McFarlane | Syracusefan.com

McFarlane

So does this say more about the depth at DB or RB, or that McFarlane wasn't picking up the defense, or that the coaches decided they needed another potential playmaker on offense?

I'm surprised they didn't give him a look at LB before moving him back.

I would have to think it would be do to nobody stepping up at rb and possibly looking for another playmaker. I'm not sure really where he fits in but maybe they're looking for a rb who is more versatile (catches well/can line up in slot) who can get out in space and create plays and hence the move.

We have a bunch of bodies at both RB and S. Between Shamarko, Wilkes, Desir, Esk, and Ford we don't have a strong need for another S. However with Smith, PTG, AAM, Broyld, and Morris we don't have a need for RB. I wonder if the move means Morris is redshirting? Then we would have a need for McFarlane at RB since he is likely a STer anyway.

So does this say more about the depth at DB or RB, or that McFarlane wasn't picking up the defense, or that the coaches decided they needed another potential playmaker on offense?
yes

back at RB

Might need to move him to WR just to get a practice body. From this morning's practice, no Flemming (no word yet on extent of injury), no West (unsure why, hopefully nothing), no Lemon, no Hale (both still sitting out with minor injuries).

I don't worry so much about these guys returning, but I'm starting to worry that all the reps the few remaining will get could lead those guys to an injury. This camp doesn't have many breaks in it, I think Thursday is their first day off.

Dukes sez hi! :eek:

Dukes ? How about Latavious Murray? Remember when he wanted to transfer here two years ago? We said no because George OLeary is Marrone's Godfather (j/k) but now Latavious is a Doak Walker candidate.

I have no problem with this. If people are saying that we have a lack of playmakers on offense, we might as well try out everyone we can to see if there's a spark.

MacFarlane was one of the guys I have been irrationality stoked about. If not for the Morris commit, I think he would have been at RB all along.

Isn't it also possible MacFarlane was unhappy with being on D and asked to be moved to RB?

Isn't it also possible MacFarlane was unhappy with being on D and asked to be moved to RB?
NO! It has to mean there's something wrong with the team!!! Everything must be a sign that our program is headed in the wrong direction!

MOar NeGAtiViTY!!!111!!! I neeeds it!!!
69e26b26_MOAR.jpeg

It means that, since the OL can't open holes (against stacked defenses) for a ground'n'pound guy like Smith, maybe we need someone in the backfield who has the talent to make it a little more interesting.

It means that, since the OL can't open holes (against stacked defenses) for a ground'n'pound guy like Smith, maybe we need someone in the backfield who has the talent to make it a little more interesting.

I get the coaches thinking with Smith and AAM but IMO I don't think it can work in this system. Those guys need the OL to open holes on a consistant basis. IMO Broyld, PTG, and Morris are all better fits for what we run. IMO we need quicker guys who can adjust to what is happening in front of them. However IMO PTG is only good for maybe a dozen carries a game and Morris is very raw right now. I think he will be good but I am not sure if he is ready for this season, or at least until BE play. IMO Broyld is a good fit for what we are trying to run. I can see him becoming like Daniel Thomas, who was also a QB/Athlete out of HS that turned into s 6'3 230 stud RB.

NO! It has to mean there's something wrong with the team!!! Everything must be a sign that our program is headed in the wrong direction!

69e26b26_MOAR.jpeg
Well personally I'd prefer a kid be moved to help the team than be moved because he's unhappy. Call me crazy but that seems more negative and detrimental to me.

I get the coaches thinking with Smith and AAM but IMO I don't think it can work in this system. Those guys need the OL to open holes on a consistant basis. IMO Broyld, PTG, and Morris are all better fits for what we run. IMO we need quicker guys who can adjust to what is happening in front of them. However IMO PTG is only good for maybe a dozen carries a game and Morris is very raw right now. I think he will be good but I am not sure if he is ready for this season, or at least until BE play. IMO Broyld is a good fit for what we are trying to run. I can see him becoming like Daniel Thomas, who was also a QB/Athlete out of HS that turned into s 6'3 230 stud RB.

I agree with many of these points ... Our OL is also not going to open holes (consistently) for a ground and pound running attack up the gut against stacked defenses -- not going to happen. We couldn't even move the ball against Rhode Island -- 36 yards on 25 attempts. http://www.suathletics.com/documents/2011/9/10/SyracuseRhody9.10.11.pdf
So the staff is understandably looking at another stategy ... with appropriate personnel changes.

Hopefully, what results is a more asymetrical offense -- counters, screens, passes to the flat or downfield ... anything to stetch defenses out and give our RB's some space. PTG could help if he could hold up for more than a game or 2. But he's not that durable.

So who else? Maybe AB fits the bill (a recent vid of him showed some serious moves). And if GM has enough grasp of the system to play, let him play. I don't agree with how the staff burned AAM's rs (12 snaps and 40 yards), so if they burn GM's rs he'd better be ready. Either way, running Smith up the gut for 1-2 yards isn't going to cut it.

This is undoubtedly a shot at the current state of the RB position. That's disappointing.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see DVM back at RB and there is really good depth in the secondary so not a major loss there.

Lets hope this either pushes one of the current guys harder to grab the job or that McFarlane is the man himself. In any event, we need a playmaker at that position (and WR for that matter).

One of these guys has to be the answer, right? (crosses fingers)

Ditto

69e26b26_MOAR.jpeg
. Ditto, ... More negatives lets keep the half empty crowd HAPPY!

69e26b26_MOAR.jpeg

Fwiw, Marrone said it was because of the lack of separation at the rb position in the scrimmage Saturday.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Fwiw, Marrone said it was because of the lack of separation at the rb position in the scrimmage Saturday.

True. But he also said we are too deep at safety and DVM wouldn't play there. So...again, half-empty/half-full.
Marrone said. “We have a lot of competition back at the safety position. We didn’t think Devante would be involved in that.”

sounded like he was way off from being able to see the field on D so why not see what he can do on the O side. it might also justify him playing specials or be in the return game, if he is 4 deep at safety no reason to not RS him while 4 deep at RB maybe it is.

True. But he also said we are too deep at safety and DVM wouldn't play there. So...again, half-empty/half-full.

Well it is Marrone that is half empty/half full then.

Well it is Marrone that is half empty/half full then.

My post was in reference to the many posters on this board who insist on always seeing the glass as half full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom