Maybe VT is not so good | Syracusefan.com

Maybe VT is not so good

Crusty

Living Legend
VT has looked pretty awful so far this year. Perhaps, the Pitt win is not so impressive after all.

SEC SEC wait I'm learning from the big boys ACC ACC ACC !!!!

After loss to Cincinnati, Virginia Tech doesn't appear capable of rebound

David Teel
September 30, 2012
LANDOVER, Md. —
Stubborn as ever, Frank Beamer stressed the upside. An offense that finally showed a pulse. A freshman tailback who ran powerfully. A defense that held valiantly — until …
Maybe he's trying to convince himself. Maybe he's trying to convince fans and, most important, players that this season, like 1995, 2008 and 2010, can be salvaged after devastating defeat.
Good luck with that.

Beamer's Virginia Tech football team hit crisis mode Saturday with a 27-24 loss to Cincinnatiat FedEx Field.
Per their 2012 MO, the Hokies staggered for a half on offense, untenable against an above-average opponent. Then the defense, with the game in the balance, collapsed, allowing 214 fourth-quarter yards.
"It hurts, man," linebacker Bruce Taylor said. "Deep."

Bet it does.
Tech had this one pilfered when Logan Thomas connected with Corey Fuller on a 56-yard touchdown pass with 1:49 remaining. The Hokies led by four, and the Bearcats had no timeouts.
As he did in the opener against Georgia Tech, Thomas appeared to have rescued Virginia Tech.
Nine plays and 85 yards later, with 13 seconds left, Cincinnati was celebrating the decisive touchdown, a 39-yard go-route from Munchie Legaux to Damon Julian, who got behind All-ACC cornerback Kyle Fuller and made a circus catch in the end zone.
"I thought we had it a couple of times," Beamer said.
The first time was when Michael Holmes' 3-yard run gave the Hokies a 17-13 lead midway through the fourth quarter. An offense that generated 72 yards and two first downs in a putrid first half was humming, and the defense was smothering.
That lasted all of 46 seconds. Legaux hit Ralph Abernathy IV on a wheel route — freshman nickel back Michael Cole missed the coverage — and Antone Exum whiffed on an open-field tackle at the 50, capping a grim day for him that included four major penalties.
Still, this from Beamer: "There's some positive things that came out of this. Just a tough way to lose."
Beamer also harped on the ACC schedule ahead, on how the Hokies (3-2, 1-0) can learn from non-conferences losses to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and return to the league title game.
Tech rebounded similarly in 2008 and '10. In 1995, the Hokies overcame an 0-2 start to win the Big East and Sugar Bowl.
These Hokies don't appear nearly as equipped on the offensive line. Their tackling is surprisingly weak, though Saturday wasn't nearly as bad as at Pitt. And their all-conference quarterback, Thomas, is struggling.
Thomas carries additional burdens this season without the likes of tailback David Wilson and receivers Danny Coale and Jarrett Boykin. But that doesn't fully explain his regression.
More than once Saturday Thomas misread coverages and failed to spot an open Marcus Davis. The Hokies' leading receiver didn't hide his frustration.
"I was so into the game, it was kind of getting to me," Davis said. "At the time, I was a little upset."
Thomas' worst blunder came after a holding penalty on fullback Riley Beiro nullified Martin Scales' 3-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. On the next snap, his flip toward tight end Randall Dunn sailed and deflected off Dunn's hands to Bearcats safety Arryn Chenault.
Dunn could have spared Thomas the pick with a first-rate catch, but the throw should have been better.
The Hokies gained 330 yards after intermission, with freshman Holmes running for 48 on the first touchdown drive. Dyrell Roberts did some damage on flanker sweeps.
"I thought we got better as an offense tonight," Beamer said. "I'm going to take that and build on that."
With nine senior starters, Cincinnati's defense may be better than folks realize. The Bearcats are 3-0 and smoked the Pitt team that smoked Tech.
But the Hokies didn't make a first down until their sixth, yes sixth, possession. The clock showed 5:17 remaining in the first half.
No matter the conditions, Ice Bowl included, or opponent, Steel Curtain even, that's unacceptable. Especially in the season's fifth game.
Beamer is right. Tech's redemption can start next week at North Carolina.
But daunting tests remain against Clemson and Florida State. Moreover, at this rate, no game is a layup. The streak of eight consecutive 10-win seasons that Beamer so often references, is in serious jeopardy.
Nearly halfway through the schedule, the Hokies aren't talented enough, or coached well enough, to meet that standard.

VT has looked pretty awful so far this year. Perhaps, the Pitt win is not so impressive after all.

Cincy is a very good team.

I heard that right after the Cincy game they went to the state legislators to see if they could get them the win.

Cincy is a very good team.
We'll find out just how good they are over their next 3 games vs. Miami(Oh), Fordham and @Toledo.:confused:

They are a very athletic team, but I wonder if that October schedule is going to hurt them come their 10/26 game @Lou.

I was never in VATech's corner. They have a history of weak scheduling to make them look good, but they rarely beat the big boys. That is solely on Beamer's shoulders. His guys can beat up the little boys but cannot play with the big boys.

I was never in VATech's corner. They have a history of weak scheduling to make them look good, but they rarely beat the big boys. That is solely on Beamer's shoulders. His guys can beat up the little boys but cannot play with the big boys.

Yeah. But let's not forget their big W against Georgia Tech...nevermind that they themselves lost this weekend to not an Eastern, nor Western, Southern or Northern Tennessee team...but a Middle. I guess it could be worse for them though had they lost to a Bottom...Tennessee. ;)

Yeah. But let's not forget their big W against Georgia Tech...nevermind that they themselves lost this weekend to not an Eastern, nor Western, Southern or Northern Tennessee team...but a Middle. I guess it could be worse for them though had they lost to a Bottom...Tennessee. ;)

Ga Tech is awful ... they are being shredded down here by all the talking heads ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom