McNabb has NASCAR fans fueled up | Syracusefan.com

McNabb has NASCAR fans fueled up

They're not.
Whether someone considers what they do athletic or not, you have to admit driving at 180 mph for three straight hours bumper to bumper is pretty impressive. Also time to give a shout out to Jimmie Johnson and Team 48 who is about to win his 6th championship in seven years today. Believe it or not it is a huge team sport.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Whether someone considers what they do athletic or not, you have to admit driving at 180 mph for three straight hours bumper to bumper is pretty impressive. Also time to give a shout out to Jimmie Johnson and Team 48 who is about to win his 6th championship in seven years today. Believe it or not it is a huge team sport.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using 2

They only turn one way - geez.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using 2
They are skilled, no doubt. They are not athletes, IMO. Frankly, neither are bowlers.

I would bet an athlete of McNabb's caliber would have a much easier time developing a high level proficiency (say an equivalent of FCS college football) at NASCAR than top flight NASCAR drivers could develop to be FCS level football players.

The drivers are incredibly talented and have skills that most people, including NFL players, don't have. But they're not athletes.

Or most baseball players.
Reminds me of something a player (John Kruk?) once said (and I paraphrase): "I was with some some other players in a restaurant, and we were being rather loud. A lady at a nearby table said loudly "I can't believe how those athletes are behaving.' I replied, 'Lady, we're not athletes, we're baseball players.' "

Reminds me of something a player (John Kruk?) once said (and I paraphrase): "I was with some some other players in a restaurant, and we were being rather loud. A lady at a nearby table said loudly "I can't believe how those athletes are behaving.' I replied, 'Lady, we're not athletes, we're baseball players.' "
The version I heard was that he was smoking a cigarette outside the Philly airport and a woman said to him, "I can't believe you're an athlete and you're smoking" -- to which he replied, "I'm not an athlete -- I'm a baseball player."

That said, try an hit a 95-MPH fastball.

The version I heard was that he was smoking a cigarette outside the Philly airport and a woman said to him, "I can't believe you're an athlete and you're smoking" -- to which he replied, "I'm not an athlete -- I'm a baseball player."

That said, try an hit a 95-MPH fastball.
That could have been it, too. Probably just my faulty memory. College days coming home to roost. :D

Do u need hand eye coordination to be an athlete. Jordan sucked at baseball.

Hand eye coordination is necessary for most sports. But the hand eye coordination necessary to hit a baseball professionally is a rare skill that doesn't equate to being athletic.

I'm sure MJ or many other world class athletes also lack the hand eye coordination to be skilled hockey players. Does that mean hockey players aren't athletes?

For every MJ, or exceptional athlete who struggles to hit a baseball, I can point out the innumerable fat dumps who were/are exceptional baseball players in spite of their lack of athleticism. All because they have the extremely rare skill of being able to hit or throw a baseball.

Saddle up Mr McNabb, slap a helmet on and give it a go if your so sure ... its just turning left, how athletic do you need to be, right?

The only guys who are athletes in NASCAR are the guys on the pit crew, from what I've seen/read. Car racing does not equal athletics. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it and/or delusional.

Their cars are more athletic. No matter how athletic a driver is, if his car stinks it won't matter.
Every baseball apologist always comes back with this. Is it a rare skill to hit a ball moving 95 mph? Absolutely.

Is this skill indicative of being an athlete? Hell no.

Is throwing a baseball at 95 miles an hour athletic? If not indicative of being an athlete- then are qb's really athletes? Offensive lineman? Are pilots, astronauts, jockeys etc athletes? It is interesting what we do and don't consider athletes. :p

They only turn one way - geez.
Come on my man, there are road courses you know. I enjoyed NASCAR until they went all Hollywood. Still it's a pretty unique cool experience to hear, see and smell the smells of 43 cauldrons of power blowing by you and at you. Not athletes certainly but I'd reccommend anyone to try it once.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the endurance aspect of the sport. 3 or 4 hours inside a car that can be over 130 degrees on a southern track is nothing to sneeze at.

That said I don't think they are athletes any more than golfers are but to deny the physical demands the sport puts in them is silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on my man, there are road courses you know. I enjoyed NASCAR until they went all Hollywood. Still it's a pretty unique cool experience to hear, see and smell the smells of 43 cauldrons of power blowing you and at you. Not athletes certainly but I'd reccommend anyone to try it once.
Does Mrs. Cuseregular know about this? ;)