Maryland What | Syracusefan.com

Maryland What

goodroc

Starter
Both just confirmed. Seth allen 2nd leading scorer and mitchell top rebounder. Shaq, roddy amd faust left a few weeks ago thats 5

Something smells in Denmark. I think that's a county in Maryland. Allen is a big loss. It has to be something really bad going on. All these guys have to sit a year to get away from it.

They don't want to play in the Big Ten.

I was going to say the same thing especially since they were all from the east coast but one transferred to Oregon St and another to Texas I think, so maybe it has more to do with Turgeon or the Maryland program itself?

Couldn't have happened to a better group of fans. Without a doubt the most obnoxious, entitled fans in college sports.

They make UCONN fans look civil.

Something smells in Denmark. I think that's a county in Maryland. Allen is a big loss. It has to be something really bad going on. All these guys have to sit a year to get away from it.

College Park is PG county so it definitely smells... :)

The odd thing is... All the MD fans I met at Maryland ... and at the ACC tourney... were distraught at leaving the ACC, and very upset at joining the Big 10. Without exception, upon seeing my SU gear... they said: "Welcome to the ACC... and I am so sorry that we are leaving." It was actually kind of sad. They knew MD was doing it solely for the money... and for nothing that made sense to their fan base. Their fan base likes going to the ACC venues. Lincoln, NE? Iowa City? No F...ing way!

The odd thing is... All the MD fans I met at Maryland ... and at the ACC tourney... were distraught at leaving the ACC, and very upset at joining the Big 10. Without exception, upon seeing my SU gear... they said: "Welcome to the ACC... and I am so sorry that we are leaving." It was actually kind of sad. They knew MD was doing it solely for the money... and for nothing that made sense to their fan base. Their fan base likes going to the ACC venues. Lincoln, NE? Iowa City? No F...ing way!
Can you imagine if the Virginia AD or president had tried this move? They'd been fired the next day by the Governor. It really is kind of sad. Reminds me of Art Modell moving the Browns to Baltimore. Right down to the obnoxious fan bases.

I believe the money argument is specious reasoning. The ACC is holding the gun on the exit fee. Attendance will drop and donations too. Simply a case of admins gross incompetence

The weird thing is that their message board fans are almost entirely in favor of the move.

CTO with and BOMB! Epic!

I believe the money argument is specious reasoning. The ACC is holding the gun on the exit fee. Attendance will drop and donations too. Simply a case of admins gross incompetence
No, the money thing is very real. Maryland's athletic department was/is drowning in red ink. The Big Ten made them an offer they couldn't refuse, so to speak.

When the Big 10 starts losing money on their mistake, it won't look so good for anyone. The addition of Maryland, and Rutgers will go down as Delany's folly.

Doubt it

Do UConn fans throw stuff (usually, a hail of batteries, and they hit a Dookie's mom (Boozer's?) with a partially filled plastic soda bottle during a bball game) and burn couches win or lose (one time the flames got high enough to start melting the insulation on the phone wires)? Try Googling - University, Maryland, riot, route, fire They just finished settling a lawsuit against the cops responding to the last riot who unjustifiably beat a student during one of their post-game riots.

When the Big 10 starts losing money on their mistake, it won't look so good for anyone. The addition of Maryland, and Rutgers will go down as Delany's folly.

UMD sold out Swofford's stealth move for PSU and secured a healthy offer in return. There is a little 'Benedict Arnold' in this story. Swofford had just grabbed the biggest fish on the market (ND) and was preparing to go for the kill. No telling what would have happened.

I love all the indignation thrown at maryland for leaving the ACC...last I checked we weren't ACC charter members.

STEVEHOLT said:
I love all the indignation thrown at maryland for leaving the ACC...last I checked we weren't ACC charter members.

We abided by Big East rules when we left and actually worked with the conference on an organized and mutual withdrawal. Maryland stated immediately that they weren't going to abide by ACC bylaws.

There is no comparison to how we left the BE to how Maryland is leaving the ACC. In fact, the BE complained and whined about is leaving. Swofford wished Maryland the best and commented on what a great member they were. Maryland just didn't want to abide by the bylaws. That's the only issue the ACC has with Maryland.

docsu said:
The weird thing is that their message board fans are almost entirely in favor of the move.

Not that weird. Every team board is full of the most avid fans, and they almost always end up coming to support big decisions like this. Just part of the mentality, happens here too.

Maryland may come to really regret their move if the B1G revenue they're being promised doesn't turn out to be as high as they believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom