Marrone needs a recruiter like this | Syracusefan.com

Marrone needs a recruiter like this

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
I'm constantly amazed at what a great job SU softball coach Leigh Ross does in recruiting and coaching. In this article it states she has snared one of the top 10 pitchers in the class of 2013. The best part of it is that Christina Clermont is from California.

If Ross can fashion a top 25 program in women's softball, a program that has zero tradition, then it should be child's play to do the same in football.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/may/07/clermont-has-veteran-presence-knights/?page=1#article

Just to be fair: I have no idea how rough the recruiting grounds are for softball in comparison to football. I think I get your point, but football/basketball recruitment is on a different level compared to baseball/soccer/softball.

I've heard around campus that Ross isn't that great of a coach or a recruiting. But she does have good assistants who help fill in all of the gaps.

I agree with the premise. Some of us have been screaming for a stud recruiter to be added to the staff since year 1.

IMO, if all of the assistants could recruit like Adkins and Wheatley, we'd be in great shape. Others on this board may have insider info on what takes place behind the scenes, but from my perspective, it appears that we've had some "dead wood" when it comes to recruiting. I recognize that some of the younger assistants may not have yet established extensive contacts in the HS ranks, but to a large extent, recruiting is as much about salesmanship.

He needs one like this...

1979-10-01.jpg

Those "Stud Recruiters" that everyone wants make huge salaries. Look what we pay our assistants. We will never be able to afford one, and will need our staff to develop as recruiters and hopefully some of them will turn out great, like Ty Wheatley and hopefully, Rob Moore/Nate Hackett, as there have been encouraging tidbits on both. Sooner or later, we won't be able to afford Wheatley.

TJ Wheatley has three years of high school left, I hope he likes FM. It would be great if Wheatley stayed that long.

Wheatley strikes me as the kind of guy that will wait for his kid to graduate high school, and by that point maybe his son is playing at SU with him loyal to Marrone.

Thanks, OEs! Great news! Leigh is doing amazing things on the hill. This team travels like no other team and competes. They have already beaten Virginia, NC, and VTech (out of conference- we have not played any BE games yet) in tournaments in the South. We have also beat NWestern (who just recently played for a NC!) Baylor and Michigan. We've also played some very competitive games against UCLA, Arizona, and Cal from the Pac10 which sets the standard for Women's fastpitch softball. Awesome, catch a game, they are fast and fun games to watch!

I have mathematically zero knowledge about what happens behind the scenes in hardcore recruiting. Never read the book about Orgeron and his antics.

That said, it has always been my impression that "great recruiters" are basically scumbag bullshit artists who lie, mislead, misrepresent, and manipulate impressionable youngsters into committing and signing. Makes me sick.

I love the press to date about Marrone. Kids have gone out of their way to say how honest he is in in-home visits. Makes me think he isn't sugar-coating things, lying, etc. Combined with his public statement that "my job is to recruit players who are better than you," I believe that he is a straight shooter who would rather lose a prospect than play the "great recruiter" role.

If we can find "great recruiters" who aren't despicable liars, bully. I want no part of a con game.

Those "Stud Recruiters" that everyone wants make huge salaries. Look what we pay our assistants. We will never be able to afford one, and will need our staff to develop as recruiters and hopefully some of them will turn out great, like Ty Wheatley and hopefully, Rob Moore/Nate Hackett, as there have been encouraging tidbits on both. Sooner or later, we won't be able to afford Wheatley.
The $ is there it just needs to be wisely distributed Get rid of more deadwood and pay the producers what they are worth and pat them on the back while they are doing a good job for you. Job satisfation is more than just salary. Yes salary can become an issue if allowed to be unfair. Studies have shown that merely making good money does not insure job satisfaction which many will defend as the key component to successful employment. I'm one of those who believe that position.

The $ is there it just needs to be wisely distributed Get rid of more deadwood and pay the producers what they are worth and pat them on the back while they are doing a good job for you. Job satisfation is more than just salary. Yes salary can become an issue if allowed to be unfair. Studies have shown that merely making good money does not insure job satisfaction which many will defend as the key component to successful employment. I'm one of those who believe that position.
I wish this was true, cali, but in our society unfortunately it isn't. Loyalty doesn't mean much anymore. Everyone's always looking for another way to make more money.

I'm constantly amazed at what a great job SU softball coach Leigh Ross does in recruiting and coaching. In this article it states she has snared one of the top 10 pitchers in the class of 2013. The best part of it is that Christina Clermont is from California.

If Ross can fashion a top 25 program in women's softball, a program that has zero tradition, then it should be child's play to do the same in football.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/may/07/clermont-has-veteran-presence-knights/?page=1#article
From a limited sample size of one, I believe that SU carries a certain cache on the west coast as providing a fine, eastern, private education. There is value in that, in some sports more than others.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

I have mathematically zero knowledge about what happens behind the scenes in hardcore recruiting. Never read the book about Orgeron and his antics.

You will soon. "Hardcore Recruiting" soon to be another show on TruTV.

From a limited sample size of one, I believe that SU carries a certain cache on the west coast as providing a fine, eastern, private education. There is value in that, in some sports more than others.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
The other things are this staff is well connected to the softball scene in California and the chance to play early here is very attractive.

From a very informative article titled Eastern migration continues for local players:

"Local players also head east because competition for spots on West Coast teams can be fierce."

“West Coast players often have to go east just to find a team,” said Cathi Aradi of College Softball Connection, a recruiting information service. “For the average player, making a team like Arizona’s can be pretty tough."

"The Pac-12 is generally considered the best softball conference. Of the past 10 Women’s College World Series, nine have been won by Pac-12 teams, three by UCLA."

Clermont went on to say:

“I really researched the program. I didn’t know where it was or anything about it. I’m really happy with my decision.”

This is very impressive:

"Clermont still has plenty of time to decide on a major at Syracuse, but she has the GPA (3.8) to pursue whatever she wants. She’s thinking of something in the medical field."