Matt Langel: Next HC of the Cuse | Syracusefan.com

Matt Langel: Next HC of the Cuse

No we need someone like Oats, Musselman, Underwood to get us out of this nightmare with elite talent. Langel is us trying to be another UVA and that probably won't work we'll get stuck with the BC's of the world.

The top coaches who have benches that are loaded will turn this program around immediately everyone on the roster likely gets recruited over. If we whiff on the external candidate can them after 2 years and go to Hopkins.

No we need someone like Oats, Musselman, Underwood to get us out of this nightmare with elite talent. Langel is us trying to be another UVA and that probably won't work we'll get stuck with the BC's of the world.

The top coaches who have benches that are loaded will turn this program around immediately everyone on the roster likely gets recruited over. If we whiff on the external candidate can them after 2 years and go to Hopkins.
I'm not sure we can get one of those guys. Langel would fill the dome. He just beat us two years in a row with the Hoosiers. Kids will want to play for him.

He should get the offer tonight lol. I am being 1000% serious, I would feel way more confident about the direction of our program with him as HC compared to any of our assistants. And that’s really sad as we are a P5 program with resources. Colgates coaching is far superior and that’s being objective. Sheesh

Exactly. Recruiting is a different ballgame. With all his success he should have a better gig by now and figure there is a reason for that.
He's been to the last three NCAA tournaments. Maybe he's waiting for the right job to open.

This is the correct answer. Langel can be the next coach to fail at BC.

He's been to the last three NCAA tournaments. Maybe he's waiting for the right job to open.

It's possible sure. My question on recruiting wasn't sarcasm. Curious on his connections

It's possible sure. My question on recruiting wasn't sarcasm. Curious on his connections
Legit concern but you build the right staff around you. The program could potentially sell itself.

Exactly. Recruiting is a different ballgame. With all his success he should have a better gig by now and figure there is a reason for that.

Winning on three point shooting and ball movement in the Northeast isn't what raises your stock for big jobs. You have to win and load up a small school like Murray State with talent.

He could probably get a bad A10 job but I'm not sure even a Big East program would give him a shot.

How about we hire the Colgate coach to replace Boeheim at the end of this year ...that guy is teriffic!

He’s been offered bigger jobs and turned them down. He has long term financial security at Colgate. And they are currently designing a brand new basketball arena that will open in 2026. He could retire there if he wants and have the court named after him.

I was talking to a guy last March who was VERY connected to the UMass coaching search. I wanted Langel there (before Frank Martin was in the picture) and was told that he got a serious look but it never got much traction because they weren't sold that he could recruit at the level they want. Zero doubt that he can coach from people in the industry, though.

You could argue that he might work at Syracuse because they have the money to fill his staff with assistants who can recruit their azzes off. It won't happen but I wouldn't be mad if it did. Not many better mid-major coaches in the country and I would trust him with our roster this year or last more than I do JB.

I semi-jokingly asked about the Colgate Coach’s contract (buy out?) early in the game thread.

I really don’t even care who we eventually get as long as it’s not someone on the current bench. And that is sad to say.

I also think that the same dude who might fail at BC might be fine for us. The Dome is the thing that gave JB a boost. It can be the same boost for the next guy.

Langel is a great offensive coach. His teams really move the ball. Our teams even when we were good never did that.
I would switch never to rarely. 2010 moved the ball really well. I think the problem we've had is that we depend on a group of players being naturally bent toward that rather than it being something that is trained into everyone. I'm not saying we don't do ball movement drills, but on most of our teams it doesn't translate to great ball movement in games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom