MCW & THE NBA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW & THE NBA

MCW is just to weak to be a lottery player,besides he spends his free time reading this board.

The kid needs to hit the weights hard or he will be spending his time in the D-league.

Seasoned point guards in the NBA would eat him up at both ends of the court.How many times in the last few games has he lost his footing and the ball driving down the mi8ddle the last few games...ALL-AMERICANS are not supposed to do this a few times a game when it's on the line

I don't doubt he would be drafted. I doubt he's a lottery pick. If I'm a GM of an NBA team bad enough to be drafting in the lottery I'm not drafting a PG on potential. It is much different drafting a big man on potential.

Ricky Rubio.

Obvious talent, but that was a potential pick. He can't shoot and turns it over too much and has a lot to refine, but his court vision is incredible.

But they were all better players at the college level...at least to this point in MCW's career, hopefully he can change that in the next 2+ months.

Exactly! Last year we wanted Dion to take over down the stretch. Look at what happened down the stretch today with MCW controlling the ball.

I never said he didn't have NBA potential or wouldn't even thrive there, BUT what do people see right now that makes him a lottery pick?? The constant answer is potential. Donte Green had LOADS of it at Syracuse as well...

MCW is frustrating as all get out to watch now at times, but the guy is scratching the surface of what he'll be as a basketball player. Some NBA team will benefit from that.

There aren't a lot of guys his size that can distribute and cause turnovers as well as he can. Guys can learn to shoot and play a measured style that cuts down on turnovers. They don't generally learn how to be great distributors or how to get steals.

If his buzz is still high at the end of the season it's in his best interests to go. This myth of "stay to work on your game" almost NEVER improves draft position.

Dude can't go left. That will be exposed at the next level. It's beginning to be exposed at this one. Let him drive left, don't let him pass out of it.

He'll still go lottery. Nature of the beast. Wouldn't surprise me to see him sent to the D-League his rookie year like Marshall from UNC.

This has gone way too far...

OK, you forced me to do it:

MCW played all of 269 mins last year. So while this is his 2nd year here, it's pretty much his 1st as a starter. And here are his numbers (not including this game...Points Per Game, Assists, Rebounds, Steals, Turnovers, FG %, FT %, 3 PT %)

MCW (12-13, SOPH YR) - 33.6 MPG, 12.3 PPG, 9.2 APG, 4.8 RPG, 3.1 SPG, 3.8 TPG, 376%, 729%, 282%

Other highly drafted PGs with similar experience (1-3 years in college):

Kendall Marshall (11-12, SOPH YR*) - 33.0 MPG, 8.1 PPG, 9.8 APG, 2.6 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 2.8 TPG, 467%, 696%, 354% Drafted #13 overall in 2012 Draft.

* But note, these are #s from his second year (1188 mins played that year), while he also played 912 mins the year before.

Marquis Teague (11-12, FR YR) - 32 MPG, 10.0 PPG, 4.8 APG, 2.5 RPG, 0.9 SPG, 2.7 TPG, 412%, 714%, 325% Drafted #29 overall in 2012 Draft.

Johnny Flynn (08-09, SOPH YR*) - 37.3 MPG, 17.4 PPG, 6.7 APG, 2.7 RPG, 1.4 SPG, 3.4 TPG, 460%, 786%, 317% Drafted #6 overall 2009 Draft.

* But note, these are #s from his second year (1418 mins played that year), while he also played 1243 mins year before.

Ty Lawson (08-09 JR YR*) - 29.9 MPG, 16.6 PPG, 6.6 APG, 3.0 RPG, 2.1 SPG, 1.9 TPG, 532%, 798%, 472% Drafted #18 overall in 2009 Draft.

* But note, these are #s from his third year (1048 mins played that year), while he also played 810 mins year before, and 977 mins year before that.

John Wall (09-10, FR YR) - 34.8 MPG, 16.6 PPG, 6.5 APG, 4.3 RPG, 1.8 SPG, 4.0 TPG, 461%, 754%, 325% Drafted #1 overall 2010 Draft.

Jeff Teague (08-09, SOPH YR*) - 32.0 MPG, 18.8 PPG, 3.5 APG, 3.3 RPG, 1.9 SPG, 3.4 TPG, 485%, 817%, 441% Drafted #19 overall 2009 Draft.

* But note, these are #s from his 2nd year (991 mins played that year), while he also played 892 mins the year before.

Russell Westbrook (07-08, SOPH YR*) - 33.8 MPG, 12.7 PPG, 4.3 APG, 3.9 RPG, 1.6 SPG, 2.5 TPG, 465%, 713%, 338% Drafted #4 overall 2008 Draft.

* Maybe best comparison to MCW, as Westbrook only played in 325 mins the year before (played 1318 his SOPH year).

Derrick Rose (07-08, FR YR) - 29.2 MPG, 14.9 PPG, 4.7 APG, 4.5 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 2.7 TPG, 477%, 712%, 337% Drafted #1 overall 2008 Draft.

I'm enjoying his play while he is here. Does he need to get better, absolutely, but this kid can make plays others can not. The NBA drafts most young players on potential. For me, it would be awesome if he comes back. His return and no early defections would probably make SU a favorite for the NCAA title. This year SU may win it all, we'll certainly be in the mix barring injuries or other issues that cost us players.

Good numbers, hard to argue. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I just don't see it right now. No matter what Jimmy B tells me, I don't think Triche is a NBA 1st round pick right now. And if you ask who I went to have the ball down the stretch for this team, it is B Triche. Last year I wanted us to get it to Dion when it was crunch time.

So basically, MCW has the highest Rebounds per game average, the 2nd highest steals per game average (only to John Wall), and, most importantly, the 2nd highest assists per game average of the group. (And a pretty star-studded group it is.)

And take a look especially at what he has had to work with these past few games without Southerland in the lineup...who on the team can create their own shot in the least? 2 players? (Triche & Fair)

Besides Triche and Fair, you have a pretty talented freshman (who has actually done well, to his credit) in Grant, but he's not exactly Carmelo either.

Christmas? Cooney? Coleman? Don't even get me started on the offensive abilities of Keita. Is it any wonder he's taking so many shots recently?

(Especially if you think about some of the players the guys drafted above had to play with...Tyler Hansbrough, Harrison Barnes, Anthony Davis, Kevin Love, DeMarcus Cousins, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb...some serious talent. And MCW's assists totals are still higher.)

These are the ups & downs you deal with when you rely on a first-year starting PG with an inexperienced supporting cast. Myself personally, I'm perfectly fine with it for now. I know the team will be better for it come March.

So basically, MCW has the highest Rebounds per game average, the 2nd highest steals per game average (only to John Wall), and, most importantly, the 2nd highest assists per game average of the group. (And a pretty star-studded group it is.)

And take a look especially at what he has had to work with these past few games without Southerland in the lineup...who on the team can create their own shot in the least? 2 players? (Triche & Fair)

Besides Triche and Fair, you have a pretty talented freshman (who has actually done well, to his credit) in Grant, but he's not exactly Carmelo either.

Christmas? Cooney? Coleman? Don't even get me started on the offensive abilities of Keita. Is it any wonder he's taking so many shots recently?

(Especially if you think about some of the players the guys drafted above had to play with...Tyler Hansbrough, Harrison Barnes, Anthony Davis, Kevin Love, DeMarcus Cousins, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb...some serious talent. And MCW's assists totals are still higher.)

These are the ups & downs you deal with when you rely on a first-year starting PG with an inexperienced supporting cast. Myself personally, I'm perfectly fine with it for now. I know the team will be better for it come March.

I hope you're right. I just don't see it right now. Nothing I've seen suggests MCW is getting better. I think his ball handling and passing has looked worse as the competition has gotten better. I also have been disappointed in his scoring ability. 17 shots, 14 FTs, 16 points. You bashed the talent level he is playing with, but what does it say when the majority of the people here were outraged Triche didn't have the ball down the stretch?

I can tell you this, a team in need of a young point guard like the Utah Jazz would be thrilled to pick up a guy like MCW.

The other thing people need to keep in mind - NBA folks seem to be treating the D-League as a legitimate developmental league for prospects they're willing to draft and develop. This is a good thing.

The NBA use to draft players on what they did. Now many are drafted on what their potential could be. MCW is seen as having great potential. He doesn't have to even play another game at the college level. (that's even why Xmas and DC were rumored to be going early. But neither of the latter has anywhere the same potential as MCW).

Half the board takes every opportunity possible to bash the NBA, call it 'thugball' with no D and say they haven't watched it in years, but at the same time have the ability to properly evaluate a college player's game and proclaim they aren't anywhere near ready. Cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom