Marianatto resigns as BE commish | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marianatto resigns as BE commish

You know, I've read this several times, and nowhere do I see mention of Rutgers. Is that how irrelevant they have become?

Well, they're a football school, and their invitation to the Big 10 is coming any day now ...

The history of the Big East is a classic example of a three-generation family that keeps handing over the family business to the oldest son ... without considering a talented outsider who's more knowledgable about what's happening in the industry. Patriarch Dave Gavitt was a visionary when he founded the Big East 30-plus years ago, marrying it perfectly with the young ESPN.

However, when it became clear that football was driving the intercollegiate bus, the guys from the Providence family were not capable of dealing with the new landscape. They were too rooted in the past and the idea of basketball-only schools. As a result, twice in a row, the Providence fathers (no pun intended) kept putting more of their own sons at the reins.

Tranghese and Marinatto are both nice guys. They were just wrong for the job.

Great post, Joyce.

Only thing I'd add is that a lot of the blame also has to be placed on the membership itself. Whether it was the football schools not pushing aggressively enough either for innovative expansion, or an outright split, at any point from the late 90s to now; or whether it was the hoops schools not recognizing the reality of the college athletics landscape; there was a colossal failure of leadership in this conference, both from the Commissioners *and* from the various ADs and Presidents.

If the bball onlies did break away, I would hope they are smart enough not to bring any football schools into the mix. It doomed the conference once, no need to repeat that error.

That would leave UConn, Cincy, Ville, UMass, and Temple on the outside.

Still, it's a strong conference, and it has to be where all of this is headed.

The Ville is out, on their way to join the Hoopies. However, Rutgers is still in. Then you've got ODU and James Madison moving up, along with maybe NC Charlotte and Navy. And you can't forget Villanova.

That makes a heckuva good FCS conference. Not a bad D1 hoops conference either.

I'm still laughing about Joe Baggadonuts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom