Manning, Roethlisberger and Rivers | Syracusefan.com

Manning, Roethlisberger and Rivers

SWC75

Bored Historian
They were all drafted in 2004, Manning #1 by the Chargers, Rivers #4 by the Giants and Roethlisberger #11 by the Steelers. The Chargers and Giants traded Manning and Rivers, who played behind Drew Brees for his first couple of years. manning has, at least for now, lost his job to David Jones. Roethlisberger is out for the season and may be contemplating retirement. How do you rank them?

Manning has completed 60.3% of his passes for an average of 7.0 yards per attempt and 11.6 per catch with 362TDs and 241 interceptions. He's been the Giants' quarterback for 116 wins and 116 losses but has won 2 Super Bowls and was MVP of each game.

Rivers has completed 64.6% of his passes for an average of 7.8 yards per attempt and 12.1 per catch with 377TDs and 180 interceptions. He's been the Chargers' quarterback for 119 wins and 91 losses but has never made the Super Bowl.

Roethlisberger has completed 64.3% of his passes for an average of 7.8 yards per attempt and 12.1 per catch with 363TDs and 191 interceptions. He's been the Steelers' quarterback for 144 wins and 71 losses, (with 1 tie) and has won 2 Super Bowls but was not MVP of either game.

Roethlisberger
Manning
Rivers

Big Ben has had the benefit of having better teams around him. Eli took advantage of getting hot at the right times twice. Rivers just couldn't get over the hump.

All 3 are hall of famers.

Ben
Eli

Rivers.

Big Ben benefitted tremendously from unworldly WR and RB talent.

Rivers had Tomlinson in his prime.

The best QB overall Rivers
The toughest QB overall Roethlisberger
The clutchest QB overall Manning.

All 3 are getting into the HOF but Manning has the worst resume of the 3.

All pretty close statistically. Hard to put a rapist in the HOF. Didn't see enough of Rivers but was always very good when I did. Eli has two rings and the worst QB body language I've ever seen, though Giants fans will take that trade off.

Give me Ben, Rivers, then Eli. Everyone talks about Eli's rings. Dude never led his team to more than 23 points in any NFC championship game or Super Bowl so I don't know that he's actually too responsible for anything besides just steadying the ship. He's closer to Blake Bortles and Andy Dalton in YPG than either of the other 2. He's not remotely near them in career QB rating, he's actually below Flacco, Jameis and Keenum there. Only thing he's close to the other 2 in is passing yards and that's because he's played 20 more games than Rivers. He's played 16 more than Ben, an entire extra season and still has less yards, less tds and 50 more Ints. 50!!!! And he's a .500 QB. He can go in the hall of the occasionally very good and usually very average. I'd rather Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Edgerrin James get in. At least for a few years they were considered elite at their position and had long careers. Eli has never ever been a top 5 QB in the NFL at any point. How the hell ya gonna go into the Hall of Fame when you were never even a top 5 player at your position for any point of a damn near 20 year career? End of ramble.

Total package: Eli. Never gets hurt. Leader. Class act. Handled the NY media garbage. For those who act like he was a career long game manager: he carried the 2011 team all season. That defense sucked until the playoffs. The running game was terrible. Eli and the passing game carried that team.

Ben was a better player but a detriment in the locker room and off the field.

Total package: Eli. Never gets hurt. Leader. Class act. Handled the NY media garbage. For those who act like he was a career long game manager: he carried the 2011 team all season. That defense sucked until the playoffs. The running game was terrible. Eli and the passing game carried that team.

That same year Matthew Stafford threw for more yards, more tds with less picks with an equally bad defense and went 10-6 instead of 9-7. It's just that someones defense showed up in the playoffs. Hint: It wasn't the Lions.

That same year Matthew Stafford threw for more yards, more tds with less picks with an equally bad defense and went 10-6 instead of 9-7. It's just that someones defense showed up in the playoffs. Hint: It wasn't the Lions.

Giants would’ve been 5-11 if Eli wasn’t lights out all season.

Give me Ben, Rivers, then Eli. Everyone talks about Eli's rings. Dude never led his team to more than 23 points in any NFC championship game or Super Bowl so I don't know that he's actually too responsible for anything besides just steadying the ship. He's closer to Blake Bortles and Andy Dalton in YPG than either of the other 2. He's not remotely near them in career QB rating, he's actually below Flacco, Jameis and Keenum there. Only thing he's close to the other 2 in is passing yards and that's because he's played 20 more games than Rivers. He's played 16 more than Ben, an entire extra season and still has less yards, less tds and 50 more Ints. 50!!!! And he's a .500 QB. He can go in the hall of the occasionally very good and usually very average. I'd rather Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Edgerrin James get in. At least for a few years they were considered elite at their position and had long careers. Eli has never ever been a top 5 QB in the NFL at any point. How the hell ya gonna go into the Hall of Fame when you were never even a top 5 player at your position for any point of a damn near 20 year career? End of ramble.

All fair points. The picks (241) and fumbles lost (100) are a killer to me. Most games turn on turnovers and that's a big reason why he is a .500 QB.

I don't feel Eli belongs in the HoF but I can't argue any of your points here. He def is a class act.

All fair points. The picks (241) and fumbles lost (100) are a killer to me. Most games turn on turnovers and that's a big reason why he is a .500 QB.
And a lot were when the game was lost.

Someday, someone will watch and chart every Eli INT, and the results will be staggering.

Receivers running made up routes on timing patterns.

Tipped balls by line.

Balls bouncing off receivers hands to DBs.

Halftime Hail Marys.

Eli never cared about ‘rating’.

Which can helpful when you are one of the all time NFL leaders in 4th Qtr comebacks and you have to spike it. Just like how he’d rather throw it out of bounds then take a sack ala Rivers.

Someday, someone will watch and chart every Eli INT, and the results will be staggering.

Tipped balls by line.

Halftime Hail Marys.

Which can helpful when you are one of the all time NFL leaders in 4th Qtr comebacks and you have to spike it. Just like how he’d rather throw it out of bounds then take a sack ala Rivers.
He never cared about rating?
Like who?
The guy at his best was never one of the best at his position.

If the HOF is about the best of the best then the guy has no business in the HOF.

Eli Manning is the Joe Namath of the Giants with more stats compiled.

Phil Rivers played an AFC title game with a torn ACL. That dude doesn't duck from a pass rush and throw it out bounds.

He never cared about rating?
Like who?
The guy at his best was never one of the best at his position.

If the HOF is about the best of the best then the guy has no business in the HOF.

Eli Manning is the Joe Namath of the Giants with more stats compiled.

Phil Rivers played an AFC title game with a torn ACL. That dude doesn't duck from a pass rush and throw it out bounds.
Yes he does.

He also is the king of dumps to his HOF RB and HOF TE.

Yes he does.

He also is the king of dumps to his HOF RB and HOF TE.
Giants fans calling any QB the king of dumps after what Eli has done the last 5 years is amazing.
Barkley had like 14 catches in a game against the Cowboys last year and Barkley had a lot of catches the whole season because all Eli did was dump it off to him.

Eli wasn't devoid of talent his career. He had Odell Beckham Jr. Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress, Hakeem Nicks first round pick, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith. The Giants have spent a first round pick on a TE as well in Evan Engram.

He didn't have bums nobody has a team filled with studs.
Philip Rivers is a better QB than Eli Manning. That isn't even a question. Rivers has been a top 5 guy in lots of seasons. He has been good. Eli's best seasons is barely a top 10 QB.

When you have Mike Greenberg on your side. I am comfortable with my opinions.
Ryan Clark an actual players tells the truth.

When you have Mike Greenberg on your side. I am comfortable with my opinions.
Ryan Clark an actual players tells the truth.
Ryan Clark hates the Giants.

And those Giant receivers u mentioned all sucked, were past their prime or hadn’t Eli elevate them for a year till their flaws were exposed and they ended up out of the league quick

Manning won some big games.. he hasnt been ranked in top 10 QBR in almost a decade. he had a ton of pretty avg years like a lot of QBs that play a ton of games.

He was a game manager QB at its finest. Ben took over games. Rivers did a ton with an Avg Arm.

If Ben doestnt get in I dont think any of them do.

Tipped balls by line.

Halftime Hail Marys.

All three QBs belong in the Hall, IMHO.

But you act like those things never happen to anyone else.

All three QBs belong in the Hall, IMHO.

But you act like those things never happen to anyone else.
Oh they do, of course they do.

But the alarmingly repeated mistakes but the giants crack WR Corp has been a running theme throughout his career.

And to just ignore it and look at stats from 30,000 feet is ignorant.

I could probably look at every year if his career in the yards, TDs and rating catagory and find 3 people higher than him every year, who never did it again or maybe did it 1x.

Was Brees and Ben and Rodgers and Peyton and Brady always higher? Most likely, but who cares?

He was always there.

Giants fans calling any QB the king of dumps after what Eli has done the last 5 years is amazing.
Barkley had like 14 catches in a game against the Cowboys last year and Barkley had a lot of catches the whole season because all Eli did was dump it off to him.

Eli wasn't devoid of talent his career. He had Odell Beckham Jr. Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress, Hakeem Nicks first round pick, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith. The Giants have spent a first round pick on a TE as well in Evan Engram.

He didn't have bums nobody has a team filled with studs.
Philip Rivers is a better QB than Eli Manning. That isn't even a question. Rivers has been a top 5 guy in lots of seasons. He has been good. Eli's best seasons is barely a top 10 QB.

Should be noted that Plaxico, Nicks, Smith, and Manningham all were at their best with the Giants. Coincidence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom