Marrone To The Jags... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

has any offensive line coach ever been hired as a head coach?

he's going to need to be a coordinator next year to get a HC job in 2016 at the earliest.

taking the 4 mil and running could've been a good long term financial move if he'd a) gotten a HC job this year or b) gotten an OC job this year and a HC job in 2016.

1 year as Jags OL coach + 1 year ?? OC + 4 Million from buffalo < 2 years as buffalo HC 8 million

the only way this turned out good for him if he thought he was going to get canned next year. but pegula offered him an extension, that wasn't likely

Well the 49ers just hired their DL coach as the HC. Granted he has been with the organization for what 7 years.

On what planet does your attempt at logic actually make sense? You have been KILLING Marrone for turning down the extension and now he's the jerk who planted the rumor. If Pegula didn't want to extend Marrone and put his guy in it makes perfect sense for Marrone to cut bait now and take the $4 mil and make a clean break instead of the whole dead man walking routine. Why waste either parties time if this is in fact how it played out?
how much time needs to be left on a coach's contract for it to be ok to not offer an extension? i thought that with two years left (not one), not extending wasn't a vote of no confidence. tim graham has said all along that he wasn't offered. everyone else said he was.

it's such an interesting soap opera. i gotta stop giving my wife for watching all that garbage on bravo

On what planet does your attempt at logic actually make sense? You have been KILLING Marrone for turning down the extension and now he's the jerk who planted the rumor. If Pegula didn't want to extend Marrone and put his guy in it makes perfect sense for Marrone to cut bait now and take the $4 mil and make a clean break instead of the whole dead man walking routine. Why waste either parties time if this is in fact how it played out?
If there was an extension to turn down then I would mock him for it considering where he is now. But I don't recall ever saying that he in fact turned down an extension.

From a financial perspective I don't blame Marrone for walking - although I do think it was a dumb career decision. I blame him for how he left. No statement thanking the first organization to hand him a head coaching opportunity, fans, etc. It was cold and lacked class.

I also blame Marrone for the offense being so horrible and being unwilling to do anything about it.

I blame Overdorf/Brandon for putting that ridiculous clause in his contract.

I blame certain national media members for hyping Marrone before and after he left the Bills.

And I blame you for your Marrone crush and lack of objectivity.

If there was an extension to turn down then I would mock him for it considering where he is now. But I don't recall ever saying that he in fact turned down an extension.

From a financial perspective I don't blame Marrone for walking - although I do think it was a dumb career decision. I blame him for how he left. No statement thanking the first organization to hand him a head coaching opportunity, fans, etc. It was cold and lacked class.

I also blame Marrone for the offense being so horrible and being unwilling to do anything about it.

I blame Overdorf/Brandon for putting that ridiculous clause in his contract.

I blame certain national media members for hyping Marrone before and after he left the Bills.

And I blame you for your Marrone crush and lack of objectivity.
Yes yes you've made it very clear that my lack of hate for Marrone equates in your mind to a blind crush. The Bills aren't my team I could care less where he winds up, even though you take obvious pleasure in his apparent downfall- which is certainly your right. As a Bills fan spite and 2nd guessing what went wrong is very often all you have left at the end the season. You have a lot of blame to assign, why not just enjoy the good run the Bills had into December relevance and move on? You're more worried about thank you notes and contract language instead of just enjoying the season. Life goes on-

Yes yes you've made it very clear that my lack of hate for Marrone equates in your mind to a blind crush. The Bills aren't my team I could care less where he winds up, even though you take obvious pleasure in his apparent downfall- which is certainly your right. As a Bills fan spite and 2nd guessing what went wrong is very often all you have left at the end the season. You have a lot of blame to assign, why not just enjoy the good run the Bills had into December relevance and move on? You're more worried about thank you notes and contract language instead of just enjoying the season. Life goes on-
Trust me, as a Bills fan I haven't felt this good about the team since the late 90's.

Trust me, as a Bills fan I haven't felt this good about the team since the late 90's.
whats happened to all marrones coaches that he ROYALLY screwed OVER???

anyone get a job yet??

anyone get a job yet??

You mean other than Wheatley, Henderson, Rebrovich and the others retained by Ryan? The screwed over coaches that were probably aware that he was leaving since none of them have come out to say otherwise now that Marrone has accepted a non HC job.

Same thing he did with his staff when he was planning to leave SU.

You mean other than Wheatley, Henderson, Rebrovich and the others retained by Ryan? The screwed over coaches that were probably aware that he was leaving since none of them have come out to say otherwise now that Marrone has accepted a non HC job.

Same thing he did with his staff when he was planning to leave SU.
i wouldnt expect them to say anything, that would be asinine.

most hope he helps gets them a job, and were likely expecting him to get one and thus, give them 1 too.

just didnt know where sir quit-a-lot's assistants landed. forgot about wheatley to michigan. didnt know rexy kept some, hence my question.

but make no mistake, they were royally Fd over. everyone of them would still be in buffalo if they wanted to be, save of course for whomever he canned.

i wouldnt expect them to say anything, that would be asinine.

most hope he helps gets them a job, and were likely expecting him to get one and thus, give them 1 too.

just didnt know where sir quit-a-lot's assistants landed. forgot about wheatley to michigan. didnt know rexy kept some, hence my question.

but make no mistake, they were royally Fd over. everyone of them would still be in buffalo if they wanted to be, save of course for whomever he canned.
he should write those guys checks (i'm serious)

anyone get a job yet??
Ryan retained Danny Crossman (ST coordinator) and Donnie Henderson (secondary coach). Wheatley of course went to Michigan. Apparently he wants Pepper Johnson back if he's willing to stay.

Aside from that I think everyone else is unemployed.

Nate Hackett (OC)
Jim Schwartz (DC)
Rob Moore (WR)
Greg Adkins (TE's)
Jim Hostler (Offensive Asst)
Pat Morris (Oline)
Fred Pagac (LB's)
Anselmo (ST Asst)

Last edited:
He sold himself as being the opposite though - a special coach with true ties, loyalty & love of his alma mater, who had structured his life hoping to achieve his ultimate goal - to be the head coach at SU. If he had appealed to the fans, program as wanting to achieve his first head coaching goal bringing SU back to relevancy, I truly believe the reactions would be totally different and people would be sad not mad when he left and cheering his NFL ambitions. He sold himself to fans as one thing and it was he alone who changed those perceptions. I do think he has stopped people now from hanging their hats that what he's saying is the truth regardless what he says.
Exactly! If you sell something you have to live with it.

IMO Doug is more of a quitter than an opportunist. When things don't go his way he sulks and stalks away leaving an unfinished job. He probably could have gotten a pretty good bump and extension at SU, but he was all boo boo faced when he was criticized and didn't get his way or on his timeline. All the BS he sold us suddenly didn't count. Looks like the same thing happened at Buffalo with a little added incentive.

Had he stuck it out he would be HC of his Alma Mater in the ACC, with a brandy new IPF. After 2012, he had strong fan support. The Pegulas will probably turn the Bills around and Doug will have left another pretty good job prematurely.

Doug was unprepared to be a HC. He alienated many of the people whose support he needed and for unexplained reasons he treated former players poorly. He had no idea how to handle the press
Ryan retained Danny Crossman (ST coordinator) and Donnie Henderson (secondary coach). Wheatley of course went to Michigan. Apparently he wants Pepper Johnson back if he's willing to stay.

Aside from that I think everyone else is unemployed.

Nate Hackett (OC)
Jim Schwartz (DC)
Rob Moore (WR)
Greg Adkins (TE's)
Jim Hostler (Offensive Asst)
Pat Morris (Oline)
Fred Pagac (LB's)
Anselmo (ST Asst)

A few pretty good coaches in that bunch.

According to Fred Pagac (Bills former LB coach) Marrone was not offered an extension.

Those extension reports likely came from Marrone's agent to make him look more attractive as a candidate. Until it backfired and made him look like a disloyal jackass who can't see jobs through.

This makes me feel better about Pegula. Marrone had a helluva lot more to prove before earning rewards.
Too funny. Then why does someone keep saying the rumor of the extension came from the Bills? You guys need to get your stories straight.

Exactly! If you sell something you have to live with it.

IMO Doug is more of a quitter than an opportunist. When things don't go his way he sulks and stalks away leaving an unfinished job. He probably could have gotten a pretty good bump and extension at SU, but he was all boo boo faced when he was criticized and didn't get his way or on his timeline. All the BS he sold us suddenly didn't count. Looks like the same thing happened at Buffalo with a little added incentive.

Had he stuck it out he would be HC of his Alma Mater in the ACC, with a brandy new IPF. After 2012, he had strong fan support. The Pegulas will probably turn the Bills around and Doug will have left another pretty good job prematurely.

Doug was unprepared to be a HC. He alienated many of the people whose support he needed and for unexplained reasons he treated former players poorly. He had no idea how to handle the press

I'm sure no one here has left a job because they were tired of their boss, and a bunch of empty promises and changing challenges.

I'm sure no one here has left a job because they were tired of their boss, and a bunch of empty promises and changing challenges.
Yes, but when you do it habitually it is time to look inward.

I absolutely have. But to do the same thing twice in a period of three years is a bit much.

And you can say all you want that the Buffalo Bills and the Syracuse University athletic department are similar entities. I can tell you that both have positives and negatives - just like ANY JOB IN AMERICA.

The grass isn't always greener - unless of course you think it's the grass's fault it isn't green on both sides. Maybe you're just color blind.

It does not make perfect sense as Marrone had 2 years remaining on his contract at $4m per year, and the team wanted him to and expected him to stay. That $8m (final two years of contract) would be owed even if he got fired after next season. He booked $4m by quitting mid-contract; and is now likely earning under $1m/year for the for-seeable future as an O-line coach. The only way it can make sense financially (which is basically the only argument one can make as to how this made sense for DM-unless you think he preferred a demotion to O line coach) is if he ends up getting a Head Coaching role next year. Good luck with that... bad decision all around.
To the other point, his agent planted multiple rumors to put Doug in a better light (turned down an extension, Bills would not extend his assistants, was still fuming about giving up the draft picks, etc).

Too funny. Then why does someone keep saying the rumor of the extension came from the Bills? You guys need to get your stories straight.
When did I ever say the extension rumors came from the Bills?

Full_Rebar said:

Ahhhg...empty promises.

Yes, but when you do it habitually it is time to look inward.

Leaving Syracuse for Buffalo was a promotion, so this makes the 1st time that Marrone has jumped to a lesser position. Not sure how that makes it a habit.

Leaving Syracuse for Buffalo was a promotion, so this makes the 1st time that Marrone has jumped to a lesser position. Not sure how that makes it a habit.
And from OC to HC before that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom