MCW Takes On Stephen A. Smith | Syracusefan.com

MCW Takes On Stephen A. Smith

Lesson One: the Press always gets the last word.
Lesson Two: Stephen A. Smith has more connections than any other writer/reporter out there covering the NBA. Of course he is a jackalope but the dude knows his shite.

Anyone ever see this...?

Steven A Smith can be seen on ESPN being a total loud mouth ass, and then an hour later speaking like a Rhodes scholar on Fox business channel. Total phony.

Squeezin' A. Spit has completely morphed into an imperious self righteous windbag and any semblance of likeability that he may have had at one time has long since left him. The only person with a favorable opinion of Smith seems to be Steven A. Smith. He's such a bada$$ saying he wants to throw down with MCW! Ha...Bring it on MCW and knock his Dic in the dirt. It's only a matter of time before Smith opens his mouth and says something that will cost him his job. It can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone ever see this...?

Steven A Smith can be seen on ESPN being a total loud mouth ass, and then an hour later speaking like a Rhodes scholar on Fox business channel. Total phony.

Some folks would consider those useful abilities. What bothers me is folks don't pay attention to how the media uses similar tactics in non-sports related issues that directly effect their lives. As for Smith and when he was suspended, he echoed the opinion of a portion of folks, but the press isn't free enough to allow such things in America as it once was. He's playing the bad guy wrestler and may help ratings with his antics. Some folks don't mind playing bad guy wrestler at times. Andy Kaufman became immortal doing it.

MCW seems very thoughtful and well-spoken. He may not have graduated, yet seems to have a better grasp on reality than most folks his age and many folks in general. I'm proud to have him representing SU in the NBA.

Hanging around Skip Bayless hasn't helped him one bit. It wouldn't help anyone.

Jason Whitlock refers to him as "the black beard paid to mask Skip Bayless‘ blatant negro-baiting."

Lesson One: the Press always gets the last word.
Lesson Two: Stephen A. Smith has more connections than any other writer/reporter out there covering the NBA. Of course he is a jackalope but the dude knows his shite.

Yeah, I can't stand listening to him, but this is David and Goliath and when you play for a team that's won 15% of it's games since you've been in the league, you don't have much leverage built up.

Did Stephen A. Smith even read what MCW wrote? Didn't seem to be worthy of any response. Essentially said he was going to do everything in his power to make sure the Sixers weren't in the position of drawing the media's attention as a result of an NBA record losing streak this season.

Did Stephen A. Smith even read what MCW wrote? Didn't seem to be worthy of any response. Essentially said he was going to do everything in his power to make sure the Sixers weren't in the position of drawing the media's attention as a result of an NBA record losing streak this season.

And what he said about Smith is accurate he is playing a part for media ratings and hits. This is fairly obvious as his shtick has only amplified over time. What MCW stated was the obvious truth about the media although his point about tanking isn't quite as true. While I believe that he and the players aren't tanking the organization seems to be and who knows what the coaching staff is doing or being instructed to do by the front office guys.

This is how Stephen A. (we all know what the A stands for) stays relevant he says controversial stuff and people get pissed and they respond. Like I said before its all about the clicks this is todays media. We live in a TMZ media world today or theatrical reporting as I like to call it.

did you read his rant how the NFL is trying to link patriotism to NFL football and he thinks it is all just a marketing ploy? He is a total jackass

Well, he may have a point there. If nothing else, he brings things to the table that nobody else has the courage too. I didnt even remember this clown til this thread(i just watch what I watch online), but other than his tough guy talk at MCW, Ive come to respect him more when I learned in the last 12 ho about some of the less than popular things he's otherwise said. From what little I know of the guy, it sounds like he is willing to speak his mind whether it's politically correct or not. For that alone I will have some respect for a person even if it makes me less popular.

That said, I'm with MCW on this particular incident, and think Mr Smith went a bit overboard with a couple of things he said, but if you listen to the clip below you will see that what he actually said wasn't as bad as what some were making it out to be.

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnba/...d-michael-carter-williams-about-attacking-him

Last edited:
This is how Stephen A. (we all know what the A stands for) stays relevant he says controversial stuff and people get pissed and they respond. Like I said before its all about the clicks this is todays media. We live in a TMZ media world today or theatrical reporting as I like to call it.

The funny thing is, I've listened to his radio program before to kill time during drives, and he has a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT demeanor as the host of his own show. Very thoughtful and much less argumentative, and he actually has some good discussions with guests / callers without being bombastic. The behavior on ESPN is entirely an act, to draw out the responses you specify.

I'm not defending Stephen A. Smith, who I'm not really a fan of, just pointing out that his on-air television behavior is mostly schtick.

I think he is exaggerated most times, it is entertainment. As for MCW and the rest of the team should feel that most folks think they are tanking. But that is not their fault. The problem is the roster is full of injured rookies and guys with 2 or 3 yrs of experience. I am not an NBA guy, but it is clear that there are D league teams that likely have as much experience. They are setup to win like Cleveland in Major League.

The funny thing is, I've listened to his radio program before to kill time during drives, and he has a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT demeanor as the host of his own show. Very thoughtful and much less argumentative, and he actually has some good discussions with guests / callers without being bombastic. The behavior on ESPN is entirely an act, to draw out the responses you specify.

I'm not defending Stephen A. Smith, who I'm not really a fan of, just pointing out that his on-air television behavior is mostly schtick.
as I said theatrical reporting that is what these tv personalities do

ESPN has been a joke for some time, I cannot take it seriously anymore. Other than broadcasts of actual games, they are dead to me. Daniel Tosh recently did a great parody of the joke that ESPN has become...

As for Smith, I haven't been able to take him seriously since he suggested on the Sports Reporters that the Jets should have tried a game winning field goal attempt on third down, because if they missed, they could always try the field goal again on fourth down (that he still had a job as a sports pundit after that remark is sad). But seeing this rant of his, what an entitled, egotistical scumbag. What are you gonna do little Stevie, go out of your way to slander Carter-Williams because he dared to call you out? If ever there was an obvious example of the truth hurting, this is it. He embodies everything that is wrong with modern day media. Big kudos to MCW for speaking the truth about this bozo.

Great job MCW. Any reasonable person would read the article and come away thinking MCW is intelligent and SAS is a reactionary loudmouth. It's great to see Smith getting his soundbite used against him in the same way he uses soundbites against athletes. That's karma b*tch.

MCW has a point about the media too and I see why SAS was pissed. MCW said SAS walks into the locker room smiling when they're losing and he has a story, but doesn't show up after they win. Aren't those the kind of people we warn our kids about as they grow up? They'll be nice when they need something from you and gone when they don't. MCW deftly called him out in particular as a scumbag, that's why there was an emotional reaction. However, a man should never raise his voice first, especially when dealing with someone younger (the person in control must stay level). SAS has showed no class throughout this little incident. If MCW does not respond or responds with class, he will "win".