MCW = shotgun mouth and BB-gun a$$ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW = shotgun mouth and BB-gun a$$

My biggest issues with jimmy b, He's Played Zone for 35 years And Still doesn't have a Good offense for a Zone defense. Our offense in the second Half Was So stagnant

Our problem was singularly that we STILL aren't effective against a zone offense. This sounds kinda crazy but MCW is tall enough to be the receiver of the ball at the foul line and we know he could pass to a cutting JS, JG or CJ.

If not that, I like Grant there.

That's why I can't understand what the NBA sees in him,

So, he's 6-6 and....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He needs to get physically stronger, and stronger with his handle. He's good enough to steamroll bad teams. Anybody with a decent on ball defender and he's average.

All that talk early in the early about player of the year and one and done was silly.

I don't mind the comments if you can back it up. Unfortunately...

He needs to get physically stronger, and stronger with his handle. He's good enough to steamroll bad teams. Anybody with a decent on ball defender and he's average.

All that talk early in the early about player of the year and one and done was silly.

Agree 100%. But that still won't prevent him from leaving, or from being drafted in the lottery.

And to be clear, I agree 100% with both of your statements above. He got away with a LOT in the preseason portion of the schedule that he isn't able to against comparably talented teams. He's a good player, just not a transcendent talent like some implied he was early on in the season.

Last night was a perfect example of why no player should downgrade their opponent before a big game, and why coaches usually demand that players don't make such remarks. Gives an incentive to your opponent (locker room material), and, most times, makes the player shooting his mouth off look like an idiot. After his and the team's effort last night, MCW looks like a loud-mouth in a Lord & Taylor bathrobe, whose mouth overloaded his a$$. I hope it's a lesson learned for MCW.

Bulletin board material is really overrated.

MCW isn't the reason GTown held the ball for 33 seconds on each possession, or why Triche couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

I really thought when GTown picked up the early 2 fouls in the secod JB would have us attacking the tin, don't understand that gameplan.

As the play-by=play guy said, MCW hasn't been consistent. I would expect a lottery pick to dominate a game and do it most of the time. Since the hard games stsared (league play) he is lucky to be dominate 50% of the time. Look at Waiters, (a #4 pick), hime many bad or off games didhe have last year.

I agree. Not all on him. I've said for years that we really don't have a great offensive scheme. A lot of what we produce offensively is from one on one play and happenstance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i'm waiting for dasher to come back and say 34-3 last year to blast you.

He wasn't great by any means, but MCW was not the problem today. Not at all.
I can name at least 3 other players who had much worse games than he did, and who were more of a reason for the loss.

Not looking at stats, I still thought he had the best game on our team yesterday. Statistically it's probably CJ, but I didn't really like the way he played yesterday. Didn't fill the middle of the zone well at all and just didnt seem himself. MCW could have been more aggressive, but we've been saying all year he needs to be less aggressive. He still spread the ball around well yesterday, didnt really force anything, and still made a lot of great plays (some that were converted and some that were not)

As the play-by=play guy said, MCW hasn't been consistent. I would expect a lottery pick to dominate a game and do it most of the time. Since the hard games stsared (league play) he is lucky to be dominate 50% of the time. Look at Waiters, (a #4 pick), hime many bad or off games didhe have last year.

He had a lot of bad games man. A lot.

But when he did, you could almost guarantee that it coincided with good games from Joseph or Scoop or Triche. Look at Waiters after Fab was suspended and before the Big East Tournament. His numbers were not lottery worthy at all based on your criteria.

Big Game check
Big Stage check
Big Rival check
Record Crowd check
MCW comes up small check

Seen the same thing all year long. He is not the player that everyone thinks he is. If he was he would have had moments that he imprinted himself in the game. Instead he took a back seat to G-Towns superstar. MCW made 1 good pass that I remember and dunked the ball once and had 1 good block. After that nothing. At no point in the game did he impose his will and take over like a lottery pick should. He is suppose to be our star this year. He is suppose to take over the game at some point. But he failed to do so and is the reason why we lost. IMO G-Town star out played our star bottom line.

What does that have to do with his statement, in which he said that Syracuse has always been better than Georgetown and always will be?

Are you really saying that statement is why Otto Porter went off? Apparently he was the only one that thought that statement was a big deal since he was their only player that showed up in a big way.

And to MCW's game (or supposed lack thereof) everyone here was b*tching when he took 13 shots a game and now people are b*tching when he plays distributor and the supporting cast can't hit a shot. It isn't on him for attacking the zone (IMO, on the coaches - your wings are the guys that need to dribble drive and MCW actually fed C.J. in the middle from up top - where you can't dribble penetrate from) and he played within himself.

To me, you can b*tch about one or the other. If you b*tch about both, you just don't understand the team.

Are you really saying that statement is why Otto Porter went off? Apparently he was the only one that thought that statement was a big deal since he was their only player that showed up in a big way.

And to MCW's game (or supposed lack thereof) everyone here was b*tching when he took 13 shots a game and now people are b*tching when he plays distributor and the supporting cast can't hit a shot. It isn't on him for attacking the zone (IMO, on the coaches - your wings are the guys that need to dribble drive and MCW actually fed C.J. in the middle from up top - where you can't dribble penetrate from) and he played within himself.

To me, you can b*tch about one or the other. If you b*tch about both, you just don't understand the team.

This. I honestly thought MCW had the best game on our team yesterday (which isn't a good thing, but it's something lol). And he made much more than just one good pass. He was just about the only one that made any plays.

To me, you can b*tch about one or the other. If you b*tch about both, you just don't understand the team.[/quote]

This right here. 100% truth.

Everybody b*tches when Carter-Williams had a high number of shot attempts. I remember comments like "Our winning percentage is directly proportional to MCWs shot attempts." and the like.

And then he goes out and facilitates, only taking 6 shots. while also:

1.) Tied for most rebounds of any guard playing in the game (4 rebounds, tied with D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera of Georgetown.)

2.) Tied for most assists of any player playing in game (4 assists, tied with Jabril Trawick of Georgetown.)

3.) Tied for second most steals of any player in game (2 steals, tied for second with Southerland, while Otto Porter was 1st with absurd 5 steals.)

4.) Most efficient scorer for Syracuse yesterday (points per FG attempt):
MCW: 1.67 (10 points on 6 FG attempts)
Fair: 1.30 (13 points on 10 FG attempts)
Grant: 1.0 (1 point on 1 FG attempt)
Southerland: .93 (13 points on 14 FG attempts)
Triche: .77 (10 points on 13 FG attempts)
RAK: .67 (2 points on 3 FG attempts)
Keita: - (0 points on 1 FG attempt)
Cooney: - (0 points on 2 FG attempts)

I'd really hate to see this offense try to score without Carter-Williams facilitating out there.

This right here. 100% truth.

Everybody b*tches when Carter-Williams had a high number of shot attempts. I remember comments like "Our winning percentage is directly proportional to MCWs shot attempts." and the like.

And then he goes out and facilitates, only taking 6 shots. while also:

1.) Tied for most rebounds of any guard playing in the game (4 rebounds, tied with D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera of Georgetown.)

2.) Tied for most assists of any player playing in game (4 assists, tied with Jabril Trawick of Georgetown.)

3.) Tied for second most steals of any player in game (2 steals, tied for second with Southerland, while Otto Porter was 1st with absurd 5 steals.)

4.) Most efficient scorer for Syracuse yesterday (points per FG attempt):
MCW: 1.67 (10 points on 6 FG attempts)
Fair: 1.30 (13 points on 10 FG attempts)
Grant: 1.0 (1 point on 1 FG attempt)
Southerland: .93 (13 points on 14 FG attempts)
Triche: .77 (10 points on 13 FG attempts)
RAK: .67 (2 points on 3 FG attempts)
Keita: - (0 points on 1 FG attempt)
Cooney: - (0 points on 2 FG attempts)

I'd really hate to see this offense try to score without Carter-Williams facilitating out there.

Good post. And that was me who made the comment about the MCW shots/chance of winning.

I still stand by it though. MCW had a few boneheaded plays late (caught in the air, backwards passes, as did Triche. Seriously, what are some of these passes?) but he had some great steals and finishes and tried to get something going.

Again, give me 6 shots from him over 17 any day. The catch? Someone else needs to make baskets.

And while I'm looking into the stats...

Here are the Big East's leaders in PER (John Hollinger Player Efficiency Rating, per ESPN) along with stats on experience coming into this season:

1.) Jack Cooley (SR), ND - 30.42 PER (played 1,409 mins over 3 years before this season.)
2.) Devante Gardner (JR), Marq - 29.75 PER (played 812 mins over 2 years before this season.)
3.) Otto Porter Jr (SO), Georgetown - 28.56 PER (played 980 mins over 1 year before this season.)
4.) James Southerland (SR), SU - 25.65 PER (played 1,086 mins over 3 years before this season.)
5.) Russ Smith (JR), Louisville - 25.62 PER (played 933 mins over 2 years before this season.)
6.) Shabazz Napier (JR), UCONN - 24.50 PER (played 2,167 mins over 2 years before this season.)
7.) Fuquan Edwin (JR), Seton Hall - 24.30 PER (played 1,908 mins over 2 years before this season.)
8.) Bryce Cotton (JR), Providence - 24.18 PER (played 1,707 mins over 2 years before this season.)
9.) Talib Zanna (JR), Pitt - 23.32 PER (played 1.070 mins over 2 years before this season.)
10.) Myles Mack (SO), Rutgers - 23.26 PER (played 850 mins over 1 year before this season.)
11.) Steven Adams (FR), Pitt - 23.21 PER (first year FR)
12.) Michael Carter-Williams (SO), SU - 22.85 PER (played 269 mins over 1 year before this season.)

So, with the exception of Steven Adams of Pitt (who is ranked #11 as a first-year Freshman), Carter-Williams is the next highest player (by PER) in the Big East who is just earning significant playing time this year.

If you can't be impressed by that, then I don't know what your expectations are.

Last night was a perfect example of why no player should downgrade their opponent before a big game, and why coaches usually demand that players don't make such remarks. Gives an incentive to your opponent (locker room material), and, most times, makes the player shooting his mouth off look like an idiot. After his and the team's effort last night, MCW looks like a loud-mouth in a Lord & Taylor bathrobe, whose mouth overloaded his a$$. I hope it's a lesson learned for MCW.

As a coach I wouldn't want my players making comments like his, however Georgetown was already fired up and ready to go. I doubt JT3 decided to change the gameplan after hearing the comments. I doubt Porter decided he would try harder to score 33 points after his comments. The only thing the comments showed me is that MCW's top priority isn't focusing on playing.

He is one of the most frustrating players I can remember playing for SU. He obviously has a ton of talent and has shown it throughout the year, but he also doesn't seem to consistently make the best decisions on or off the court. Before someone points out his 3.3 GPA, I am not saying he isn't intelligent he just seems like a classic example of someone being book smart, but lacking in the common sense department. Half the time I find myself hoping he stays another year and half the time I find myself hoping he declares and leaves for the NBA at halftime!

Good post. And that was me who made the comment about the MCW shots/chance of winning.

I still stand by it though. MCW had a few boneheaded plays late (caught in the air, backwards passes, as did Triche. Seriously, what are some of these passes?) but he had some great steals and finishes and tried to get something going.

Again, give me 6 shots from him over 17 any day. The catch? Someone else needs to make baskets.

In reference to the bolded portion, check this out.

While MCW did have 3 turnovers yesterday, Syracuse as a team had 16 total turnovers!

Since the point guard usually handles the ball most often, and is usually tasked with running the offense/passing & dribbling the ball, you'd imagine that the point guard would have the most turnovers of anyone on the team.

This is true for Georgetown yesterday: Markel Starks, their point guard, had tied for most turnovers on team with 3 yesterday...which represents 27% of the 11 total turnovers Georgetown had in the game.

BUT, for Syracuse, Michael Carter-Williams' 3 turnovers represents only 19%. A much lower total than the other team's point guard. (In total, Triche had the most with 4, and MCW was tied for second-most with CJ Fair & RAK, all with 3 turnovers.)

Seriously...how did CJ Fair & RAK both have 3 turnovers? How did they even have the ball enough (especially RAK) to even have that many?

In reference to the bolded portion, check this out.

While MCW did havd 3 turnovers yesterday, Syracuse as a team had 16 total turnovers!

Since the point guard usually handles the ball most often, and is usually tasked with running the offense/passing & dribbling the ball, you'd imagine that the point guard would have the most turnovers of anyone on the team.

This is true for Georgetown yesterday: Marquel Starks, their point guard, had tied for most turnovers on team with 3 yesterday...which represents 27% of the 11 total turnovers Georgetown had in the game.

BUT, for Syracuse, Michael Carter-Williams' 3 turnovers represents only 19%. A much lower total than the other team's point guard.

Seriously...how did CJ Fair & RAK both have 3 turnovers? How did they even have the ball enough (especially RAK) to even have that many?

Correct, good analysis. Two of them were on the plays I was referring to when he got caught in the air trying to make a play.

I'm guessing they charged Rak with a turnover on the pass he fumbled out of bounds on the alley oop? And the offensive foul on the screen?

Yeah, wasn't trying to call you out or anything (I seriously didn't remember who said what I quoted), but I do somewhat agree with it as well. In a perfect world, I do not want him putting up double-digit shot attempts.

But on an un-related note, I've noticed how it seems like fans tend to get on the guys trying to make plays for themselves & especially others (when they are unsuccessful) more than guys who simply look for their own shots or don't try to make anything happen but the safe play/pass. And most often, this person is a guard (especially the point guard).

Honestly, I used to really get on Scoop for his boneheaded plays. And, now that I've really come to admire and appreciate MCW's play, seeing him come under the same type of criticism as Scoop did in years past, it has given me a new respect for Scoop. I can see a little more why Scoop thought he had to be "the man" his JR year, trying to make things happen & taking alot of shots. Playing with a lower-level talent (offensively at least) team, with young guys like Fab & even Dion out their learning on the court, Scoop looked to himself more than ever. I can now understand it a little more, with seeing how MCW trys to create offense himself...often purposefully dribbling to one area (to draw a teammate's defender into doubling him) and then passing to the open teammate he helped create, or at least attempting alley-oop lob passes (even when they are not 100% available) to, at the very least, remind the defense they can't keep cheating up to guard the outside...that they still must guard downlow in case of alley-oop attempts, etc.

It's funny how it comes about that you can gain perspective sometimes. And in posting what I do with the stats and stuff about this season, I guess I'm trying to bring about a little perspective to the board as best I can. (Especially about the ups & downs of having a, basically, first-year point guard leading the team & responsible for creating offense.)

In MCW's defense, who is he supposed to pass the ball to? Rak who catches the ball 50% of the time and finishes with it 10% of the time? Keita who catches the ball 0% of the time and finishes negative 25% of the time? Fair who can only finish going left? Triche who has reverted back to playing like Eeyore? Cooney the 20% from three sharpshooter? True freshman Jerami Grant? ...Southerland is his only legit option.
It's called a team. When you are the point guard you are helping the team to win. They are who they are and you have to try and make them that or better. As for getting it to Fair who can only finish left, he's only the guy who has had more double doubles than the guy who lit us up Saturday. The only consistent player on the team. JS being his only legit option is just wrong. If that were true we'd never lose a game.

What is the lesson to be learned -that he'll only be slightly poorer by falling a spot or two?

No matter what MCW does on the court, the flashes that he has shown added to his size equal multimillionaire status by this time next year. Do you honestly think he'll care about any of this, the robe, the bad games, etc?
If that were truly his attitude today, he shouln't even be on the floor.

My biggest issues with jimmy b, He's Played Zone for 35 years And Still doesn't have a Good offense for a Zone defense. Our offense in the second Half Was So stagnant
Exactly what will your offense be against the zone if you can't hit from the outside and your bigs are non-existent. That leaves CJ who because of the two facts mentioned had more defenders on him when he got the ball than fleas on a dog.