Maryland back to the ACC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland back to the ACC?

I guess that's the UVA take on things. What's the matter? Do you think MD in the B1G helps UVA recruiting?

From the SU side of things, Maryland is the best ACC addition we could ever expect or hope for. They are located in a key recruiting area for us for football, basketball and lacrosse. We have a ton of alumni in the area.
The "UVa take" is "You made a decision, now you've got to live with it." Their new set of friends isn't turning out how they'd like. That's life.

AFA recruting is concerned, we are emphasizing recruiting in the DMV more, but I don't know if that has anything to do with their being in the B1G or that we've finally woken up to the great players available there. Kevin Hogan's and another QB (whose name escapes me right now) from NoVa's going to Stanford should have been a wake-up call to the previous regime in football. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I'm not saying they would have gone to UVa, but they weren't even giving us the right time.

The "UVa take" is "You made a decision, now you've got to live with it." Their new set of friends isn't turning out how they'd like. That's life.

AFA recruting is concerned, we are emphasizing recruiting in the DMV more, but I don't know if that has anything to do with their being in the B1G or that we've finally woken up to the great players available there. Kevin Hogan's and another QB (whose name escapes me right now) from NoVa's going to Stanford should have been a wake-up call to the previous regime in football. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I'm not saying they would have gone to UVa, but they weren't even giving us the right time.

Gonzaga (Hogan) has never been a hot spot for UVA anyway. Catholic schools have the edge (ND, BC, Georgetown, Villanova)

I don't think you've done well at DeMatha or St Johns or Good Counsel either.

There were lawsuits when Maryland left the ACC. Is there the same bad blood between the school and the ACC like with UConn? There's a long history and Maryland belongs in the ACC (with Notre Dame).

Gonzaga (Hogan) has never been a hot spot for UVA anyway. Catholic schools have the edge (ND, BC, Georgetown, Villanova)

I don't think you've done well at DeMatha or St Johns or Good Counsel either.
Not counting the folks from a NoVa public HS (and getting them back in the fold is an accomplishment!):
Brenton Nelson, who starts at FS for us, went to DeMatha.
Myles Robinson, a sub CB, went to Good Counsel.
Noah Taylor, a freshman LB, went to Avalon.
Mark Chichester, a freshman CB, went to Sidwell Friends.
Jack Keenan, freshman OL, went to Gonzaga.
Victor Oluwatimi, RS freshman OL, went to DeMatha.
Darnell Pratt, RS freshman WR, went to Good Counsel.
Plus we have a commit from a LB at Gonzaga for next year.

Micah Kiser went to Gilman. (Played lax there, too.) I think we had a WR on last year's team who went to Good Counsel.

Edit: Andre' Levrone is the WR.

Last edited:
And their coaching staff is killing players in a mad dash to become competitive.

College football is nuts, but it's not that nuts.

Some of that blood is on Loh's hands.
Hmmm...I'm not sure I buy the argument that being in the B1G led to the tougher workout conditions that led to the player's death. Don't they work out pretty hard in the ACC?

53515266.jpg

Dr. Loh pushed Maryland to the B1G and he is retiring but Maryland made their bed.
They aren’t leaving the Big Ten.

Not counting the folks from a NoVa public HS (and getting them back in the fold is an accomplishment!):
Brenton Nelson, who starts at FS for us, went to DeMatha.
Myles Robinson, a sub CB, went to Good Counsel.
Noah Taylor, a freshman LB, went to Avalon.
Mark Chichester, a freshman CB, went to Sidwell Friends.
Jack Keenan, freshman OL, went to Gonzaga.
Victor Oluwatimi, RS freshman OL, went to DeMatha.
Darnell Pratt, RS freshman WR, went to Good Counsel.
Plus we have a commit from a LB at Gonzaga for next year.

Micah Kiser went to Gilman. (Played lax there, too.) I think we had a WR on last year's team who went to Good Counsel.

Some, but not a lot. I didn't say you were getting shut out.

Avalon and Sidwell are far, far from being sports powers unless its ultimate frisbee.

Hmmm...I'm not sure I buy the argument that being in the B1G led to the tougher workout conditions that led to the player's death. Don't they work out pretty hard in the ACC?

Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State are in their conference.

Any more questions?

Some, but not a lot. I didn't say you were getting shut out.

Avalon and Sidwell are far, far from being sports powers unless its ultimate frisbee.
Nelson is a soph, Robinson a junior, BTW.

Forgot to mention, Charles Snowden, starting Soph rushing LB, went to another DMV football powerhouse, St. Alban's. ;)

And you'll notice the commonality that they're mostly players who will have been recruited by the present regime.

Aside from Feinstein’s columns, to me the Washington Post has the worst sports columnists in the nation. You’ll get less insight into sports from this gaggle of second and third raters then you would get from reading the back of the Cheerios box on the breakfast table. (They are also prone to let the rest of the paper’s political bias leak into their sports columns.)

But Barry Svrluga actually hit the nail on the head today voicing some surprising truths about the Maryland football coaching fiasco and about the school’s decision to leave the ACC and enter the B1G and the role of this decision in the death of the Maryland football player.

But when Maryland announced they were leaving the ACC the Post’s sports columnists were 100% supportive voicing the school’s PR BS about the wonderful opportunity.

Some year’s later, Svrluga identifies it for what it aways was, a “money grab” that put the school’s teams up against powerhouses they couldn’t possible compete with.

Durkin was charged with the near impossible task of competing with Ohio State and Michigan. His methods were bad and produced the death of a player.

Maryland might just figure out they cannot now and are extremely unlikely to ever compete in the B1g. The logical thing to do would be to call the ACC up and say, “Let’s talk”.

From Barry Svrluga in the Washington Post:

“Loh, along with former athletic director Kevin Anderson, pushed Maryland away from that solid, steady base by yanking the school from the ACC to the Big Ten. This was a money grab, nothing short of it, a move that shoved to the side generations of tradition and history because Jim Delany, the Big Ten commissioner/con-artist, promised more cash. Never mind that the idea of driving through Beltway traffic to see Purdue on a Tuesday night in January was, nebulously, not as attractive as enduring the same commute to see, say, N.C. State. The money mattered, and Loh went for it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...5bb7e2-dd78-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html

If the ACC can't grab Penn State to go with Notre Dame to make 16 when the next round of realignment takes place, my next choice would be Maryland. They fill in a gap that connects the northern and southern schools in the conference, brings back the Washington DC market and gives us an old rival that is not out of our league, talent wise.

Last edited:
This.

No, Louisville is too good a program to throw away. The football schools love having them, and the basketball, historically, has been very good.

Dear Sally.

Maryland is awful at sports and their athletic department is bankrupt and they are a case study in how not to run athletics largely because Debbie Yow, a pioneer female athletic director, did an historically awful job trying to run the athletic department at Maryland.

It takes a village to ruin a university. Men needed help to achieve this level of failure.

Epic takedown by the Tomcat!

Yes, but regardless of gender, there is a culture that puts football ahead of the academic mission or even the law. Case in point: Penn State. The issue is bigger than gender. And, as an alum, I am glad SU has never turned itself into this kind of football factory.

its just not that black and white.

first of all - syracuse aint that innocent. just not that good at football for 17 years. Hell, we had to give up half or more of Grobs wins! can u imagine that? Maryland hasnt been good in football in liek 10 years. DJ Durkin is not someone to stick their neck out for *winning* reasons.

Penn state isnt putting football only ahread of the academic mission or law. Thats kind of a granola hippie response to this. They are making (in hindsight, very poor) decisions to negate negative press. Obviously it backfired and what they did was reprehensible.

Look at Google right now. Look at Hollywood right now. Look at politics right now. Look at music right now. Look at basketball right now. look at world cup right now.

it literally has nothing to do with football. Its just a culture of trying to hide things from the public and getting caught by the social media masses after.

George O'leary had a kid die under his watch. He wasnt run off like this and there was far less of an outcry.

I do think Durkin had to go and i do think the board was crazy to try to keep him. But to call this a football culture thing is just a quarter truth. its a human nature culture thing.

Wasn’t our move a money grab, too? That’s just business and I don’t really begrudge. And how is MD less set up for success than teams like northwestern and Purdue? Their geo actually helps separate them recruiting-wise. Their failure is administrative. Management of their athletics program operationally has been putrid. They could compete if they got their act together, but clearly that ain’t happening anytime soon.

I think ours was different because the ACC was taking all the best programs from the old Big East and we were left out in the first go round. The Old Big East that we were founding members of no longer existed, as a practical matter. Most of our rivals had gone (or wound up going) to the ACC.

Maryland, on the other hand, already had a P-5 seat in a great league. They just ran their finances into the ground. (I recall that they were about $50M in debt in the Athletic Dept just before their move.)

I also recall reading that the President and AD kind of did it on the sly, without really reaching out to the alumni and big donors for input/feedback. It was like the Colts sneaking out of Baltimore, and most of the alumni were PISSED.

No, Louisville is too good a program to throw away. The football schools love having them, and the basketball, historically, has been very good.
True, however as an old-timer I just feel a greater kinship to UM. I'd rather play them from a traditional, logistical and competitive point of view. I'm aware of UL's athletic prowess, but even their fortunes seem to be sinking of late. They belong in the midwest (BIG10) and UM belongs where they are; near the Atlantic Coast. Color me sentimental, it's just an opinion.
And don't get me started on geographical realignment.

Did anyone hear the Washington Post female reporter (Sally Jenkins) on with Golic and Wingo this morning talking about the Maryland situation. She basically said male sports fans, boosters, advisory committees and the "higher ups" are ate up with sports and are willing to push most things aside for the benefit of our program(s) winning. Short of calling us male chauvinist pigs who love sports and will pay whatever price we need to in order to win.

That...seems...reasonable?

Especially reading some of the reactions to DJD’s firing on Maryland’s message board.

You think she's wrong? Really? Now, substitute the word "Alabama" for the word "Maryland." You agree now? Good.

She/s painting with a very broad brush, yes there are schools who live and die with this motto but not all....

My biggest concerns about taking Maryland back into the ACC would be:

1. What does this mean for Notre Dame for football? If anything, it may make us less attractive to them.

2. What does this mean for the B1G in the next round of re-alignment? Are we going to end up trading a (better) current member for Maryland? I'd even be worried they'd come calling us (and I hope we'd hang up the phone).

I think the ND & PSU stuff is a pipe dream by fans of ACC schools, but if there's a non-zero chance, the ACC pretty much has to hold out until it's no longer possible (aka ND makes its move). So for all of these reasons, you have to tell Maryland to enjoy their extended stay in the B1G and maybe we'll call them if an 18 team ACC ever becomes a thing.

My biggest concerns about taking Maryland back into the ACC would be:

1. What does this mean for Notre Dame for football? If anything, it may make us less attractive to them.

2. What does this mean for the B1G in the next round of re-alignment? Are we going to end up trading a (better) current member for Maryland? I'd even be worried they'd come calling us (and I hope we'd hang up the phone).

I think the ND & PSU stuff is a pipe dream by fans of ACC schools, but if there's a non-zero chance, the ACC pretty much has to hold out until it's no longer possible (aka ND makes its move). So for all of these reasons, you have to tell Maryland to enjoy their extended stay in the B1G and maybe we'll call them if an 18 team ACC ever becomes a thing.

After seeing Maryland fleeing back to the ACC (if this were to happen), do you really think another ACC school would be anxious to take their place as butt boy for OSU, UM and PSU?

Maryland and it's location in DC is good for Notre Dame.

After seeing Maryland fleeing back to the ACC (if this were to happen), do you really think another ACC school would be anxious to take their place as butt boy for OSU, UM and PSU?

Maryland and it's location in DC is good for Notre Dame.

The ACC's conundrum is that it needs one or two more programs like OSU, UM, PSU, etc, to reach B1G $$$ which is why the fantasy was always ND (full) and PSU. But that is fool's gold. Maryland just isn't a "must have" anymore despite its market. When we first joined the ACC I thought we would establish a great hate-hate rivalry for the ages with them over time across all sports but it just wasn't meant to be.

Cheers,
Neil