kind of ridiculous that 2 good games in the NCAAT and a long wingspan gets an inconsistent player drafted these days.

That's not all he brings to the table. His upside is obvious and he's got that killer instinct that cannot be taught. He showed early on that he isn't afraid to take big shots. He is one confident individual and he can back it up.

Brent Axe said a scout texted him and Mali got a 1st round promise.
Good for him.

Last edited:
I think Howard would have been the one whos minutes decreased, No I don't know that, and you don't know that Jb wanted to bring him in regardless of what Malachi did. We just lost our 2nd best perimeter threat, thats going to be hard to replace.

One thing I do know, is that JB doesn't play 4 guards. So you're saying Howard would get zero mins except in garbage time?

you are missing the point. its a report of what may or may not have been said in a closed meeting.

its not "official"

Well, we can have 3 pages of posts debating whether its "official" or not and whether that matters in any event - perhaps sprinkling in a few barbs at what a poor decision Malachi is making and querying as to why SU cannot find players who "want to be here" -- or we can employ common sense, accept the fact that a good kid who SU is better for having had play here has made a considered decision on what he thinks is best for him under the circumstances of his life and we can wish him well, root him on in the pursuit of his dreams, and look forward to next year's team. I lean towards option 2.

Amazing how we never catch a godamn break with these. Its almost comical
DC and John Wallace say hello. Lydon too from what (little) we understand.
But, I think it is fair to say we are in a bit of a slump as it pertains to early entries that are not regarded as Top-15/Lottery talents.

People Mali played and did this the right way. A little birdie told me that Coach Adrian A was supposedly there at the combine helping him to make a decision. The draft is really weak this year for his position and he was 50-50 until they told him he is most likely a first rounder. Obviously he could go 2nd round but you never know until the draft for sure. Give the kid a break.

As long as he's chosen in the first round, it's probably the smart choice. Not many points to go around next year. Lydon will be the best player and leading scorer, Battle is a one-and-done talent and plays the same position as MR and very well could have out-shined him, Roberson should be much-improved, Gillon is a proven commodity and pure scorer, etc.

Better to go now before his PPG average goes down and he's perceived to have regressed.

Any chances we go after another transfer guard or no? We have like 3 scholarships open don't we?

As long as he's chosen in the first round, it's probably the smart choice. Not many points to go around next year. Lydon will be the best player and leading scorer, Battle is a one-and-done talent and plays the same position as MR and very well could have out-shined him, Roberson should be much-improved, Gillon is a proven commodity and pure scorer, etc.

Better to go now before his PPG average goes down and he's perceived to have regressed.
yeah it would have been interesting to see how Mal and Battle coexisted - kind of feel like it might have been a "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" type deal

One thing I do know, is that JB doesn't play 4 guards. So you're saying Howard would get zero mins except in garbage time?

No of course not, but he would have been the one whos minutes suffered. If Malachi came back, I could have seen Jb playing Gillon, Battle, and Malachi at the same time.

I know you're sticking by it. You've said it enough time because you're taking it personal and are looking at it in a selfish manner and could care less about the kid and what he wants or what nba teams are telling him. you'd as soon prefer he bombed at the combine.

I am certainly not taking it personal, and I am not looking at it in a selfish manner. I hope the kid has a lot of nba success, but now wasn't his time to go, sorry if you don't like that take, its what I believe.

Well, we can have 3 pages of posts debating whether its "official" or not and whether that matters in any event - perhaps sprinkling in a few barbs at what a poor decision Malachi is making and querying as to why SU cannot find players who "want to be here" -- or we can employ common sense, accept the fact that a good kid who SU is better for having had play here has made a considered decision on what he thinks is best for him under the circumstances of his life and we can wish him well, root him on in the pursuit of his dreams, and look forward to next year's team. I lean towards option 2.

Why do we all have to have this opinion? We all have to be on board with every kid who leaves Su early? We are Syracuse basketball fans, not Malchi Richardson groupies.

Very well said. Kudos.

As good as Malachi was for us, we can find a way to get 13 ppg from one of the handful of guys we have coming. Whether it's from Battle, Gillon, Moyer. Between those three alone I'm confident we can get at least 13 ppg.

We're not replacing 13 points haha. Add Gs, add Cooneys. Don't know the math or looking up the stats but I'm assuming it's 70% of our scoring.

Lydon can score, but when he's WIDE open. He's going to have to show a lot more than he did last season for us to be able to say he is "the guy" on offense. Outside of him and Battle we're extremely suspect on offense. Relying on a freshman and a guy who's scared to shoot the ball as your only scorers is dangerous.

We're not replacing 13 points haha. Add Gs, add Cooneys. Don't know the math or looking up the stats but I'm assuming it's 70% of our scoring.

Lydon can score, but when he's WIDE open. He's going to have to show a lot more than he did last season for us to be able to say he is "the guy" on offense. Outside of him and Battle we're extremely suspect on offense. Relying on a freshman and a guy who's scared to shoot the ball as your only scorers is dangerous.

We lost the one guy that we couldn't afford to lose.

Oh well. It's the way it is in CBB anymore. I wish him luck. Hope he goes 1st round. Even it's latter part of 1st round, he could spend considerable time in the D League, or going back and forth between D and the NBA. At least he'll have some good money to spend as he does. Would have had very good lottery potential next year. But you have to respect his decision, as he put it out there for us fans this past season.

DC and John Wallace say hello. Lydon too from what (little) we understand.
But, I think it is fair to say we are in a bit of a slump as it pertains to early entries that are not regarded as Top-15/Lottery talents.

We're counting "breaks" from 20+ years ago?

Really? Dude ain't coming back. He's decided, who cares when he signs with an agent. He's officially announced it. Move on time

The decision is not his. Doesn't one of the NBA teams have to bite? Maybe he's just going to roll the dice.

I agree with the sentiment until is after May 25th or he signs with an agent it's not really official. But I don't want to burst your bubble. If you really feel that strongly about it then he's gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom