Marinatto Has Thrown Down the Gauntlet | Syracusefan.com

Marinatto Has Thrown Down the Gauntlet

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
It's being reported that Marinatto is planning to host the Big East Football Championship games in New York City. Take THAT Swofford!

Can you see it now: UCF vs. SMU for the 2014 championship game before an announced crowd of 22,000. This is even dumber than the ACC's practice of hosting their championship game at a neutral NFL stadium.

It's being reported that Marinatto is planning to host the Big East Football Championship games in New York City. Take THAT Swofford!

Can you see it now: UCF vs. SMU for the 2014 championship game before an announced crowd of 22,000.

I think you're being generous.

Can you see it now: UCF vs. SMU for the 2014 championship game before an announced crowd of 22,000. This is even dumber than the ACC's practice of hosting their championship game at a neutral NFL stadium.

Just dumb. Why would they even consider that? It is pretty simple if you ask me, best record is the "host" in the nearest major stadium.

RU- Meadowlands
UConn- Foxboro
WV- Heniz
UL/Cincy- Paul Brown
USF- RayJay
HOU- Reliant
SMU- Cotton Bowl
UCF- Citrus Bowl
Navy- FedEx
Air Force- Mile High
Boise- stays at home

That IMO is the best chance at getting 50k for a game and keeps a team from having a true home field advantage (except for Boise).

"And for tonight's dinner on the Titanic, we will be having steamed lobster. We will also have outdoor musical entertainment on the main deck for you to enjoy later this evening."

The smartest thing they could do, if a championship game is in the cards, would be to allow the number one seed to host. At least that would allow for the possibility of a little fan interest.

Or maybe Michie Stadium (which, Syracuse bias aside, I always felt would be the most sensible place to host NYS HS FB state championships- but that's another issue).

Not like the BEC has a workable plan at this point, anyway.

"And for tonight's dinner on the Titanic, we will be having steamed lobster. We will also have outdoor musical entertainment on the main deck for you to enjoy later this evening."

And a Whale Watch in the Lifeboats.

This guy is such a tool. I cant believe he heads up the big east guy should resign

St. John's can host it on their soccer pitch.

The ACC finally lucked out last season when their game was a short trip for the Hokie faithful. Putting a bunch of muck in Giants Stadium in December isn't going to draw flies.

St. John's can host it on their soccer pitch.

The ACC finally lucked out last season when their game was a short trip for the Hokie faithful. Putting a bunch of muck in Giants Stadium in December isn't going to draw flies.

The best one would without a doubt be SMU vs. UCF. The place would be all but empty.

We need to start winning championships this year. make the BE want us gone.

The best one would without a doubt be SMU vs. UCF. The place would be all but empty.

We need to start winning championships this year. make the BE want us gone.

I think those fans would show. They seem to actually care somewhat about their teams. The worst IMO would be Cincy (did you see Paul Brown last week?) and USF. UCF averages about the same as USF playing in CUSA and a lot smaller stadium. Also Cincy couldn't sell out their tiny stadium when Kelly was there. Worst two fanbases in BE IMO. Neither shoulda been invited in 2004.

I think those fans would show. They seem to actually care somewhat about their teams. The worst IMO would be Cincy (did you see Paul Brown last week?) and USF. UCF averages about the same as USF playing in CUSA and a lot smaller stadium. Also Cincy couldn't sell out their tiny stadium when Kelly was there. Worst two fanbases in BE IMO. Neither shoulda been invited in 2004.

The ACC football schools feel the same way about Syracuse and Pitt.

Just dumb. Why would they even consider that? It is pretty simple if you ask me, best record is the "host" in the nearest major stadium.

RU- Meadowlands
UConn- Foxboro
WV- Heniz
UL/Cincy- Paul Brown
USF- RayJay
HOU- Reliant
SMU- Cotton Bowl
UCF- Citrus Bowl
Navy- FedEx
Air Force- Mile High
Boise- stays at home

That IMO is the best chance at getting 50k for a game and keeps a team from having a true home field advantage (except for Boise).

Best idea in theory, but how do you get those stadiums to all sign up and then possibly only give them 1 week's notice, assuming the season came down to the last week. Seems like they'd want a commitment at least a year, if not more, in advance.

If they wanted something close to a full stadium, they need to drop it down a notch and do what (I believe) CUSA does. Best team hosts the game at their home field. Easiest to avoid scheduling conflicts and won't have to make some prior commitment (with the exception of USF whose home is the NFL stadium).

RE UC fans - the crowd at PBS last week was the 3rd largest in school history at around 45,000 (gotta figure a few UL fans were there too since its only 90 miles away). They did sell out Nippert several times when Kelly was here and will again as Jones keeps the team exciting. Its hard to compare the fans of any school that is in an NFL city. 45,000 would have more than sold out Nippert but looked empty in 70,000 seat PBS. The Bengals (until a couple years ago) had sold out every home game for over 20 years. UC's fanbase is 3rd behind the Bengals and high school football. I've been to high school games at PBS with more than 45,000 fans there. Its a commuter school. 35,000 students but only 4,000 live on campus. Cincinnati is a very neighborhood driven city. Students go to class at UC then go home to their own community and are more likely to go to their HS football game on Friday than back to UC (or PBS) on a Saturday (especially if they have Bengals tickets for Sunday). UC games at PBS could become an event but it will take a while. Personally, I love games at Nippert. So what if there aren't 50 or 60 or 100,000 other fans there. That doesn't make it better for me. I will miss the annual games SU plays at either UC or Louisville.

If they wanted something close to a full stadium, they need to drop it down a notch and do what (I believe) CUSA does. Best team hosts the game at their home field. Easiest to avoid scheduling conflicts and won't have to make some prior commitment (with the exception of USF whose home is the NFL stadium).

For attendance it would be best to have the team with the best record host but IMO that isn't really fair. What if the East is weak and UConn goes 7-1 while the West is strong and SMU goes 6-2 and beat UConn head to head? That is why neutral is the fairest thing to do. However with such weak fanbases in the BE, no one would show up.

Actually I think my idea wouldn't work either. If UConn hosted SMU at Foxboro I think you would see 30k there. I guess the best thing to do would be have the highest BCS ranked team host. That way if SMU is 9-3 (6-2) #20 and UConn is 9-3 (7-1) #38, the better team would host.

Bottomline, I am glad we are out of this mess. Then again the ACC has the same problem to a lessor extent. Outside of VT, FSU, or Clemson making the ACC CG would they get over 50k? And even with a semi neutral game like my idea above, the ACC would struggle to get 50k if half the teams hosted the game. Maybe the ACC needs to have the highest BCS team host?

For attendance it would be best to have the team with the best record host but IMO that isn't really fair. What if the East is weak and UConn goes 7-1 while the West is strong and SMU goes 6-2 and beat UConn head to head? That is why neutral is the fairest thing to do. However with such weak fanbases in the BE, no one would show up.

Actually I think my idea wouldn't work either. If UConn hosted SMU at Foxboro I think you would see 30k there. I guess the best thing to do would be have the highest BCS ranked team host. That way if SMU is 9-3 (6-2) #20 and UConn is 9-3 (7-1) #38, the better team would host.

Bottomline, I am glad we are out of this mess. Then again the ACC has the same problem to a lessor extent. Outside of VT, FSU, or Clemson making the ACC CG would they get over 50k? And even with a semi neutral game like my idea above, the ACC would struggle to get 50k if half the teams hosted the game. Maybe the ACC needs to have the highest BCS team host?

ACC needs to keep it in Charlotte, maybe stretch to Fedex (to keep me happy which is what it's all about). Charlotte gives you your best shot at attendance from the most schools (VT, UVA, MD, 4 NC schools, Clemson can all make that trip quick enough). That's 8 out of 14. SU traveled well to UNC, think there are enough local transplants to at least make it look like there was an effort. SU, Pitt, BC, Miami, you're not going to get people unless the game is at Meadowlands, Heinz, Foxboro, Dolphins Stadium, and you'd need to set those up early so, outside of NYC and its exposure, there's no reason for the risk on the others. Which leaves GT and FSU. Best bet for GT is obviously Hotlanta, but SEC isn't given up that locale so that's out. Jax could be a good turnout for them, but I think they didn't show up so great when they played Wake that one year. FSU would fill Jax, but probably give you a good showing in Charlotte. I know VT engulfed them last year, but I still think they had a pretty good # there.

The ACC should add one more team and have 3 pods of 5 with division winner and a wildcard. 2 playoff games in Florida, Washington, NY/NJ or Boston and the championship in Charlotte.

please - Cincy has a very solid bball program and their football team dominated the BE for two years (and gave the BE a team ranked in the final top 10) during the period since they came in while SU was in the basement - they were hardly a bad addition given the timing and situation.

ACC needs to keep it in Charlotte, maybe stretch to Fedex (to keep me happy which is what it's all about). Charlotte gives you your best shot at attendance from the most schools (VT, UVA, MD, 4 NC schools, Clemson can all make that trip quick enough). That's 8 out of 14.

I still disagree with that. Wake would bring how many to Charlotte? Maybe 15k? If they can't get 30k at home how would they get people to travel to Charlotte? UVA and MD would bring 10k each? Neither are known as travelling fanbases. Also they likely wouldn't know for sure that they are in the ACC CG until a week before. Would Duke bring anyone? They have a small fanbase and most of their alumni aren't in NC. So really IMO that is 4 out of 14 that would bring significant numbers to the game. No way you get 50k there if one of those 4 is not in it.

please - Cincy has a very solid bball program and their football team dominated the BE for two years (and gave the BE a team ranked in the final top 10) during the period since they came in while SU was in the basement - they were hardly a bad addition given the timing and situation.

Still a bad choice. At the time of the choice NO ONE knew that Cincy would be good at FB. Also explain to me how having TCU would not have been better? Who is to say that HOU wouldn't have done what Cincy did? Cincy grew to where they got. They weren't there when they were chosen. Other choices could have grown as well. Heck ECU could have easily reproduced what Cincy did (although they get left out due to market).

The BE needs fanbases and markets. Cincy doesn't provide either. UCF, HOU, and TCU should have been chosen over them.

I still disagree with that. Wake would bring how many to Charlotte? Maybe 15k? If they can't get 30k at home how would they get people to travel to Charlotte? UVA and MD would bring 10k each? Neither are known as travelling fanbases. Also they likely wouldn't know for sure that they are in the ACC CG until a week before. Would Duke bring anyone? They have a small fanbase and most of their alumni aren't in NC. So really IMO that is 4 out of 14 that would bring significant numbers to the game. No way you get 50k there if one of those 4 is not in it.

Just jumping into this thread, outside of Charlotte and maybe the Danny, that's about what you have in the ACC. Raleigh can host it also. Baltimore is a shade too north and too provincial and Atlanta is owned by the SEC.

Still a bad choice. At the time of the choice NO ONE knew that Cincy would be good at FB. Also explain to me how having TCU would not have been better? Who is to say that HOU wouldn't have done what Cincy did? Cincy grew to where they got. They weren't there when they were chosen. Other choices could have grown as well. Heck ECU could have easily reproduced what Cincy did (although they get left out due to market).

The BE needs fanbases and markets. Cincy doesn't provide either. UCF, HOU, and TCU should have been chosen over them.

Not that it matters, but Cincy gave in state kids that weren't Big 10 ready a shot to play for a BCS program as opposed to a MAC one, and for them it worked out really well.