Marek's Food Preferences | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marek's Food Preferences

He was the key to us actually scoring against Duke in the tournament. If he doesn’t get in foul trouble our chances of winning would’ve been much higher.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that he wouldn’t benefit from getting stronger. Every player would, but especially a skinny front court player.

I just think it’s overblown. Not THAT big of a story IMO. It’s more about strength than bulk with a body type like that anyway.

I know but, again, you think Duke was worried about Dolezaj? They could’ve cared less. There will be a time soon where Dolezaj will merit being guarded and he’ll have to hold up.

I know but, again, you think Duke was worried about Dolezaj? They could’ve cared less. There will be a time soon where Dolezaj will merit being guarded and he’ll have to hold up.

Yes? He was the focal point of our offense in the first half against their zone...moreso passing than scoring but he was scoring too.

Marek getting in foul trouble killed our chances to win.

Yup. I may not be perfectly on the money with the numbers but we were up like 6 or so when he had to come out with his 3rd foul at like the 8 minute mark, and then we were down 6 or so at the half? Those 8 minutes killed us. We couldn’t score once he came out.

We were the better team for the other 32 minutes.

Yes? He was the focal point of our offense in the first half against their zone...moreso passing than scoring but he was scoring too.

Alright I’ll split the difference. Were they worried about him? No. Zone does help him out on offense a great deal. Was he effective? For sure. ;)

Last edited:
Living in a foreign country his familiar food favorites are no longer available. I wonder if this is a factor in not being able to gain weight. I wonder what his favorite US foods are, and what does he miss.
He did not gain weight back home. Maybe his metabolism is just too high, regardless of diet?
Did Chewy finally gain any weight?
Do we have a sports nutritionist on staff?

My paternal grandparents emigrated from Slovakia. My grandmother was a wonderful cook. The Slovak food I grew up with was pretty similar to Polish food such as served at Eva's in Solvay. Don't know if Marek has found that place yet. But he'd certainly recognize the food.

Coincidentally, as I was writing this, my Slovak cousin just stopped by with a tray of halupke, a few pierogis and a couple links of kielbasa. Marek, if you are reading this, stop by for dinner!

My paternal grandparents emigrated from Slovakia. My grandmother was a wonderful cook. The Slovak food I grew up with was pretty similar to Polish food such as served at Eva's in Solvay. Don't know if Marek has found that place yet. But he'd certainly recognize the food.

Coincidentally, as I was writing this, my Slovak cousin just stopped by with a tray of halupke, a few pierogis and a couple links of kielbasa. Marek, if you are reading this, stop by for dinner!

Good stuff! Love a proper kielbasa (definitely NO Hillshire Farms or Johnsonville garbage). Ukrainians have a version of ‘halupke” and of course stuffed cabbage and pierogi/pyrohy. My mom’s borscht is still the bomb. Utica for instance still has a Ukrainian small butcher shop curing and smoking their own kielbasa.

Fairfield, CT, of all odd places, has an authentic Hungarian butcher shop. All the wonderful greasy stuff I grew up with. Lots of pork and bacon products ... and lots of paprika.

Fairfield, CT, of all odd places, has an authentic Hungarian butcher shop. All the wonderful greasy stuff I grew up with. Lots of pork and bacon products ... and lots of paprika.

There’s a great Hungarian vendor here in Cleveland with a shop/stall inside the West Side Market. They do some great double-smoked kielbasas, bacon, and head cheeses with tons of hot paprika. Love it...in moderation!

Good stuff! Love a proper kielbasa (definitely NO Hillshire Farms or Johnsonville garbage). Ukrainians have a version of ‘halupke” and of course stuffed cabbage and pierogi/pyrohy. My mom’s borscht is still the bomb. Utica for instance still has a Ukrainian small butcher shop curing and smoking their own kielbasa.

Good kielbasa is hard to find indeed. My family has polish roots and was my favorite thing growing up. We had a really good polish family butcher in Nepa my grandmother used to get it from. Reading this now I'm craving it big-time lol. I just can't buy the big name store stuff. It takes nothing like real kielbasa.

Last edited:
Living in a foreign country his familiar food favorites are no longer available. I wonder if this is a factor in not being able to gain weight. I wonder what his favorite US foods are, and what does he miss.
He did not gain weight back home. Maybe his metabolism is just too high, regardless of diet?
Probably ice pops

Good kielbasa is hard to find indeed. My family has polish roots and was my favorite thing growing up. We had a really good polish family butcher in Nepa my grandmother used to get it from. Reading this now I'm craving it big-time lol. I just can't buy the big name store stuff. It takes nothing like real kielbasa.

Wife and I just made stuffed cabbage, potatoe pierogie, and sauerkraut with kielbasi. Off course I use a good amount of salt pork in the cabbage and some in the sauerkraut for flavor. We are very popular with the neighbors when we send over gift packages. Caution to the wind

Some of the best kielbasa I've had was from Stanley Provision in Hartford. Don't know if they are still in business, but good memories of the different kinds they made.
Their horseradish would blow the hair out of your head just smelling it.

Some people just can't gain weight. I was a rail until I was 25, now I eat half of what I did then and seems like I gain weight just driving by McDonald's.

The important thing about Marek's weight gain is that he actually does now have the height to be our 3rd string center. Syracuse.com reported about a month ago that he's gone from 6'9 to 6'10, which is obviously center caliber height. But we can't really count on Marek to be an effective emergency center without putting on some weight. Getting up to even 195 would be a huge help for those purposes.

tenor.gif

A lot of it is, yes. Some of my family grew up in Utica. Ukrainians so I’m aware. But, not all Eastern Europe is like that. You start getting more into Serbia/Croatia and it is much different. Less heavy gravies and lard. More color in dishes. More pickled vegetables. Bulgaria, and of course Armenia/Georgia is pretty much middle-eastern food like we all know which is obviously dynamite eats!

There are a lot of Serbians and or Croatians there.

Just no Hillshire Farms or Johnsonville posts...those are aboslute garbage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom