MCW on CNN this morning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW on CNN this morning

How exactly is it stupid? Should they have another decade of just in/just out of the playoffs with a much lower chance of getting a game changer in the draft? It's a long term strategy, which has been something lacking from that franchise forever. they have mcw, nerlens and two likely lottery picks this year...plus some combo of thad young, evan turner et al...and lots of cap room. the stupid move would be to continue to leverage the future to sneak into the playoffs with a mediocre team again.

Stupid because worst record doesn't mean first pick necessarily. Stupid because there isn't a Lebron out there.

I don't have all the answers, maybe in 25 years we'll look back and say wow what a great idea it was to lose on purpose. If we hadn't done that then we wouldn't have been able to draft so and so and win a bunch of championships. Who knows, but I doubt that will be the case.

Stupid because worst record doesn't mean first pick necessarily. Stupid because there isn't a Lebron out there.

I don't have all the answers, maybe in 25 years we'll look back and say wow what a great idea it was to lose on purpose. If we hadn't done that then we wouldn't have been able to draft so and so and win a bunch of championships. Who knows, but I doubt that will be the case.
there may not be a lebron but there are about 6 guys better than anyone from the last couple of year...so if you're not winning anyway it behooves you to try to position yourself for one of them (or in Philly's case, position yourself for 2 of them potentially...plus Noel).

Look at the sonics/thunder. They tanked a few seasons and got Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Green, Harden. Problem is a lot of teams that perennially tank are dysfunctional organizations to begin with.

there may not be a lebron but there are about 6 guys better than anyone from the last couple of year...so if you're not winning anyway it behooves you to try to position yourself for one of them (or in Philly's case, position yourself for 2 of them potentially...plus Noel).

I will say this draft will be very deep. The problem for me with tanking, specifically the sixers tanking, is that I think even if they tried as hard as they could they would most likely still be in the lottery anyway. Let MCW and these other young players use this year to learn, encourage him to play as well as they can, don't sit him on the bench as often as you can get away with it. Also let Nerlens come back when the doctors clear him to do so - taking extra time doesn't guarantee anything. Look at D Rose as an example.

Look at the sonics/thunder. They tanked a few seasons and got Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Green, Harden. Problem is a lot of teams that perennially tank are dysfunctional organizations to begin with.
that's the key. when decent orgs get those top picks they make them count (SA with david robinson, ORL with Shaq, Chicago with Rose, etc). Philly tanking with Billy King and their old leadership would be a waste. Doing it with a new stats-centric scouting effort and Spurs system in place is a perfect business move. it may or may not work, but this is the first time i've had any interest paying attention to their scores in a LONG time.

that's the key. when decent orgs get those top picks they make them count (SA with david robinson, ORL with Shaq, Chicago with Rose, etc). Philly tanking with Billy King and their old leadership would be a waste. Doing it with a new stats-centric scouting effort and Spurs system in place is a perfect business move. it may or may not work, but this is the first time i've had any interest paying attention to their scores in a LONG time.

I agree with you there, never had much interest in following the NBA but this Sixers squad has me hooked, albeit mainly because of MCW, but I think coach brown will be a really good coach and he's done a great job with some really young and undeveloped players. I'm not going to go on any further with the tanking good or bad strategy debate becuase I think both sides have an argument and if this team can make me interested in the NBA again then I guess I don't care strategy they use.

So you think the Sixers are not tanking??? I agree that Noel being out is not tanking as much as just rehabing, but, that isn't the only evidence for them tanking. It's at least widely speculated that they are tanking, I have no inside knowledge of it of course.

By the way, I don't agree with a tanking strategy, I think its stupid. Doesn't mean it isn't happening

What evidence do you have that they ARE tanking? MCW was in the hospital with a serious infection, and he missed a few games with a foot injury. Noel is rehabbing an ACL.

Remember, teams need customers to still show up and PAY to attend these games. If it is so obvious that they don't care about the current season, then customers are not going to buy tickets, the team won't earn as much money from parking and concessions, etc. This is a business, after all.

What evidence do you have that they ARE tanking? MCW was in the hospital with a serious infection, and he missed a few games with a foot injury. Noel is rehabbing an ACL.

Remember, teams need customers to still show up and PAY to attend these games. If it is so obvious that they don't care about the current season, then customers are not going to buy tickets, the team won't earn as much money from parking and concessions, etc. This is a business, after all.

Rumors about actively shopping Evan Turner and Thad Young, already exclaiming that Noel will be out for the year even though he has said he will be ready before the year is over. They gave Kwame Brown a contract.

Rumors about actively shopping Evan Turner and Thad Young, already exclaiming that Noel will be out for the year even though he has said he will be ready before the year is over. They gave Kwame Brown a contract.

Actively shopping Turner and Young is not evidence of tanking, at least not in the way you originally suggested it...as though they were doing things to intentionally lose e.g. holding out players that were otherwise able to contribute to potential wins.
Shopping Turner and Young is just smart business. See what they get in return, if they even move them, before you use that as evidence that they are tanking.

MCW is not going to lead the current group of Sixers to the NBA championship. He11 if it weren't for the fact that the Atlantic Division was so downright putrid, I'd say there was a 0% chance that MCW could even get the current crop of Sixers into the playoffs. So if they are being extra cautious with his injury (which noone really knows) it is smart. Their current roster stinks, so why run young guys who aren't healthy out there and put their health in further jeopardy?

they don't need customers for one year if there's a *real* plan in place. this is the first year the sixers have had buzz in forever and it's because they actually have a longer term plan. trading an all star pg (holliday) for noel and an extra pick this year is part of the tank. the amount they're under the cap is a tank. spencer hawes being out soon is a tank. signing tony wroten is a tank. it is what it is...and it's the first time any of us philly people have been positive in a long time.

Sixers are holding him out now and will continue to hold him out of competition in the future for trumped up injuries that he could and would play through - all for the Wiggins/Parker/Randle sweepstakes. Why do you think Boeheim spoke so harshly about teams tanking and said there weren't any trancendant players worth tanking for. Boeheim has probably spoken with MCW about the "injury" and MCW probably told him that he was being held out by the Sixers front office. Look, its clear to me that MCW will be a star, and thats probably pretty clear to the Sixers as well - but if tanking to get one more piece to add to a young up and coming team requires MCW to sit out games here and there the Sixers front office will be more than willing to do that.

Lets just hope this doesn't cost MCW the rookie of the year trophy and doesn't cause him to be labeled by the media as "injury prone".
Thing is, they are a lottery team with him too.

The infection is keeping him out, I don't think they sit out a rookie who they want to continue to developed just to throw away a few wins. The sixers roster is not good enough to be a playoff team. They won games early, but don't have the talent to win that many games. Also it's been since like 2002 since the worst team record wise got the first pick, so winning a few games won't blow their chance .

Or they could garner more draft picks in the deepest draft in years. I always thought Evan Turner was kind of a tweener at this level, although he has improved this year - but they've needed him to do more. Young has been a late bloomer, but is at a tradeable level now after 7 years in the league. Both are at their peaks. If you get a 1st round pick for each, that's gold. Three first round picks in this draft could create a contender with a couple years.

I think that when teams tank, it's generally done multiple seasons. So if that is what is going on here (I don't know if it is), I can't see the 76ers doing it again. Thus, if he is healthy in the future, he'll get to play if he's good enough...On another note, if Philly is keeping Noel out, I think it would be wise to play him at the end of the season for a month or so if he's healthy. He probably wouldn't win them too many games, but the refs would get to know him.

Flip side to that argument is you play him in summer league ball, which is less demanding and will be more of a confidence builder for his comeback.

Sixers are shopping Turner because he's a free agent at the end of the year. I don't think they are looking to pay him $ so they will see what they might be able to get.

This year's draft doesn't have a Lebron, but it also looks to have 5-6 "can't miss" players. It's going to be hard to find a loser in the draft lottery as this year ending up with picks 4-7 won't keep teams from getting a star.