Man to man primary? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Man to man primary?

Kids have been watching steph curry and emulating him in their back yard since 08 but yes please tell me how good an idea zone defense is going forward
I don’t disagree, but there’s been a lot of three pointers made in the tournament and everyone is playing man. I think Pack had seven for Miami and they played all man and couldn’t stop him. If people think going man is going to stop teams from making three pointers, they’re going to be disappointed.

Situational and roster makeup. Trying to force a square peg in a round hole some years was very frustrating. Our zone was the best for so long, but even the best zone doesn’t hold up in the metrics of 3 pointer age. Let’s hope red takes the components of that killer zone plus playing great man and put them together like JB did so successfully in 90s

and even worse the EXTENDED 3 pointer in the 3 point age that didnt impact shooting %. There is a reason why its so much easier to get the ball into the middle today.

its like running a 46 defense against a spread offense.

I don’t disagree, but there’s been a lot of three pointers made in the tournament and everyone is playing man. I think Pack had seven for Miami and they played all man and couldn’t stop him. If people think going man is going to stop teams from making three pointers, they’re going to be disappointed.

There’s also the fact that from that ‘08 mark to about 2018, the worst thing a team could be if they wanted to beat us was 3-point reliant, statistically speaking.

I think the biggest plus with man should be rebounding. A minus will be fouls. We fouled the least in the ACC. I doubt that will be the case playing man defense. There are still plus and minuses with both defenses. There’s a place for both.

it is the volume of 3p shots. we were 361st this year of opponent made 3pointers per game (10.3). we were 362nd last year (10.2).

we were 363 in opponent 3p attempts (29.9. next closest was VA military at 29.3). we were 363 last year at 30.7, VA Military was 30.3.

there are 363 teams FYI.

Teams either shoot 3's or FT's or dunks as is... but more vs a zone.

I think the biggest plus with man should be rebounding. A minus will be fouls. We fouled the least in the ACC. I doubt that will be the case playing man defense. There are still plus and minuses with both defenses. There’s a place for both.

We may find out that Jim Boeheim had actual reasons for what he was doing. We may still disagree with them but we may gain some understanding about it.

Red to JB for the past 8 years: “we’re having trouble landing the elite players because they don’t want to play zone because the knock against us is that it will hurt their chances for the NBA”

JB’s response: “nonsense, they don’t know anything about basketball, they’re only 17 years old, we’re sticking with the zone”

(Recruiting dramatically falls off)

(Syracuse basketball performance dramatically falls off)

(JB retires, Red takes over)

Red to top 50 recruits as soon as he became the HC: “hey I’m the head coach now and we’re going to be primarily man, with a sprinkling of zone and press to remain versatile depending on the situation”

Top 50 recruits: “sounds great, I’ll add you back to my top 5 and I’ll come for a visit”
Top 5s are great, but commitments matter. Hopefully they come. JB lead teams were in plenty of Top 5s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom