Maliq on defense & his help | Syracusefan.com

Maliq on defense & his help

44Wallace

Walk On
My first post ... I think an important situation to look at is how Maliq has been faring when he's backed down in the paint. A good big man w a decent back-to-the-basket game can pretty much score at will on him, especially if he's quick to spin around him. We've had a 2nd defender in the vicinity try to assist him by catching Liq's guy on the weak side or by swatting at the dribble, but now opposing teams are pulling their players away, leaving Liq 1 on 1. In order to be more successful he must be better on defense, especially in 1 on 1 situations. Brown is not a deterrent or rim protector like Jesse was, and that's where we're getting hurt the most on defense. #15 Kidd on Va Tech was eating him up Tue night.

My first post ... I think an important situation to look at is how Maliq has been faring when he's backed down in the paint. A good big man w a decent back-to-the-basket game can pretty much score at will on him, especially if he's quick to spin around him. We've had a 2nd defender in the vicinity try to assist him by catching Liq's guy on the weak side or by swatting at the dribble, but now opposing teams are pulling their players away, leaving Liq 1 on 1. In order to be more successful he must be better on defense, especially in 1 on 1 situations. Brown is not a deterrent or rim protector like Jesse was, and that's where we're getting hurt the most on defense. #15 Kidd on Va Tech was eating him up Tue night.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bigger threat with VT is their shooters and ball movement. They want you to overplay on both Kidd and their shooters so they can get you chasing all game. They average 15 apg at only 74 ppg. Brown did struggle because Kidd is a really good offensive big man and is quick going up or with his moves a lot like Jesse. That said the guys didn’t over react and let their shooters get a ton of good looks and go off.

I agree in that he has trouble guarding bigger, stronger guys around the hoop. But then again, so would most anyone. He also gets his hand on the ball more than any big guy I can ever recall. It's more that he's playing, and subsequently defending a position he normally would not. When he gets in those 1 on 1's, I'd like to see the nearest guard/forward dig down to provide some help (assuming whoever they are guarding isn't lethal from 3).

One thing to keep in mind is that the bigger threat with VT is their shooters and ball movement. They want you to overplay on both Kidd and their shooters so they can get you chasing all game. They average 15 apg at only 74 ppg. Brown did struggle because Kidd is a really good offensive big man and is quick going up or with his moves a lot like Jesse. That said the guys didn’t over react and let their shooters get a ton of good looks and go off.
Well said. When you're up 15+ points, its best to have your opponent shooting 2s as opposed to 3s.
Part of the reason we were up 18 at half was Malik's defense on the blocks.

I think his one on one defense is a bit better than it was against VT. That was a bit of a down game against an opponent who did very well that game. I don't think his help defense is very good unless he get the steel as that is what he tries to do. He does seem like he is a bitt too concerned about fouling in the paint with any help defense.

To be fair, he does pick the players pocket a fair share of the time as well. Those plays often result in not only stopping the opposition but us going the other way in advantageous offensive possession. That does offset some of his liability on defending.

I don’t love “Liq” as a nickname haha.

He’s going to lose in the post to true Centers who catch the ball near the basket. He’s out of position and undersized for the position. There’s very little he can do once the Center has the ball, without fouling out in the first half.

The only answer is to sell out with ball denial. His sole advantage is that he is/should be quicker than the Center he’s guarding. The other 4 guys need to make entry passes difficult and Maliq needs to front the post and dare the passer to thread a lob that doesn’t get the Center stuck under the backboard.

If the staff manages to have a healthy center next year Maliq will become a fantastic help defender in the paint. He's already fantastic but physically overmatched playing against players he shouldn't be guarding.

If the staff manages to have a healthy center next year Maliq will become a fantastic help defender in the paint. He's already fantastic but physically overmatched playing against players he shouldn't be guarding.
And he won’t be hamstrung but needing to stay out of foul trouble. Makes a big difference in his level of aggression.

Brown is not a deterrent or rim protector like Jesse was, and that's where we're getting hurt the most on defense.
Disagree. The reason we need a shot blocker is where we are getting hurt most.

Bell, JJ, and Judah can't keep their guy in front of them.

The shot blocker would help the problem. The problem would still exist.

First, welcome. I've been posting here for two decades. Enjoy it. Take it in stride. It's helpful if you have a sense of humor about it all a bit.

Second, while I respect your post, I actually disagree with part of it. I do not think we've doubled to help Maliq (pre/on catch/on dribble) very much at all. And I think part of that is that our guys may be getting pulled, but they are just poor defenders (at least most of them). You not only need to be athletic, you need to be studied and you need to be communicative.

I actually think Red purposefully takes what Maliq can give us because 1) he's been doing this all year while being our team's MVP and can't be expected not to be exhausted and 2) the other guys aren't good defenders consistently. Re #2, it means we can't stop the ball at the point of attack. Chris Bell got hunted the other game over and over and over. Judah is, at best, sporadic in his ability to fight through a screen or even if he switches, staying engaged, for example.

Of course Kidd is going to eat Maliq up. Maliq is out of position, our most important player on both ends, and has been bearing the weight of it all all year. He's running out of gas and he can only fight position and poke for steals and spike for boards so much.

Anyway, while I disagree with your full take, it's a respectable take and you should definitely keep posting.

Well said. When you're up 15+ points, its best to have your opponent shooting 2s as opposed to 3s.
They pushed it down to 7 with a lot of scoring in the paint as well. ND did also. Their one guy was hitting threes from the top of arc 3 during the 29 pt comeback but a lot of damage was done in the paint. I would like to see Maliq hold his own better down low. Lately he's been giving up quite a few easy inside buckets.

They pushed it down to 7 with a lot of scoring in the paint as well. ND did also. Their one guy was hitting threes from the top of arc 3 during the 29 pt comeback but a lot of damage was done in the paint. I would like to see Maliq hold his own better down low. Lately he's been giving up quite a few easy inside buckets.

You know when Maliq gives up even more inside buckets?

When he’s on the bench, due to foul trouble.

Carey is a walking foul magnet, and Hima’s a gimp.

We pretty much have Maliq in the middle, and not much else.
So naturally he’s going to try to avoid picking up fouls, since we desperately need him on the court for 30+ minutes every game.

Not to pile on too much on OP, because others covered it too. Autry was specifically asked this in the postgame presser. The plan was to shut down the the perimeter shooting which we did. The gameplan was to leave Maliq on an island, which he was. I think a better way to put it is where does the help come from when an adjustment is needed and then where is help needed from the portal, which we all know another big is needed.

Maliq is going to dominate the 4 and 5 next year in the ACC. Kid was one of the few 5's that got rolling on him, he played a good game and good for him but the lead didn't get much past 5 or 7 I think.

Look around the ACC right now and tell me what true 5's are coming back that can handle Brown next year. Every good big man in the ACC is a Senior out the door in March and yet Brown might have 2 years left. Maybe when we're in the tourney we'll have issues with a true post 5 but will worry about that then.

I don't know that there is much to change here. He's just not a physical player. This is one of those things that has to be addressed in the off season so he's not asked to do things he shouldn't have to next year.

I don't know that there is much to change here. He's just not a physical player. This is one of those things that has to be addressed in the off season so he's not asked to do things he shouldn't have to next year.
On the offensive end is where they need to get Brown more touches to make his man have to work on defense.
That is the biggest problem with Judah, he doesn't very often look to make a pass inside.
That is where Q being the point guard would be a big difference.
Make the opposing teams bigs work hard on the defensive end.

if I was the VA tech coach I would have demanded lynn shoot 30 shots that game...and it wouldve been a nightmare for the orange. it was like a knife through butter. shocked they didnt keep going to that.

maliq isnt really a center and considering that hes been amazing...but still would be nice to have an actual center playing center.

its gonna be tough vs the right mathcup and foul trouble...if it happens...so far theyve been able to get by since benny was ooted...but its been dicey a few games...i think it is part of the reason the defense has lloked so bad in 2nd halves lately...picking the poison.

a big probelm is that maliq often has to play to not foul...but usually the center needs to foul to protect the rim...would be nice if the backups were able to play.

Agreed. It’s why he’s really out of position defending the 5. He’s not physical enough to keep big guys from getting position down low.

He really does a nice job farther out poking the ball away. But, that’s not ideal.

On the offensive end is where they need to get Brown more touches to make his man have to work on defense.
That is the biggest problem with Judah, he doesn't very often look to make a pass inside.
That is where Q being the point guard would be a big difference.
Make the opposing teams bigs work hard on the defensive end.
I don't know. When he touches the ball he doesn't look to do much other than pass. He's good at finding guys, but I don't know that that makes his man work. He needs to be more aggressive looking to score or giving him more touches doesn't change much.

He plays every minute like he has 4 fouls, he’s still poking the ball and rebounding but his defense overall has been quite poor lately.

Disagree. The reason we need a shot blocker is where we are getting hurt most.

Bell, JJ, and Judah can't keep their guy in front of them.

The shot blocker would help the problem. The problem would still exist.
This

He is a pure forward who has no business against centers. Now he has shut them down a few times but when they get close, its hard for him.

Good first post! Keep 'em coming!

Agreed. It’s why he’s really out of position defending the 5. He’s not physical enough to keep big guys from getting position down low.

He really does a nice job farther out poking the ball away. But, that’s not ideal.

I've seen him try, but I think he needs to front, or 3/4 face guard, the guy in the post more often. He has to beat them to their spot, and he has to try harder to keep the man from getting in too deep.

The problem w that is when we go cold, which happens often, those 2s almost scored at will, can erase those leads quick. Luckily we've been building enough of a cushion to stave off the losses lately.

The problem w that is when we go cold, which happens often, those 2s almost scored at will, can erase those leads quick. Luckily we've been building enough of a cushion to stave off the losses lately.

I do think this is a fair concern.

I do think Red would rather give up twos than threes, but if Maliq is so tired that they are basically doing a layup line, Red has to adjust the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom