MCW Leaving - Not a Forgone Conclusion... | Syracusefan.com

MCW Leaving - Not a Forgone Conclusion...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I love what this kid brings to the table. There is no question if he chooses to go that he will get drafted in the first half of the first round. That begs the question - how high might that be ????

We all know the attributes of his game, but he also clearly needs to improve in three areas:

1. Cut his TO's in half.

2. Show he can hit at least enough outside shots to keep em honest.

3. Develop his little teardrop runner.

This brings me to the point. It might take him an extra season to fine tune his game and to improve on those weaknesses. If he could accomplish that, maybe he could go #1 overall. Add those things to his game & he would be looking a lot like Derrick Rose.

Is it possible that he would stay an extra season to say move up from #10 to #1 ?????

If he saw things the way I have outlined above, just maybe he stays that extra season to realize his full draft potential.

I feel like most kids would rather get to the league earlier to make more money rather than the pride of being a #1 overall pick (which I don't think he'd be anyways with Wiggins and Parker coming out next year).

The only way he stays an extra season is if we don't win the title and he decides he really wants to try. Otherwise he is 100% gone. It's best to just accept it at this point, so that we aren't heartbroken this spring.

He's actually a very good shooter. He's gone so end this thread.

yes sir!.... I think he is likely going as well but unless you have access to his exact thoughts and future decisions lets hold off on the " its absolutely a done deal" posts. I don't see any harm in discussing the matter. If he doesn't start showing off his ability to shoot from the outside it could impact his draft stock. So regardless of his intent, there will still be two sides to making the decision.

He has not shot well from the outside at Syracuse. Have you based your statement on his high school shooting?

He has not shot well from the outside at Syracuse. Have you based your statement on his high school shooting?
yep. he just hasnt bothered to shoot his way into a rhythm because he doesnt need to ... but when he was needed to score for his previous teams, he would gun it from anywhere

yep. he just hasnt bothered to shoot his way into a rhythm because he doesnt need to ... but when he was needed to score for his previous teams, he would gun it from anywhere

I'm not getting this. He's not shooting well because we don't need him to? I'm not saying he doesn't have shooting ability, but are you implying he can turn it off and on? Either he's a good shooter or he is not. He can improve and have good games and bad games but this still makes zero sense to me.

Getting drafted is more about potential than what you've done- if he's projected to go at a decent spot- and I think he would be- he should go. He can develop his skills prepping for the NBA as well as he can here.

Sell when your stock is up. If your getting garanteed money you go, the reason these kids are in school it for bball and the NBA. I refuse to fool myself into thinking the most talented PG in the NCAA (in a weak draft fior guards) will be back at school simply because as a fan I want him to.

He is gone. Let me ask it a different way. What advice would you give the kid if you had his best interest at heart and not your own?

If he was 19 id say there's a small chance he'd come back. But 21? BUH BYE

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Numerous sure fire first rounders stay in college: without looking anyone up I remember Sullinger and Terrence Jones last season, Zeller this season, lots of guys from NCar over the last 5 years.

The chances he goes to the NBA are greater than the purity of Ivory soap.

Numerous sure fire first rounders stay in college: without looking anyone up I remember Sullinger and Terrence Jones last season, Zeller this season, lots of guys from NCar over the last 5 years.
Those players all watched their stock dropped outside of the top 10.

With Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and the Harrison twins being available in the 2014 draft. I don't think MCW would even crack the top 5 if he balled out next year.

Going back and watching his high school mixtape, it's crazy how much his arc has fallen off on his jump shot. There's a huge difference. It's so weird.

Those players all watched their stock dropped outside of the top 10.

With Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and the Harrison twins being available in the 2014 draft. I don't think MCW would even crack the top 5 if he balled out next year.

Zeller, Sullinger, Lawson, Hansborough... I don't think so. T Jones' stock dropped during his soph year, probably the same with Sullinger.

Zeller, Sullinger, Lawson, Hansborough... I don't think so. T Jones' stock dropped during his soph year, probably the same with Sullinger.
None of those Carolina players were selected in the top 10. Sullinger, T. Jones, and Perry Jones were all projected top 10 picks after their freshman year.

read it and weep the kid is too good to stick around another year. I would love for him to stay but it isnt going to happen

I'm not getting this. He's not shooting well because we don't need him to? I'm not saying he doesn't have shooting ability, but are you implying he can turn it off and on? Either he's a good shooter or he is not. He can improve and have good games and bad games but this still makes zero sense to me.
No, actually what I'm saying is that he CAN'T just turn it off and on, and that's precisely why his % numbers are down. He doesn't need to score much for this team, so he doesn't, and his stroke gets rusty... but he certainly has shown himself to have the ability to kick off the rust and find his shot again, but that would require him to start looking for his shot more often. He hasn't needed to do, so he doesn't... when he doesn't he begins to appear like he can't, when he definitely can.