Marquiese Blanchard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marquiese Blanchard

One thing to consider is that a lot of kids make a safe commitment early, have a blow up senior year and then get bigger offers late as Programs (like us) go cherry picking. Also, you cannot discount the fact that the new staff has at least generated interest in kids that have bigger offers and have even gotten several to visit, while only being on the job for about 2 weeks (Spearman for instance). That's where the "wait until they have a whole year to recruit" comes from.
I understand that. I'm just saying that we're projecting onto this staff super powers not yet in evidence. It could well turn out that these guys are great at recruiting MAC-level players and deep deep Florida sleepers.

Plus, what's the over/under on how long McDonald stays here? Any prediction of over 2 years falls into the "triumph of hope over experience" category.

I understand that. I'm just saying that we're projecting onto this staff super powers not yet in evidence. It could well turn out that these guys are great at recruiting MAC-level players and deep deep Florida sleepers.

Plus, what's the over/under on how long McDonald stays here? Any prediction of over 2 years falls into the "triumph of hope over experience" category.
Someone said he was making $275K at Arkansas to coach WR's. You can guess what he is making here as OC. If he leaves in 2 years, it will be as an OC somewhere else, making probably north of 600K. Which means he will have succeeded running his offense here. Which is a good thing.

I think Miami is going to pay Coley 500K to be their OC so that's probably the upper tier of OC pay short of being filthy rich like Alabama is.

If Miami can pay that then so can Syracuse.

If McDonald leaves Syracuse in only 2 years it's because he's either been fired or tremendously successful. If it's because he successful then Syracuse will be on solid ground offensively, in the ACC and will be just fine.

Didn't stop the excitement for flipping an ODU commit.

I'm not that excited about Scissum but I could make a couple of arguments in favor of him. He A) plays in rochester, ny which is probably lucky to see 3 or 4 D1 schools come through to scowt and B) was recruited to play midfield on Syracuse's lacrosse team. That alone is almost good enough for me.

Hate to make the comparison but Jovan Miller had two choices, Syracuse midfield or Syracuse secondary. I think he would've been a fine D1 safety.

I'm not that excited about Scissum but I could make a couple of arguments in favor of him. He A) plays in rochester, ny which is probably lucky to see 3 or 4 D1 schools come through to and B) was recruited to play midfield on Syracuse's lacrosse team. That alone is almost good enough for me.

Hate to make the comparison but Jovan Miller had two choices, Syracuse midfield or Syracuse secondary. I think he would've been a fine D1 safety.

Interesting on point A. When he got the offer from Shafer, I was wondering what NY players Marrone didn't offer that turned out to be quality players (assuming that Marrone was the reason Scissum didn't get an offer), since Syracuse prided itself on knowing NY talent the best.

Honestly, if Syracuse was going to flip a FCS kid, I prefer it be someone who was the sacks leader in high school in a talent rich state like Florida.

I think Miami is going to pay Coley 500K to be their OC so that's probably the upper tier of OC pay short of being filthy rich like Alabama is.

If Miami can pay that then so can Syracuse.

If McDonald leaves Syracuse in only 2 years it's because he's either been fired or tremendously successful. If it's because he successful then Syracuse will be on solid ground offensively, in the ACC and will be just fine.
What if McDonald is really successful as a recruiter, but the offense sucks under him? Which is quite possible, if you ask me.

What if McDonald is really successful as a recruiter, but the offense sucks under him? Which is quite possible, if you ask me.

Then he'll be back in the SEC as a WR coach.

What are you asking? Would you rather have recruits or wins?

No, was just challenging the argument that "if McDonald leaves Syracuse in only 2 years it's because he's either been fired or tremendously successful." Think it may be more likely that he was successful as a recruiter, but not as an OC. And, I admit, I harbor thoughts that McDonald was given the OC title and salary b/c of his recruiting talents, not necessarily his offensive mind. I'll be more than happy to admit that I was wrong, but I'm not prepared to 'trust this staff' until I'm given a reason.

Hey, I'm old and I'm crochety. Now get off my bleepin' lawn!

No, was just challenging the argument that "if McDonald leaves Syracuse in only 2 years it's because he's either been fired or tremendously successful." Think it may be more likely that he was successful as a recruiter, but not as an OC. And, I admit, I harbor thoughts that McDonald was given the OC title and salary b/c of his recruiting talents, not necessarily his offensive mind. I'll be more than happy to admit that I was wrong, but I'm not prepared to 'trust this staff' until I'm given a reason.

Hey, I'm old and I'm crochety. Now get off my bleepin' lawn!
If the offense isn't successful, he'll either be demoted or shown the door, regardless of how good a recruiter he is. You can always get recruiting from another position coach.

I understand. Just think that the principal attraction is/was his reputation as an uber-recruiter.

Good recruiters get promoted to offensive coordinator jobs as well.. geeze. Give the guy a chance. What

He has a very solid staff around him but lost his best 4 offensive players in Sales, Lemon, Pugh, and Nassib, IMO. SO lets show some patience too. He will need a bit of time for things to gel. However, if he continues to recruit well, he will probably look a lot better as an OC...

Rooting for him, completely willing to give him a chance. Just not willing to buy into the 'I trust the staff' meme. Not after P/GRob/ HCDM/ and now SS. Just trying to analyze things objectively.

That's my only point, and I've apparently made it poorly.

eric-the-midget-08.jpg

Dude you just made my day, ETM is my all time favorite Howard Stern Wackpacker. His call this week was hilarious when they played the clip of him being Eric the Show Killer.

Interesting article from WaPo. Not sure on the original date, but it says updated September 2012.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20120926150237940760108&ref=hea&tm=&src=

Clemson OC Chad Morris gets $1.3M. Highest paid assistant in the country.
FSU paid Trickett $440K.
Bill Lazor $453K at UVa.
$350K at VT.

Unrelated, but with the amount of money Clemson is throwing around, you have to think that some is ending up in recruits' hands.

Cheating in college recruiting?!! I'm shocked.

I've already said my piece about 'trust'.

This staff has proven that it can flip a couple of MAC kids, and get a couple of second-tier (in the eyes of the 'experts') kids from Florida.

And that's what we know: We can compete with MAC schools, and we can get kids below the Top 100 in Florida. Nothing more.

I'm not complaining. Just pointing out that those 'Just imagine if this staff gets a whole year to recruit...' memes have no proven basis in fact.
We had issues recruiting against the MAC as early as this season and definitely a few difficulties over the last 4 years. Lets not forget where we come.

I believe we lost out in a battle for a CB or Safety to Akron.

We had issues recruiting against the MAC as early as this season and definitely a few difficulties over the last 4 years. Lets not forget where we come.

I believe we lost out in a battle for a CB or Safety to Akron.

Yes we did ... kid from Cass Tech he actually went to Toledo however. Dujuan Rogers ... also missed on Stepec who went to Toledo as well. If anyone thinks that these kids with MAC level offers aren't talented then they don't watch much college football ... ODU is on the rise as well ... a kid at my gym played ball there and was talking about how quickly that talent level had grown in the last two years there as well ... its just one more school we will have to fight for some of the 3 star athletes in the coastal region.

Yes we did ... kid from Cass Tech he actually went to Toledo however. Dujuan Rogers ... also missed on Stepec who went to Toledo as well. If anyone thinks that these kids with MAC level offers aren't talented then they don't watch much college football ... ODU is on the rise as well ... a kid at my gym played ball there and was talking about how quickly that talent level had grown in the last two years there as well ... its just one more school we will have to fight for some of the 3 star athletes in the coastal region.

Yup, nailed it, Rogers is who I was referring to and I had forgotten Stepec, great call.. DOH! on Toledo... Facts weren't spot on, but the overall statement still holds.

Btw... ODU has been recruiting very well. They're planning to hit D1 with a fury. I will say that they take and land those recruits that are a little more risky, but they could likely compete in the MAC already.

ODU is definitely building. They are in the middle of a talent-rich, densely-populated area (Richmond/Norfolk/VaBeach). Beamer can't be too pleased with this development since he traditionally draws a large chunk of his talent from there.

ODU is definitely building. They are in the middle of a talent-rich, densely-populated area (Richmond/Norfolk/VaBeach). Beamer can't be too pleased with this development since he traditionally draws a large chunk of his talent from there.

Beamer used to have the Tidewater area locked down... ODU is starting to make inroads, however, Mike London is really making significant progress down there. It hasn't gone unnoticed by any VPI fan.

I first suggested him on the forum and would have been on board with hiring the ODU HC as our own HC.

Rooting for him, completely willing to give him a chance. Just not willing to buy into the 'I trust the staff' meme. Not after P/GRob/ HCDM/ and now SS. Just trying to analyze things objectively.

That's my only point, and I've apparently made it poorly.

Right so objectively, would be to judge on what we know right now. It looksl ike GMC is kicking ass out there. Will he be a great OC? probably not but he probably won't be attrocious either, he will have good games and bad ones like most coaches do, IMO. He also has a solid staff around him which will help.

You are right, we have no idea what this guy will do as an OC but I am willing to extend some latitude with the way he is recruiting.. It took Marrone 4 years to put any type of offense on the field? Will GMC get the same latitude? People wanted Hackett out after last year. In addition, this years offense lost their 4 best players IMO as well so we shall see. He also has a new system that he is putting in...

Right so objectively, would be to judge on what we know right now. It looksl ike GMC is kicking ass out there. Will he be a great OC? probably not but he probably won't be attrocious either, he will have good games and bad ones like most coaches do, IMO. He also has a solid staff around him which will help.

You are right, we have no idea what this guy will do as an OC but I am willing to extend some latitude with the way he is recruiting.. It took Marrone 4 years to put any type of offense on the field? Will GMC get the same latitude? People wanted Hackett out after last year. In addition, this years offense lost their 4 best players IMO as well so we shall see. He also has a new system that he is putting in...

They wanted Hackett and Marrone out in the middle of this year.