Maliq at center doesn’t work | Syracusefan.com

Maliq at center doesn’t work

Cuse_NYC

Starter
I don’t know how AA left him in for so long at the 5. He’s not a shot-blocker. They took it inside at will without NM or even PC at center At least Mcleod and Carey show some ability to block a shot. Why no Hima at all?

I don’t know how AA left him in for so long at the 5. He’s not a shot-blocker. They took it inside at will without NM or even PC at center At least Mcleod and Carey show some ability to block a shot. Why no Hima at all?
Starting to wonder about Hima. You would think he would have gotten a few minutes over the past two games?

He was in because UNH's best player was abusing McLeod and Carey on the perimeter. He played fine.

he was getting his points, but we were killing them. With Maliq at the 5, everyone else on NH picked it up. There’s no fear when going at taylor and maliq inside.

He was in because UNH's best player was abusing McLeod and Carey on the perimeter. He played fine.
He was abusing him too! The number of times they went right at him and scored was a lot. Hopefully it's just him not being at full strength yet.

Probably won’t be good if he plays 30 either. He should’ve played more and he’ll have lots of blocks some games but I don’t know why he had so much hype coming in.
I don’t think McLeod had “so much hype” coming in. Everyone knew he was going to be a big downgrade from Jesse. It seems to me that people were just hoping he could block some shots, protect the rim, grab a few boards and get some put backs. He’ll play more against teams with bigger centers. Against a smaller team like UNH, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to play him a ton of minutes.

I don’t think McLeod had “so much hype” coming in. Everyone knew he was going to be a big downgrade from Jesse. It seems to me that people were just hoping he could block some shots, protect the rim, grab a few boards and get some put backs. He’ll play more against teams with bigger centers. Against a smaller team like UNH, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to play him a ton of minutes.
I'll wait to pass judgment when McLeod competes against a legitimate post-up center. I expected him to struggle against shorter and quicker opponents who play outside the paint. Against that type of player, we will have to go with Malik and Carey. Hima should also see time against centers who stay close to the basket.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Brown. Love his game. However, has he always had a soft push shot? I don't recall seeing this last year (probably because he dunked most of his attempts) but last night there were at least three attempts (all misses) that were super weak shots where it really looked like he was just pushing the ball up to the rim. I think one of them last night was an air ball or at least close to it.

I'm a big fan of Brown. Love his game. However, has he always had a soft push shot? I don't recall seeing this last year (probably because he dunked most of his attempts) but last night there were at least three attempts (all misses) that were super weak shots where it really looked like he was just pushing the ball up to the rim. I think one of them last night was an air ball or at least close to it.
I think the groin/back is affecting his lift a bit.

Probably won’t be good if he plays 30 either. He should’ve played more and he’ll have lots of blocks some games but I don’t know why he had so much hype coming in.

McLeod's gonna provide a level of deterrence based on his size, but his footwork is slow and he was a step and a half behind in a lot of his movement... Almost lumbering.

Early days and I am sure he'll get better but he's gonna need to keep it simple... You can't teach speed and athleticism

Last edited:
I think the groin/back is affecting his lift a bit.

I’d suggest that maybe we should just sit him the first few weeks and maybe by Hawaii he’s a lot healthier. We should be able to win these first 3 without him….

But Benny being suspended puts a wrench in that.
Agree... His lateral movement really seemed off last night too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom