Maxwell Award watch list sans SU mention | Syracusefan.com

Maxwell Award watch list sans SU mention

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ch-list-highlighted-by-winston-petty-mariota/

Terrell Hunt will have plenty to inspire him this season. Looks like 34 QB's mentioned on the list.
Sometimes I wonder if people watched Hunt play last year before the BC game. The guy was nearly the worst starting QB in the ACC and was really a bottom of the box starter across the country last year. People were nearly begging the staff to destroy the redshirt of Kimble or Wilson because "they couldn't be any worse"

He made huge strides in the BC game and during the Texas bowl that give us serious hope for the future but acting like him being left off national award watch lists is some kind of major sleight against him is a little much don't you think?

Sometimes I wonder if people watched Hunt play last year before the BC game. The guy was nearly the worst starting QB in the ACC and was really a bottom of the box starter across the country last year. People were nearly begging the staff to destroy the redshirt of Kimble or Wilson because "they couldn't be any worse"

He made huge strides in the BC game and during the Texas bowl that give us serious hope for the future but acting like him being left off national award watch lists is some kind of major sleight against him is a little much don't you think?

Also really good in Tulane, Wagner, Pitt games. Had no one to throw to in the other games and still got enough done on the ground to help us vs Wake and NC State. Won 7 games as starting QB.

I'm miffed because he's trajectory is clear: upward. If he's gotten worse over the last three games of the season, we'd all be questioning him still.

Let's be honest, saying he was good in the Tulane and Wagner games is pretty much pointless. He was playing against the JV, more or less. And in the case of Wagner, the freshman team.

Let's be honest, saying he was good in the Tulane and Wagner games is pretty much pointless. He was playing against the JV, more or less. And in the case of Wagner, the freshman team.

Which is why I didn't mention them in the first place. There's no way hunt can be worse than last year, but expecting him to be in major award conversations is ridiculous.

Which is why I didn't mention them in the first place. There's no way hunt can be worse than last year, but expecting him to be in major award conversations is ridiculous.
I wasn't responding to you, just so you know. And I am in agreement with you. I like Hunt. I think he has a chance to be good. But he DEFINITELY shouldn't be mentioned in any awards debates right now.

I wasn't responding to you, just so you know. And I am in agreement with you. I like Hunt. I think he has a chance to be good. But he DEFINITELY shouldn't be mentioned in any awards debates right now.
Oh I know you weren't. You were backing me up, and I wanted to point out how that helps as well.

TheCusian said:
Also really good in Tulane, Wagner, Pitt games. Had no one to throw to in the other games and still got enough done on the ground to help us vs Wake and NC State. Won 7 games as starting QB. I'm miffed because he's trajectory is clear: upward. If he's gotten worse over the last three games of the season, we'd all be questioning him still.

Others might say the WR's didn't hVe anyone throwing them the ball. I think it was both but I know last year I saw more balls thrown at the feet of a WR or 5 yards behind or in front of them than I had in years. We threw the ball much better the last couple games and I don't think the WR's all of a sudden became good. I think Hunt got more comfortable and confident and the coaches figured out what pass plays would work and maximize the skills of everyone. But it definitely wasn't solely a case of the QB not having anyone to throw too.

With the supporting cast Terrell Hunt had last year there was no excuse for his mid season woes.

...wait

jekelish said:

So quickly we forget the less-than spectacular Nassib games vs the JV squads. Also those two wins helped get us to a bowl game and Tulane went on to have a decent year...

McDonald and Shafer said in those games he was great because his guys were open, while during the top ACC games he was tentative because they weren't open and he wasn't throwing the ball with anticipation. They said at the end if the year he was much improved in that dept, ie reason for optimism.

How many games has the kid played for SU? And his improvement from start to finish? How many real weapons did he have at his disposal? I think the last two games can surely give hope and elicit expectations locally and nationally. The team has a terrific OL with veterans, more explosive starting RB's and a better equipped receiving core with Estime being a game changer. Pretty easy to defend when playmakers were hard to find outside and in.

A worth while argument nonetheless.
I think he performs at a very high level..

tboxCUSE92 said:
How many games has the kid played for SU? And his improvement from start to finish? How many real weapons did he have at his disposal? I think the last two games can surely give hope and elicit expectations locally and nationally. The team has a terrific OL with veterans, more explosive starting RB's and a better equipped receiving core with Estime being a game changer. Pretty easy to defend when playmakers were hard to find outside and in. A worth while argument nonetheless. I think he performs at a very high level..

That might all be 100% true, and maybe he's primed for a great season, but no one makes a pre-season awards watch list on hopes and dreams. There are easily 34 college QBs who have already performed consistently better on the field than our guy.

That might all be 100% true, and maybe he's primed for a great season, but no one makes a pre-season awards watch list on hopes and dreams. There are easily 34 college QBs who have already performed consistently better on the field than our guy.

Thank you. That is my point.

Also Tbox, while Hunts last two games were certainly encouraging, nobody on a national level has any thoughts he will emerge as a superstar country wide. Heck I'm willing to bet there was at least one other QB who had a major upswing in his teams final two games that yield major hope for his teams fanbase going into this year as well. As to the supporting cast argument, he got it done with the same cast in the final two games. This group will also be largely unchanged from last seasons, the biggest additions will be an additional year of development for Estime and Broyld, plus the hopes one of the freshman can give us 20 or so receptions this year.

Is there reason for positive thinking in the Orange Nation, heck yes. But it's insane to expect Hunt to be garnering major national attention right now coming off a year with a 1.2:1 TD:INT ratio and a whopping 6.0 YPA last year throwing the ball. Heck him garnering major inter conference attention would be surprising. You want to know why certain analysts are picking SU to be a bottom of the road ACC squad? It's because they have plenty of reasons to doubt our QB.

If Hunt blows up and becomes a heisman contender we could well win 11 games this year, if he does what he did a year ago, it will take a minor miracle to make a bowl game. Reasonable expectations expect him to be somewhere between the two, and as such most think we have a pretty good shot to fall into the 8-9 win category with the right breaks.

Libero2 said:
Thank you. That is my point. Also Tbox, while Hunts last two games were certainly encouraging, nobody on a national level has any thoughts he will emerge as a superstar country wide. Heck I'm willing to bet there was at least one other QB who had a major upswing in his teams final two games that yield major hope for his teams fanbase going into this year as well. As to the supporting cast argument, he got it done with the same cast in the final two games. This group will also be largely unchanged from last seasons, the biggest additions will be an additional year of development for Estime and Broyld, plus the hopes one of the freshman can give us 20 or so receptions this year. Is there reason for positive thinking in the Orange Nation, heck yes. But it's insane to expect Hunt to be garnering major national attention right now coming off a year with a 1.2:1 TD:INT ratio and a whopping 6.0 YPA last year throwing the ball. Heck him garnering major inter conference attention would be surprising. You want to know why certain analysts are picking SU to be a bottom of the road ACC squad? It's because they have plenty of reasons to doubt our QB. If Hunt blows up and becomes a heisman contender we could well win 11 games this year, if he does what he did a year ago, it will take a minor miracle to make a bowl game. Reasonable expectations expect him to be somewhere between the two, and as such most think we have a pretty good shot to fall into the 8-9 win category with the right breaks.

Scooch's point is fair and is the truth.

The supporting cast point is still off. Estime didn't play early. Ashton was in his position and got moved late to be out wide more. Cornelius made a bunch of plays at the end of the season and didn't play. The way McDonald called games changed late, along with moving Lester to the booth. In other words - a lot of things changed late, that seemed to kick start Hunts development (and his weapons).

Some of the National writers I've read are picking us to do well because of his improvement. The question marks are related to our Dline and Spruill leaving.

I'm with you that he doesn't deserve huge national attention yet... But I think you're under valuing the upswing at the end of the season.

The simple truth is that there isn't a big enough sample size for anyone to really forecast Hunt at this point IMO. On the other hand, there is enough sample size for 34 other college QB's right now though. He should've started the season as the QB as Allen just wasn't a fit for what this offense needed. He came in and had a couple good games against low D1 teams, but then struggled mightily against the better teams. He certainly improved down the stretch and was a playmaker in the bowl game. If he can continue on that trajectory this year along with improvement from our WRs, we could be in for an exciting year.

Him not being on any preseason watch lists has absolutely no bearing on how our offense will fair this year. The coaches are very impressed with his development since last year, his overall team leadership and his understanding of McD's offense. He has really synced with a few of the WRs, especially Estime and ACIII in the offseason. How that transpires onto the field is another thing, but it is certainly worth noting.

These lists do nothing for me, I'm just pumped were only 7 weeks away.

There are things I really like about Hunt. His leadership and the way the team responds to him. Solid arm and point guard mentality. Good strong runner and mysteriously elusive when taking off from scrimmage. Very good fit for this team. How he "ranks" vs other qb's, I couldn't care less as long as the W's come and he is doing his job.

fwiw: i thoroughly expect hunt at some point to play his way to the bench or at least have it be a potential reality.

so, at least hes on the KaiserWatch list. ill throw it up on the net and have it linked here. ;)

Make it the Rocco vs Kaiser Challenge. Loser has to buy membership into Rutgers' or Penn State's fan club. Therefore, if Hunt is benched and doesn't start a game throughout the year for poor play, I lose. If not, you lose.

It's time to put some money where our adamant mouths are. Deal?

Make it the Rocco vs Kaiser Challenge. Loser has to buy membership into Rutgers' or Penn State's fan club. Therefore, if Hunt is benched and doesn't start a game throughout the year for poor play, I lose. If not, you lose.

It's time to put some money where our adamant mouths are. Deal?
Interesting.

I'd rather have the $$ go to Cuse.

But to be clear...I am not rooting against hunt...I REPEAT....I AM NOT ROOTING AGAIST TERREL HUNT.

I'm in for a C-note or so to the OrangeClub...

Interesting.

I'd rather have the $$ go to Cuse.

But to be clear...I am not rooting against hunt...I REPEAT...I AM NOT ROOTING AGAIST TERREL HUNT.

I'm in for a C-note or so to the OrangeClub...

Deal.

Deal.
OK.

How about pulled in a big game for another $50????

No net.

That's a decent random sum to the Club.

OK.

How about pulled in a big game for another $50????

No net.

That's a decent random sum to the Club.

No because if we're getting blown out, they will pull him regardless.

Let's raise our initial bet to $150.