Marquis Spruill | Syracusefan.com

Marquis Spruill

orangencpolice

Starter
Did anyone else notice how hard Marquis Spruill hits defenders? They showed a couple of replays (including when he put a hit on the USC running back and knocked his helmet off) that showed him in slow motion. I was really impressed with how he targets defenders with "the big hit". If he was a Senior or Junior I might complain a little about not wrapping up, but can this kid hit. He is going to be something special the next two years. Go Cuse!

I think our linebackers are definitely the strength of this defense so far.

I wish Vaughn and Davis had a little more size but overall are doing a decent job. I thought our defensive backs were going to be our strongest group but have not represented their best ability yet. Hopefully after the injuries heal up they will get back on track. Tanner Price (WF) made our dbs look pretty bad.

Shamarko seems like the only guy who consistently wraps up. I don't know if the defensive coaches are teaching them to wrap or just run as hard as you can into the offensive player. Some pretty poor technique so far by thomas and spruill though I love their aggression.

Spruill is a MAN. Might end up being the best middle linebacker we've had since Antwaune Ponds.

I liked Ponds as much as the next guy, but more recently Keith Bulluck played some very good MLB for Syracuse.

No. 11 has been very impressive since he came to school as a true frosh in January, 2010.

Hopefully He is targeting the guys on offense, not defenders...kidding, guy is a player, no respect for his body at all

All I can say is both Spruill and Thomas hit VERY HARD. Spruill seems to be all over the field. Don't laugh but he kind of reminds me of a young Brian Bosworth (while at Oklahoma of course.)

The two make the best combination of speed and smack since Anthony Smith and Steve Gregory.

Bulluck played OLB (and Safety) at SU. Only played MLB in the pros.

Agent Orange, you are wrong. Bulluck played MLB. During times when Pasqualoni decided to get true frosh Clifton Smith some run at MLB, Bulluck switched outside. However, he played MLB mostly, especially after Clifton Smith's lack of foot speed versus certain teams became an issue.

Shamarko seems like the only guy who consistently wraps up. I don't know if the defensive coaches are teaching them to wrap or just run as hard as you can into the offensive player. Some pretty poor technique so far by thomas and spruill though I love their aggression.

I've seen Lyn wrap up pretty well on a bunch of occasions. Also seen him cramp up and throw up.

Agent Orange, you are wrong. Bulluck played MLB. During times when Pasqualoni decided to get true frosh Clifton Smith some run at MLB, Bulluck switched outside. However, he played MLB mostly, especially after Clifton Smith's lack of foot speed versus certain teams became an issue.

Technically, we're both wrong. Bulluck actually played the WILL. Here's a link with a quote from Coach P. stating it:

http://suathletics.com/news/2000/8/11/camp.aspx

He played middle linebacker. If memory serves, he had 20 tackles playing MLB in the Music City Bowl his senior year. Although it is not the end all be all for legitimate research, his wikipedia also indicates that he played MLB at Syracuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Bulluck

No big deal ... I'm still pissed that my Colts passed him up in the 1st round and took Rob Morris. Was hoping Bulluck would be there for their pick, ecstatic that he was still there and then willing to throw things through the television when they opted for Morris from BYU instead. Argh.

He played middle linebacker. If memory serves, he had 20 tackles playing MLB in the Music City Bowl his senior year. Although it is not the end all be all for legitimate research, his wikipedia also indicates that he played MLB at Syracuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Bulluck

No big deal ... I'm still pissed that my Colts passed him up in the 1st round and took Rob Morris. Was hoping Bulluck would be there for their pick, ecstatic that he was still there and then willing to throw things through the television when they opted for Morris from BYU instead. Argh.
The Buddha is right...Bulluck definitely played some MIKE at SU. And played it very well too...

My memory is bad then, I don't remember ever seeing Keith at MIKE. Remember him being a pretty good safety though.

My memory is bad then, I don't remember ever seeing Keith at MIKE. Remember him being a pretty good safety though.

We are all getting old ... I don't remember him being that good at safety. Man I do yearn for that type of team again though ... we had a ton of talent all over the place. Backups could definitely play. We simply struck out on QB recruiting for three straight years and that ended up being the lit match to the powder keg of our football team ... on to the future.

with chandler out (somewhat unimpressive so far) i think hands down spruill has been our best defender.he's a hitta!

We are all getting old ... I don't remember him being that good at safety. Man I do yearn for that type of team again though ... we had a ton of talent all over the place. Backups could definitely play. We simply struck out on QB recruiting for three straight years and that ended up being the lit match to the powder keg of our football team ... on to the future.

Yeah, he never really saw the field as a safety. We had Darius at free safety and I don't remember who the strong safety was in '96. They switched Bullock to LB prior to his sophomore year. Started at the will and moved to mike his senior year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom