McCord's running ability | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McCord's running ability

McCord didn't come here to run.

Correct. He had great pocket presence and can move some, but I expect him and coach to want to show off his ability to work the pocket and deliver the ball.

Only at SU could we get one of the best passers we've ever had on campus, coming off a season where he threw for more yards in a single season than every other Syracuse QB outside of Ryan Nassib in 2012, and people are concerned he's not going to run enough.

Only at SU could we get one of the best passers we've ever had on campus, coming off a season where he threw for more yards in a single season than every other Syracuse QB outside of Ryan Nassib in 2012, and people are concerned he's not going to run enough.

It's a discussion forum. For having discussions.

Or a standing back flip while flying a plane.
He flies next to the plane

superman flying GIF

It's just off-season SU football talk on an SU football message board.

On a far more important note, was Deion mean to anyone today?

Ryan Nassib begs to differ.

McCord is like Nassib, with all the passing abilities turned up to 10/10.
And he's got waaaay more talented WRs (numerically) than what Nassib had.
Plus stud TE's in OGII & Villari.

I'd say the RB's are maybe a wash, or slight lean towards the 2012 crew -
but lets see how this season plays out.
Todd Philcox ‘89 was a very effective qb at SU and played 5 years in the NFL. Just thought I’d mention him - he seems like the forgotten man (another qb not known for his mobility either) probably because he only started his last year at SU.

Todd Philcox ‘89 was a very effective qb at SU and played 5 years in the NFL. Just thought I’d mention him - he seems like the forgotten man (not known for his mobility either) probably because he only started his last year at SU.
Didn’t he beat PSU that season?

A decisive QB that knows how to get rid of the ball quickly can avoid the need for running. As long as we don't get the 2019 and 2020 style jailbreaks, he may not need to run.

The Dungey's and Garrett's are way more fun to watch and I love their style but there's a reason they couldn't survive a season. An elite pocket passer with a decent o-line and talented wideouts... maybe he can actual survive the gauntlet this year

It's amazing given how much we used the QB as a runningback that McPherson, Graves, Womack, Mason, and McNabb were never sidelined for more than a few plays here and there. That's a span of about 13 years. The worst I can recall is Graves and McNabb puking and wasting timeouts to keep them in the game.
You’re using Doug Freaking Womack as an example?! Loved his speed but he was a third string QB who attempted one pass his entire SU career. Hell, he was even moved to CB.

Disclaimer: I'm very happy that McCord is our starter.

Is his lack of running ability a concern? He ran for -65 yards last year (which in college factors in sack losses), zero rushing TDs, and his longest run the entire 2023 season was 9 yards. Did he have an injury that I'm drawing a blank on where the coaches told him not to run?

I know he's not going to be Dungey or Garrett and instead will primarily win games with his arm, but I'm hoping in 2024 he can decisively take off for first downs when the opportunity presents itself.
McCord needs to master the following runs

Down
out of bounds
QB sneak.

It's amazing given how much we used the QB as a runningback that McPherson, Graves, Womack, Mason, and McNabb were never sidelined for more than a few plays here and there. That's a span of about 13 years. The worst I can recall is Graves and McNabb puking and wasting timeouts to keep them in the game.
In 1997 McNabb was really beat up. By the time of the VT game he had injuries to both shoulders and wrapped up like a mummy. He didn’t practice going into that game.

Graves had major back issues. His senior year it hurt his performance significantly.

Disclaimer: I'm very happy that McCord is our starter.

Is his lack of running ability a concern? He ran for -65 yards last year (which in college factors in sack losses), zero rushing TDs, and his longest run the entire 2023 season was 9 yards. Did he have an injury that I'm drawing a blank on where the coaches told him not to run?

I know he's not going to be Dungey or Garrett and instead will primarily win games with his arm, but I'm hoping in 2024 he can decisively take off for first downs when the opportunity presents itself.
He is not a guy that will often run for first downs, but can escape the pass rush a bit as he is not entirely immobile. Brought in back-up QB Devin Brown for any QB runs plays last season.