Marrone planned on taking Hackett all along | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone planned on taking Hackett all along

I really hope that Gross didn't take Marrone's statement at his introductory press conference as a promise not to take Hackett, because what people are alledging he said, he didn't say.

This stuff was said without microphones and lights.

Go...you are a rartional mind and smart poster. Stand down on this issue. Marrone promised/wronged/lied.

Onward.

Who really cares about this? We are going to wind up with a better coaching staff for college football. How do we know Hackett would be any good without Marrone? How do we know it wan't mostly Nassib's intelligence and talent that made things work? How do w know it wasn't injuries on the OLine that held us down?
Marrone was a step along the way - thanks and now lets move along.

I really have no issue if Marrone wanted to take Hackett and thought he was the best man for the job. My issue is that he supposedly told TGD that he wasn't going after Hackett and he did tell the press he was looking for coaches with a lot of NFL experience. Why lie?

Personally, I think Marrone intended to take Hackett all along, but the announcement was delayed while Hackett waited to see if he was offered the HC position by SU. When it wasn't, he was gone.

Sounds like they are meant for each other. Let's face it the offense has only been good for one year while the undermanned D has been pretty good for the time Shafer has been here. I think we got the better half of the coordinators.

This just in: COACHES LIE!

This also just in, Hackett might have been Doug's 4th or 5th choice for all we know but after not being able to land his other guys on his list... of course when you hire someone you say this is the guy you wanted all along.

The Miami Dolphins got turned down by Jeff Fisher, Jon Gruden, and Bill Cowher last year. They hire Joe Philbin what do they say at the press conference...he's the guy we wanted from Day 1. Everyone knows its a lie, but you gotta say that when you hire somebody. Put on the "good front." Doug probably wasn't going to take Hackett, but when he found out he couldn't get the other guys he wanted to be his OC, he went back on his word and took Hackett. Then put on the "good front" and said he wanted Hackett all along.

...really kinda sad that DM built a good foundation here and then scorched-earthed his rep with the school on his way out the door.

I don't think we'll see him honored at halftime or the like at any game in the near future w/o some bridges being mended.
Yeah, all he did was delay his NFL ascent to take a job nobody wanted (Edsall, Holtz), that had the worst overall talent in D-1, that was a national joke and punchline, restore SU's pride and dignity, win 2 bowls on 4 years and bring our current HC in when he fell from grace in Michigan.
Typical SU fans.w

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, all he did was delay his NFL ascent to take a job nobody wanted (Edsall, Holtz), that had the worst overall talent in D-1, that was a national joke and punchline, restore SU's pride and dignity, win 2 bowls on 4 years and bring our current HC in when he fell from grace in Michigan.
Typical SU fans.w

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I never said he didn't do a lot for the program. Obviously he did.

I said his exit was pretty poor.

You want to believe otherwise, you are certainly welcome to your opinion but many would disagree you on that and I am in that camp.

He helped the program a 1000X more than he hurt it, and if Shafer is great, he helped it even more.

This is one reason why I think hiring alumni sometimes can be a double edged sword. It's wonderful when they are there and doing well but when it comes time to part it just seems to be X times worse and pretty much a lose-lose situation no matter how they leave. This has been talked about over and over again and I get the bitterness by some and I'm sure it's for valid reasons. IMO, we've been thinned out after having the program built back up and now we are restocking and going to be stronger than we have in a while, hopefully ever.

If Hackett was Marrones first pick or 5th it is what it is and I don't know what went on between Doug and the school or alumni but hopefully the past is the past and SS and his staff can learn from this and give us what we've been waiting for since the 90's and again, hopefully even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom