May not be easy for UConn to find a conference | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

May not be easy for UConn to find a conference

I think UConn "may" have the last laugh. I see the following scenario because I dont see BC and UConn in the same conference so I see the B1G expanding by taking Kansas and UConn - both are land grant publics and UConn has applied for AAU which SU just dropped out of. Both UConn and Kansas "fit" the B1G model. So what does the B12 do? They take Cincy to replace Kansas - Cincy "fits" the B12 model with their academics.

I for one dont like boasting on another's demise to make yourself look better - many of you did that with Rutgers and look what happened. I prefer to boast on "winning" and SU hasn't proved itself that it can win 10 games in a season for over a decade. Boasting in my book starts with winning.

They still have some substantial bills to pay on the stadium and facilities they've built. Folding up shop isn't the most practical of solutions.

They are not too big to fail. The Big East is folding up shop in part because of this stupidity. Let them twist in the wind.

I think UConn "may" have the last laugh. I see the following scenario because I dont see BC and UConn in the same conference so I see the B1G expanding by taking Kansas and UConn - both are land grant publics and UConn has applied for AAU which SU just dropped out of. Both UConn and Kansas "fit" the B1G model. So what does the B12 do? They take Cincy to replace Kansas - Cincy "fits" the B12 model with their academics.

I for one dont like boasting on another's demise to make yourself look better - many of you did that with Rutgers and look what happened. I prefer to boast on "winning" and SU hasn't proved itself that it can win 10 games in a season for over a decade. Boasting in my book starts with winning.
Nope. The B1g is going to look for winners, not leftovers. There is a reason no one has taken UConn yet. And no one was going to take Kansas either.

Nope. The B1g is going to look for winners, not leftovers. There is a reason no one has taken UConn yet. And no one was going to take Kansas either.

LOL - so you mean Rutgers and Maryland are winners? Jeez...

LOL - so you mean Rutgers and Maryland are winners? Jeez...
No they aren't. But they haven't been passed over. Well, Rutgers was but you know what I mean.

No they aren't. But they haven't been passed over. Well, Rutgers was but you know what I mean.
I don't think that the RU and UMD adds are working out the way the B1G had hoped. I doubt that they will expand based purely on potential again. Their next round of expansion A) won't be for a couple of years, and B) will involve proven products.

[to respond to a previous post]
I also doubt that AAU status still matters THAT much to the B1G. Supposedly Wisconsin (and at least two other B1G universities) voted against Nebraska's continued inclusion in the AAU (after Nebraska had agreed to join the B1G). THAT is how much they care about being in the a conference with AAU members. Also, I think that PSU just wants rivals, and let's be honest, RU and UMD leave a lot to be desired in that department. Furthermore, Nebraksa isn't in the AAU, so I don't see them pointing fingers either. Finally, I don't see RU or UMD caring either. Financial issues aside, UMD was as happy as a clam in the ACC, which isn't all AAU , and RU spent the last 20 years in the BIG EAST. I am guessing that, like PSU, they just don't want to feel like they are on an island. By my count that's at least 7/14 B1G universities that would easily look the other way under the right circumstances.

I remember when the Big East first suggested the possibility of adding UConn as a replacement for Miami and VTech. My first thought was, "what is this crap?"

What a great memory.

UCONN was scheduled to join the BE long before Miami and Va Tech left.

What a great memory.

UCONN was scheduled to join the BE long before Miami and Va Tech left.
Ah, so you are saying that is the reason that Miami and Va Tech left?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom