Marrone's Foul Demeanor | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's Foul Demeanor

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Injuries? Sure, but they're going ahead with full contact practices. Can't be that bad. Big game? Absolutely. First league game, likely gets SU to a 5 - 1 start. NJ/NY recruiting implications. Of course. All these have been discussed.

But, if you read his comments re Cignetti, one can deduce that he thinks this will be no run-of-the-mill-poorly-coached-by-Schiano Snooky team. He seems to have a lot of respect for Cignetti.

I personally like the fact that Marrone is showing a salty demeanor. This team needs to display a bit more attitude than they have.

Injuries? Sure, but they're going ahead with full contact practices. Can't be that bad. Big game? Absolutely. First league game, likely gets SU to a 5 - 1 start. NJ/NY recruiting implications. Of course. All these have been discussed.

But, if you read his comments re Cignetti, one can deduce that he thinks this will be no run-of-the-mill-poorly-coached-by-Schiano Snooky team. He seems to have a lot of respect for Cignetti.

Agree 100%, Then again if Cignetti was that good, he would still be at Pitt or UNC... or a HC. He's not Brian or Chip Kelly but his big receivers do seem to have our number because the Pitt game was over before it started last year. I think Cignetti had sone OK but with Pitt and Rutgers he has always had very good athletes around him and has done OK, problem is we tend to make him look like Bill Walsh and Marrone knows it. Put that on top of the injuries and the fact that we had good corner play last year for the most part, not looking good at all. Still amazed at how anyone in their right mind is predicting an SU blowout

I think the issue is that Cignetti has a good idea on how to beat a Shafer defense and that's the key here, not why he isn't here or there or what jobs he once had or could have had.

I think the issue is that Cignetti has a good idea on how to beat a Shafer defense and that's the key here, not why he isn't here or there or what jobs he once had or could have had.

Agree 100%, but he has been rather mediocre versus other defenses at times and certainly hasn't been laying the wood this season. He is a definite huge upgrade to the clown Rutgers had last year. Like I said and have been saying all week, this Rutgers team is a hell of a lot better than last year, a lot better. The produce turnovers on defense as well whcih could be the end of us on defense.

The play action against our young LB's is what I think he's going to try to do along with the wildcat thing. If SU can stuff the running game and read the fakes we'll be fine but the young guys have been struggling with that and it's a hard thing to do. Add the wildcat which we have struggled with and I think there is cause for concern and that doesn't include Sanu catching passes in the open field. We have our work cut out for us and I hope the d steps up to the challenge.

Their strip and rip type of defense worries me as well. I think SU can move the ball and Rutgers has done a nice job of getting turnovers so far this year. If the SU oline can make plays the rest of the offense will be in good shape.

I am hoping that as the season goes on we are able to gain some offensive consistancy. Even less 3 and outs more long drives & definitely more big plays. It seems like forever we have been a 'defense save us...get the ball back...give us better field position...' type of team. (last part of P era, all of GRob,1st of DM) I was hoping that this year would be the other way around. Youth and inexperience at D calls for the help of the offense to keep putting points on the board so that opposing O is eventually forced to abandon their game plan. Become less dementional. I have seen improvement from the offense, but we need more consistancy. The D needs more help from the offense this year. And who knows...maybe our D has some surprises for Cignetti this time.

Yeah, the d hasn't been getting any turnovers that give SU the short side of the field and the O has had to work for all the points. It's been a funny year, Toledo has a ball hiked without the qb ready and they get the ball back, we do it and it sails 21 yards and they get the ball. I'd love to see us win the turnover battle in this game by 2 or more.

Marrone obviously knows that SU is going to be in fist fights for the rest of the year. He is worried because Cignetti has beat up on him, still has all of his game film and notes against us last year and will just try to parlay that into an even better product on the field Saturday. I agree, I don't know how anyone can predict a blowout by SU. I think Rutgers has a better chance to blow us out if anything.

The way I read it is that he's stressed about a lot of things and looking square in the face of a beat down. When he's talking about having to take things out of the game plan, that is not good.

He keeps saying "issues", which I hope doesn't go beyond injuries.

And I agree about Cignetti. Certain guys have the decoder ring against other guys.

The way I read it is that he's stressed about a lot of things and looking square in the face of a beat down. When he's talking about having to take things out of the game plan, that is not good.

He keeps saying "issues", which I hope doesn't go beyond injuries.

And I agree about Cignetti. Certain guys have the decoder ring against other guys.

Agree the writing is on the wall big time for a thrashing, all the injuries, limited game plan, Cignetti. Not going to be pretty

Come on..this is Rutgers. Their pass defense has been horrible, ranked 85th in the country and that's with a 48-0 game against North Carolina Central thrown in. Two semi-real games and a chippie and they haven't rushed the ball well..averaging well under 3 yds per carry split among 3 guys.

Their passing game has been average at best, longest completion by Dodd is 34 yds. Not that I expect our less than stellar defensive backfield to shut them down.

This is an easily winnable game. Unless there are some problems with injuries or "other problems" that we don't know about. Blowout..probably not.