MCW was huge today | Syracusefan.com

MCW was huge today

OrangeOnions

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
I know we don't win without James and his marksmanship, but I was impressed by MCW down the stretch. He showed some serious maturity and skill. Clutch free throws, a big 3, good decision making and the steal at the end. Good for him. Need more of this tomorrow for some sweet revenge. Go Orange!!!

Yes, mucho thanks and a tip of the hat to MCW. All is forgiven for the jump up / no place to pass/ throw it to the other team move that he pulled early in the 2nd half. God that drives me nuts. I suppose you have to take the good with the bad and today there was a lot more good than bad.
I was most concerned about the fact that our bigs pretty much were non existent when it came to rebounds much less scoring. I was almost hoping to see Coleman get a chance to come in and snag a few caroms just for sheets and giggles.

his turnover with about a minute left up 6 that led to a 3 pt play by pitt almost cost us the game. but he came up clutch at the line so all is forgiven.

Yep. And we needed every bit of it, because BT pretty much wilted.

It drives me crazy when he leave his feet with know one to pass too. He did finish well today.

his turnover with about a minute left up 6 that led to a 3 pt play by pitt almost cost us the game. but he came up clutch at the line so all is forgiven.

From the Play-by-play log (everything MCW did & all Cuse scores)

Starting at 10 mins left in game:

8:17 MCW made 3 pt shot (assist Cooney)

7:23 MCW def rebound

7:09 Fair layup

5:33 Southerland made 3pt shot (assist MCW)

5:16 MCW steal

4:52 MCW turnover

3:47 MCW made free throw

3:47 MCW missed free throw

2:18 MCW made layup

1:20 MCW turnover

:32 MCW made free throw

:16 MCW steal

:10 MCW made free throw

Results (Last 10 mins of game):

MCW: 10 pts (2-2 FG, 1-1 3PT, 5-6 FT), 1 assist, 2 rebounds, 2 steals & 2 turnovers. Also, scored 10 of the 15 points SU scored in last 10 mins. (And assisted on 3 of the other 5.)

But, yeah, thank god "all is forgiven" for that turnover. :rolleyes:

(People must really just remember the negative plays that happen, I'm convinced of it!)

He giveth and taketh away against good teams. He needs to stop making foolish turnovers - most were not due to great defense. Great job nailing those ft's at the end!

MCW: 10 pts (2-2 FG, 1-1 3PT, 5-6 FT), 1 assist, 2 rebounds, 2 steals & 2 turnovers. Also, scored 10 of the 15 points SU scored in last 10 mins. (And assisted on 3 of the other 5.)

(People must really just remember the negative plays that happen, I'm convinced of it!)

he was clutch but he's gotta be smarter in crunch time. I know I just contradicted myself haha, but he did the exact same thing against nova, up 6 with the ball and he turns it over that leads to a fast break 3 point play. you go from up 6 with the ball and a chance to ice the game to up 3 in 5 seconds.

it's getting laughable. just think though if we had with James Theus we would have won by 6 not 3. chew on that

holy some of these post. people he is a pg who a lot is forced upon. do you expect perfection every time out? he is a pg he handles it every play there is going to be some turnovers every game. live with it. think back to a syracuse pg there hasn't been complaints about. he played great today. he has been playing great, especially the past month. give the kid a break

MCW has been a major reason that our offense has been more functional the last two days. He is moving guys into the right spots (you can see him directing traffic in the half-court) and getting them the ball once they are there. He has also been more patient in his attack, which seems to have rubbed off on the other players, too. Of course, the guys making shots doesn't hurt...

Would love nothing more than to be wrong and witness a Melo-like "I'm taking over" 3 weeks occur for this young man and his teammates.

Life lobs chances to be siezed...

His shortcomings of driving the lane and not knowing what to do with the ball are inexperience. He has an assistant coach who used to do that and can help him to learn. Autry turned out to be a pretty good player. :)

I know we don't win without James and his marksmanship, but I was impressed by MCW down the stretch. He showed some serious maturity and skill. Clutch free throws, a big 3, good decision making and the steal at the end. Good for him. Need more of this tomorrow for some sweet revenge. Go Orange!!!
He made the five most important plays of the game. His three. His floater, twice 2-2 from the line and the steal. EOD.

I'd been put off by him as the season progressed but he's played well so far in ny. Much more conservative with his shot selection and he's done a good job being a point guard.

Mike played a strong game today. Of course there were mistakes (it wasn't a "great" performance), but he's improving. Most of the turnovers were a result of poor execution, not poor decision-making (though we stagnated at the beginning of the second half as he faltered bit).

I think he's communicating a lot better in these two games. Playing a lot more like a point guard. Looking forward to seeing what he brings tomorrow night.

MCW has been a major reason that our offense has been more functional the last two days. He is moving guys into the right spots (you can see him directing traffic in the half-court) and getting them the ball once they are there. He has also been more patient in his attack, which seems to have rubbed off on the other players, too. Of course, the guys making shots doesn't hurt...
Stop trying to make sense coach. Negativity rules on this board ;)

i thought his best play was when he actually pulled it out on the break he had after the steal at the end.....earlier in the season he goes straight to the basket and who knows what happens up 3 like that

holy some of these post. people he is a pg who a lot is forced upon. do you expect perfection every time out? he is a pg he handles it every play there is going to be some turnovers every game. live with it. think back to a syracuse pg there hasn't been complaints about. he played great today. he has been playing great, especially the past month. give the kid a break

Half of these people would find fault for a 14 assist, 1 turnover game... Oh wait, they already did...

And then we have posts where they say Triche and Southerland played essentially perfect games. It is amazing that MCW doesn't get the same credit. He is the one that is making Syracuse go in this tourney, but Southerland has gotten all the attention because of his magnificent shooting - which has been set up by MCW.