McFarlane | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McFarlane

My post was in reference to the many posters on this board who insist on always seeing the glass as half full.
......as opposed to always seeing it as half empty? Really? Pretty shatty way to go through life.

My post was in reference to the many posters on this board who insist on always seeing the glass as half full.

I'm having a hard time finding the half empty posts before you made yours.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is a kid who really wanted to play running back. He was a little surprised when Morris was recruited. He also had a late offer from Vanderbilt to play running back. This doesn't surprise me at all. I started a thread yesterday that I was concerned about the RB spot. Eskridge and Desir must look pretty good too.

I'm having a hard time finding the half empty posts before you made yours.

Dude, look at any thread on this board. It's like the apocalypse because of the bad scrimmage at Ft. Drum.

......as opposed to always seeing it as half empty? Really? Pretty shatty way to go through life.
My bad. I meant half-empty. As in people who are pessimistic.

Dude, look at any thread on this board. It's like the apocalypse because of the bad scrimmage at Ft. Drum.

Dude. Your post was in this thread.

Btw, we are deep at S and RB but the RB's aren't standing out plus he wants to play RB not S. That's why he was moved. Whether that is half full or half empty is your call. Sometimes it is what it is.

Dude. Your post was in this thread.

Btw, we are deep at S and RB but the RB's aren't standing out plus he wants to play RB not S. That's why he was moved. Whether that is half full or half empty is your call. Sometimes it is what it is.

I wasn't trying to start a flame war. I was merely trying to provide some levity at the expense of the mood of some portions of our fanbase who have been posting negative comments on this board.

This seems like a nice "problem" to have. McFarlane was a three star recruit, reportedly a very good athlete. It seems like we might be moving him away from the safety position [where many had him projected] because we have outstanding depth there. He's being shifted to RB, where again we have solid numbers and lots of young talent in the pipeline [Morris, Edwards], so people don't want to see him "wasted" there.

The roster is really starting to flesh out--and that's great to see. I'm sure that McFarlane will be an asset no matter what position he ends up at long term.

I got it on very good authority (my sister's boy friend's barber) that this move is designed to free-up Broyld to concentrate on QB full time. He starts from game 1.

sounded like he was way off from being able to see the field on D so why not see what he can do on the O side. it might also justify him playing specials or be in the return game, if he is 4 deep at safety no reason to not RS him while 4 deep at RB maybe it is.
According to the last depth chart, he was #3 at SS. To see the field, Shamarko and Desir would first have to go down. If that happened, they would be more likely to shift someone with more experience over that isn't starting (loser of battles between Eskeridge/Wilkes and Anderson/Lyn). So he is effectively the #6 option at the position and it would take armageddon for him to receive any playing time.

At RB, the situation is reversed. The plan is to PLAY four and we have Smith, Gulley, Moore, Broyld, and Morris. With Rene out, McFarlane is technically the sixth option, but effectively #3. Two injuries (note that the top 3 RBs have had issues) and he's in the game (not to mention that two players ahead of him are also frosh with no experience advantage).

He's gotten a taste of safety - if injuries start to pile up, he could be shifted back over and brought up to speed as a contingency. In the meantime, it makes alot more sense to get him some exposure to RB (where he wants to play) because he could be called upon with very short notice.

Optimist: Safety's loaded with depth and experience. The kid wants to play RB, he's got wheels, and we could use someone with a short fuse to compliment the Smith/Gulley thunder and lightening tandem. More good news -- he'll be competing with several other highly touted tailbacks behind Smith and Gulley.

Pessimist: We need a guy to run AROUND the hole that the OLine isn't going to open, into the stacked defense that we can't overcome because we don't have the WR's to stretch the field or the time for the QB to throw it. More bad news ... even if DVM plays, it'll be three and out so he'll never get enough PT to find his stride out there even if he is capable of contributing.

He's not going to play over Thomas and Desir this year, and he won't play over Desir likely the next 2 years either. Not a bad move for him if he can emerge at RB, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him switched back.

I saw his high school films when he committed and I was impressed with his running ability. I wasn't all that happy that they switched him to the defensive backfield. I like his potential at RB.

I think he can contribute...eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom