MD needs an MD | Syracusefan.com

MD needs an MD

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
ZERO shot attempts in over 20 minutes of game play? He also gets out muscled several times a game for loose balls . Weird that he was winning these battles earlier in the year against not so stiff competition.

He's pretty much unplayable now and I figured it was his play down the stretch that would determine this team's fate. We needed another contributor to take some pressure off the big three. This guy has come out down the stretch and dropped the wrong kind of deuces all over the court.

I was never expecting him to start scoring points in bushels but hell's bells dude, maybe register a shot attempt against a not so physical BC team? Maybe dont freeze like a deer in headlights at duke.. maybe win a 50 /50 ball more than 1/10?

MD..I do NOT salute you..and that's about as nice as I can be right now.

ZERO shot attempts in over 20 minutes of game play? He also gets out muscled several times a game for loose balls . Weird that he was winning these battles earlier in the year against not so stiff competition.

He's pretty much unplayable now and I figured it was his play down the stretch that would determine this team's fate. We needed another contributor to take some pressure off the big three. This guy has come out down the stretch and dropped the wrong kind of deuces all over the court.

I was never expecting him to start scoring points in bushels but hell's bells dude, maybe register a shot attempt against a not so physical BC team? Maybe dont freeze like a deer in headlights at duke.. maybe win a 50 /50 ball more than 1/10?

MD..I do NOT salute you..and that's about as nice as I can be right now.
I was so encouraged after the Miami game that this guy would be a key piece to our stretch run. WHAT HAPPENED? I was screaming at him last night. He looked like the kid in youth sports that you were required to play 3 minutes. He was terrified to have the ball in his hands immediately looking to pass the ball back out front. Really disappointing.

I think we reap what we sow. We lament having three guys who score when the problem is we have three anointed scorers, and three kids who got yanked if they missed shots. Washington knew his minutes were limited and didn't care so he shot anyway. Marek and Matt learned quick you can't miss if you don't take and don't get yanked for not shooting. Now we get on them for not shooting. Not sure it helps kids who were always scorers develop into role players.

He needs multiple years development. I understand the love fest on this board for the kid but right now he’s just not good.

He’s up and down. There’s clearly something there. But yeah, he’s got a lot of work to do. Still think he’ll be a good player as an upperclassman.

Like Moyer, on 95% of the Syracuse teams I’ve watched in my lifetime, he wouldn’t be a guy who gets any meaningful PT as a freshman. Maybe even 100% of the teams before this one.

I think we reap what we sow. We lament having three guys who score when the problem is we have three anointed scorers, and three kids who got yanked if they missed shots. Washington knew his minutes were limited and didn't care so he shot anyway. Marek and Matt learned quick you can't miss if you don't take and don't get yanked for not shooting. Now we get on them for not shooting. Not sure it helps kids who were always scorers develop into role players.

This is so true.

Scouting SU's offense must be so easy. "Look, they only have 3 guys who are allowed to shoot, everyone else in the rotation is immediately yanked if they miss a shot. So let's just make sure we guard the only 3 guys who are allowed to participate in the offense."

JB yanks them for defensive lapses, not really at all for offensive mistakes. Moyer sometimes gets pulled for his dribbling-to-nowhere fests, but that’s it. Marek barely shoots. JB wants him to try to create something and has urged him to do so.

Moyer and Dolezaj are essentially space eaters on offense at this point. Dolezaj hit some nice shots at Miami. Why does he act like a little kid caught with a hand in the cookie jar whenever he gets the ball? They're both athletic enough, but I don't think either one is skilled enough to be capable to put the ball on the floor and drive. If they could do that, this Syracuse team would be dunking 20 times a game. MM and MD seem unable to do anything on offense besides catching a pass on a jump stop, turning around away from the basket, and looking for someone to hand the ball off to.

Are there any minutes for him next year. If Hughes has been practicing at forward and Brissett and Bazely are starters where do Moyer and MD fit?

Moyer and Dolezaj are essentially space eaters on offense at this point. Dolezaj hit some nice shots at Miami. Why does he act like a little kid caught with a hand in the cookie jar whenever he gets the ball? They're both athletic enough, but I don't think either one is skilled enough to be capable to put the ball on the floor and drive. If they could do that, this Syracuse team would be dunking 20 times a game. MM and MD seem unable to do anything on offense besides catching a pass on a jump stop, turning around away from the basket, and looking for someone to hand the ball off to.
Ha! Reminds me of when I'd get into a pickup game at Archbold Gym that was over my head. My goal was just to get rid of the ball cleanly. :)