Marv Albert says Carmelo will win NBA title... | Syracusefan.com

Marv Albert says Carmelo will win NBA title...

Wow, off the bench?

He just needs to find a true franchise star to play 2nd fiddle to. Melo would be a fantastic D Wade aka Robin.

i only wish i disagreed with marv.

There's nothing to say other than Marv is wrong. You'd be hard pressed to find a top 20 NBA player who comes of the bench, regardless of defensive presence or not, and he is far from being the first superstar who is indifferent on D (Kobe comes to mind). Limiting his minutes because of this would do more harm than good. Also, there's no reason for him to be Robin to somebody's Batman. Carmelo is a Batman through-and-through (a NC as a frosh pretty much set this in stone).

You'd be hard pressed to find a top 20 NBA player who comes of the bench, regardless of defensive presence or not, and he is far from being the first superstar who is indifferent on D (Kobe comes to mind)

Kobe has been gifted some All defensive teams lately, since he's getting up there in years, but he was a legit contender at the least for All-Defense when he was Melo's age.
Melo certainly isn't going to be coming off the bench any time soon, and Marv probably oversells the point a little. (I mean technically he is correct. If Melo was somehow on a team with both Durant and Lebron, for instance, he'd be coming off the bench and he'd have a great shot at winning a title, but realistically, he's not going to be on a team with 2 better forwards for a long while).

There's nothing to say other than Marv is wrong. You'd be hard pressed to find a top 20 NBA player who comes of the bench, regardless of defensive presence or not, and he is far from being the first superstar who is indifferent on D (Kobe comes to mind). Limiting his minutes because of this would do more harm than good. Also, there's no reason for him to be Robin to somebody's Batman. Carmelo is a Batman through-and-through (a NC as a frosh pretty much set this in stone).

Yeesh... not sure how much i agree with this.

starting with Kobe being indifferent on D to Melo being a Batman through and through.

College and Pro are 2 different things. Not sure what Melo has done to prove he is such a quality Batman. But maybe you and I have a different belief in what a legit Batman is. I only think there are 5-10 legit Batmans that can take their team to the next level. I have yet to see it in Melo as a pro.

The idea of Melo coming off the bench as an "instant offense guy" is absurd. We're talking about one of the 10 or 15 best players in the world. It's easy to get on Melo for his playoff record, and lack of deep playoff runs (and fair much of the time), but unless your name is Lebron James, how much success do most superstars have without another great player along side them? What did the Lakers do in between Shaq and Gasol? How about Miami in between Shaq and LBJ? Or Garnett and Ray Allen before the Big Three was put together next to Rondo? Melo has weaknesses that he needs to improve on, but he is absolutely a superstar.

College and Pro are 2 different things. Not sure what Melo has done to prove he is such a quality Batman. But maybe you and I have a different belief in what a legit Batman is. I only think there are 5-10 legit Batmans that can take their team to the next level. I have yet to see it in Melo as a pro.

I agree with this, and I'm probably one of the posters more likely to knock Melo, but I do think there is a long way from that to he should be coming off the bench. Like I said, if there was a team put together where Melo was the third best forward, that team would be amazing but that is clearly unrealistic.

As a side note, Amare is out for 6-8 weeks, and Melo played MUCH better at the four last year. Will be interesting to see if that continues this year.

Yeesh... not sure how much i agree with this.

starting with Kobe being indifferent on D to Melo being a Batman through and through.

I think there are 0 batmans in the NBA. It's all media hype James needed Dwade, Kobe needed Shaq and Pau even Jordan had Scottie. Melo has...Amare who is out 6-8weeks already!

I think there are 0 batmans in the NBA. It's all media hype James needed Dwade, Kobe needed Shaq and Pau even Jordan had Scottie

If the argument is that no single player can win the title literally by himself then obviously. But the best players are more often than not playing for and winning the title.

Melo has...Amare who is out 6-8weeks already!

Knicks best non Melo player is clearly Chandler. (Who btw was the second best player on a team who won a title just 18 months ago)

I think there are 0 batmans in the NBA. It's all media hype James needed Dwade, Kobe needed Shaq and Pau even Jordan had Scottie. Melo has...Amare who is out 6-8weeks already!

At some point..you have to make multiple deep playoff runs, or you become Glenn Robinson/Dominique Wilkins/Alex English. Nice scorers who couldn't win.

If the argument is that no single player can win the title literally by himself then obviously. But the best players are more often than not playing for and winning the title.

I don't agree Jordan couldn't get out of the first round his first 6 seasons. Garnett never got out of the first until he went to Boston, Ray never got it done in Seattle. The media says the best players win but that's not really true, the best teams win.

Knicks best non Melo player is clearly Chandler. (Who btw was the second best player on a team who won a title just 18 months ago)

Jason Terry was the second best player on that team. Chandler is a great defender but he must be around scorers and not just 1 or 2. But the this years team is should be good enough to at least get to the second round

At some point..you have to make multiple deep playoff runs, or you become Glenn Robinson/Dominique Wilkins/Alex English. Nice scorers who couldn't win.

Not without a team around them, but with out and elite scorer you have not shot either...see Philly

I guess agree to disagree on Chandler v Terry. Chandler is an awesome awesome player. He's obviously not a great volume scorer but he's one of the better defenders in the league.

Melo has had some talent around him. The teams in Denver were pretty talented. It's not like he's had the KG supporting cast in Minnesota.

But the this years team is should be good enough to at least get to the second round

Absolutely. Though with all the injuries we haven't exactly gotten off to the best start here...

I can already hear the excuses after this season. "Well, his supporting cast was too old"

:)

How many untalented teams has Melo played on?

If Melo Denver teams were in the east he would have made the 2 and 3 rounds annually, Lebrons Cav would have been out in the first round every year in the west.

If Melo Denver teams were in the east he would have made the 2 and 3 rounds annually, Lebrons Cav would have been out in the first round every year in the west.

Whole lotta ifs and buts for Melo's first decade of playoff performances...

1. i think you have missed the point. marv is pointing out that when melo's contract expires he will no longer be "the guy" cause he is older. at that point someone is getting a great deal on some instant offense.

2. Melo is batman. but he is a batman thats never going to win the NBA championships. as a robin, he might.

3. There are few players in the NBA as indifferent on D as Melo is.

1. i think you have missed the point. marv is pointing out that when melo's contract expires he will no longer be "the guy" cause he is older. at that point someone is getting a great deal on some instant offense.

Melo's contract is expiring in 3 seasons. If he doesn't get a max deal it's going to be very close to that.

In both 2009 and 2010 Lebron's Cavs had a better record against the West than anyone in the West, so I doubt they would've lost in the first round as a 1 seed.

In both 2009 and 2010 Lebron's Cavs had a better record against the West than anyone in the West, so I doubt they would've lost in the first round as a 1 seed.

Ok every year might have been over stating it but they would not have been a top 2 seed