MCW Leaving - Not a Forgone Conclusion... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW Leaving - Not a Forgone Conclusion...

Is this the thread where we pretend that MCW might stay because he just looooooooooves SU so much and isn't ready yet?
Pretty much dontbelieve2.png

No, actually what I'm saying is that he CAN'T just turn it off and on, and that's precisely why his % numbers are down. He doesn't need to score much for this team, so he doesn't, and his stroke gets rusty... but he certainly has shown himself to have the ability to kick off the rust and find his shot again, but that would require him to start looking for his shot more often. He hasn't needed to do, so he doesn't... when he doesn't he begins to appear like he can't, when he definitely can.

I follow you now...I understand what you mean about shooting rust but my point is he has never shown a good shooting ability since he's been in college...Could it be there (the ability) underneath the rust? Maybe btu we just don't know. His shot doesn't have much arc, that's one's cause for concern and his misses have mostly been bad misses not bad luck.

read it and weep the kid is too good to stick around another year. I would love for him to stay but it isnt going to happen

He's not that good.
He hasn't done it against good competition.
Whatever he has done has been in a Small Sample Size.
He still hasn't demonstrated an outside shot.
He's still not strong enough for the NBA.
The categories in which he's excelling aren't sexy enough to compensate for the above.
His track record is nil. Barely played last year.
Too many other sexy names coming out next year.
You're basing this on Assists and Steals, but the steals have come out of a trapping zone. Is MCW really ready to take on physical, larger NBA adult-bodied guards in M2M and succeed? Is he physically ready to deal with all the picks over 82 games?
He still hasn't demonstrated an outside shot. A double redundancy, I know, but we're going to see, in short time, that teams will begin playing him for the drive rather than the jumper, and his penetrations will suffer by league time. And, the NBA guys would have adjusted already.

Whether it happens or not, predicting it based on five games against nobodies is ridiculous. If I recall, wasn't there significant debate over whether Carmelo should return for his sophomore season? Maybe a lot of that had to do with desire to stay/leave. Maybe MCW is determined to get out as soon as possible. But, there's a huge chasm between who Carmelo was, what he had done, and his NBA readiness, versus MCW's resume and readiness.

If I recall, wasn't there significant debate over whether Carmelo should return for his sophomore season? .

Just from townies who don't watch any pro ball and believe basketball begins and ends at SU.

He's not that good.
He hasn't done it against good competition.
Whatever he has done has been in a Small Sample Size.
He still hasn't demonstrated an outside shot.
He's still not strong enough for the NBA.
The categories in which he's excelling aren't sexy enough to compensate for the above.
His track record is nil. Barely played last year.
Too many other sexy names coming out next year.
You're basing this on Assists and Steals, but the steals have come out of a trapping zone. Is MCW really ready to take on physical, larger NBA adult-bodied guards in M2M and succeed? Is he physically ready to deal with all the picks over 82 games?
He still hasn't demonstrated an outside shot. A double redundancy, I know, but we're going to see, in short time, that teams will begin playing him for the drive rather than the jumper, and his penetrations will suffer by league time. And, the NBA guys would have adjusted already.

Whether it happens or not, predicting it based on five games against nobodies is ridiculous. If I recall, wasn't there significant debate over whether Carmelo should return for his sophomore season? Maybe a lot of that had to do with desire to stay/leave. Maybe MCW is determined to get out as soon as possible. But, there's a huge chasm between who Carmelo was, what he had done, and his NBA readiness, versus MCW's resume and readiness.

You do make some good points. But MCW's size and skill set are relatively unique for a point guard and that makes him a very attractive NBA prospect. He will likely play himself into a top 10 draft slot by the end of this season, and he will turn 22 next fall. A third year of college basketball would probably benefit him, but it might also fully expose his weaknesses and ceiling, and hurt his draft position. Given all that, I would be very surprised if he returns.

So in his chat today, Chad Ford was asked who the top PG in this draft class is, and while he couldn't decide, MCW was one of the three names he mentioned as people "making a strong case."

Yeah, he's gone.

Not with anyone with a brain in their head.

I thought both JB and Carmelo characterized it as a difficult decision. No brains in the heads of the two people most closely associated with the situation? It's easy to look back and say, 'yeah, he was ready,' but the decision to leave SU was not entirely about predicting NBA success. Nor should it necessarily be.

Maybe you believe Carmelo's own words were disingenuous. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3008)
I don't think so — certainly not 100%. There was real thought of returning, and this was after a full season in which he won BEPOW 9 times ("Nine times. Niiiine times.").

Whatever. Saying MCW is ready now based on five games against no one in particular, with one of them on a boat is as silly as expecting his current numbers to be predictive of his end of season numbers. I expect his outside shooting to get better percentage-wise, but with more discipline in-league, but his assists and steals will come down. He's already playing a lot of minutes, with no backup depth, so it's not like his stats could be projected higher.

Whatever. Saying MCW is ready now based on five games against no one in particular, with one of them on a boat is as silly as expecting his current numbers to be predictive of his end of season numbers.

Here's where you are looking at it wrong... looking at STATS like that's what people get drafted on.

Andre Drummond scored 10 pts a game and was the #9 draft pick because he was a big dude who could be a beast
If MCW stinks the rest of the year he's still a 6'6 or whatever point guard with a slick handle and the ability to get to the hole and can hit a jumper once in awhile...and this is the worst case scenario.

Maybe you believe Carmelo's own words were disingenuous.

I think Carmelo liked being in Syracuse and respected/looked up to JB and didn't want to disappoint him.

I don't think for a second he was serious about staying. he just wanted JB to give him the thumbs up...imo.

I had no idea MCW was 21 already. Yeah, I bet he's gone unless he tanks the rest of the season.

You do make some good points. But MCW's size and skill set are relatively unique for a point guard and that makes him a very attractive NBA prospect. He will likely play himself into a top 10 draft slot by the end of this season, and he will turn 22 next fall. A third year of college basketball would probably benefit him, but it might also fully expose his weaknesses and ceiling, and hurt his draft position. Given all that, I would be very surprised if he returns.

That's the thing... or the concern, re: his "size." His height is nice. But, his build doesn't often translate in the NBA. I can't really think of a parallel, except for the Shaun Livingston (taller) and Jamal Crawford (not a PG, and a much better shooter). It sounds good — 6' 5"-ish PG with great passing skills, vision, and creativity. Maybe Rondo is the model, but he's stronger and was supposed to be a good man defender.

I don't know what's going to happen. I can only hope Michael continues to develop and his personal successes coincide with the team's needs. I think he'll be a good pro. But I still see so much for him to get better at before I'd want to draft him in the top 10. He still gets sloppy. He still overanticipates and gets into stickier situations than is necessary. He still doesn't shoot well from the outside. He still gets his pocket picked by smaller, less-talented players... Plenty to work on, and he's still far from a developed, polished player, despite the early accolades. If he does what he's doing now, but against Pitt and Georgetown and Louisville — the positive stuff — I'll be convinced.

Maybe Rondo is the model, but he's stronger and was supposed to be a good man defender.

You just answered your own question though with that one.

If MCW is available in the draft, how many teams are going to pass on a guy that could be the "next Rondo".

Rondo got to #21. How many of those 20 teams that passed will be like, "NOT AGAIN, I'm taking a chance"

I totally get what you are saying, I just know the NBA doesn't draft that way. Otherwise, Fab wouldn't have been a first round pick.

I hope he gets 4 triple doubles in a row just so I don't have to read threads like this all season.

Weak guard class, great measurables, great talent ans upside = bye bye.

Just from townies who don't watch any pro ball and believe basketball begins and ends at SU.

To say nothing of the board contrarians who think that being negative makes them enlightened.

Apparently Melo considered it at some point, unless those tears at the press conference where he announced he was going pro were of the crocodile variety.

Basketball does begin and end at SU. the middle is made up of some crap called the Association. :)

If he leads us to another championship, this conversation will be just as dead as it was when melo won it, there would be nothing else to prove on the college stage for him.

ESPN is talking up MCW bigtime this morning. Our whole highlight on SportsCenter/Mike and Mike is a " Look how awesome MCW is" montage lol.

People who think MCW is coming back and have no idea how the NBA Draft works: Morons

Everyone else: Realists

Gone. Sayonara. Goodbye. See ya. Adios. Arrivederci.