MEAC Tourney | Syracusefan.com

MEAC Tourney

Marsh01

Living Legend
You gotta feel for those kids at Norfolk St. They take down the regular season and it's all for nought. They should just cancel the regular seasons in those leagues.

You gotta feel for those kids at Norfolk St. They take down the regular season and it's all for nought. They should just cancel the regular seasons in those leagues.

They went undefeated in conference! This is the same program that beat Missouri in the 2-15 game last season of the NCAA's.

in these leagues they should give the regular season champ a bye to the championship game.

Well the 5-6-7-8 seeds advance to the semi's. one play in game is now solidified. Liberty vs the winner of this tournament for a 16 seed to play either Indiana or Duke.

Well the 5-6-7-8 seeds advance to the semi's. one play in game is now solidified. Liberty vs the winner of this tournament for a 16 seed to play either Indiana or Duke.

That is almost comical. The only part of the NCAA's I don't like. Some teams sneaking in with losing records by winning a couple of games at the end of the year.. Shouldn't happen.

Same thing going on in the WAC. Top 2 seeds both lost in the quarter finals. New Mexico St is the 3 seed and is now in control of the bid. La Tech was a cinch and a 13 on the matrix. Good for BCS teams that want a higher seed.

Louisiana Tech 16-2 -- 26-5
Denver 16-2 -- 21-9

Talk about us collapsing at the end of the season, look at Louisiana Tech! Lost three straight after winning previous 18 games.

That is almost comical. The only part of the NCAA's I don't like. Some teams sneaking in with losing records by winning a couple of games at the end of the year.. Shouldn't happen.
carl-spackler1.jpg

Whatsamatta? You don't like Cinderella stories?

The leagues could also reward their auto bid to the regular season champ.

The leagues could also reward their auto bid to the regular season champ.

They could, but they would have to cancel the conference tournament. And leagues have no interest in doing that.

You could choose to not have a conference tourney, but if you do, its winner must be your representative.

At least the auto bid to the NIT in these situations is something for the teams to look forward to.

this is why I laugh when people say a 1 seed will lose to a 16, I just don't see it happening when teams sneak in all the time in these conference tourney games

think I saw the other day that there are already like 8-9 bids to the NIT taken, aka lots of regular season champs losing in their conference tourneys

Why do these small conferences even bother with a tourney?

No one ever goes to them (it seems to me), and it consistently punishes the best team in the league.

Look at the WCC. That league was very low profile until Gonzaga broke through 10-15 years ago. Once they won some games in the tourney and developed some consistency, they raised the profile of the whole league. Wouldn't these smaller conferences want to give themselves the best chance they could have to win a game? Wouldn't you want your league's best team in the tournament?

Winning NCAA games helps the whole league, I don't get why you would handicap yourself for no reason.

You can still have a conference tourney and award the auto bid to the regular season champ
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/78096/down-with-the-conference-tournament[/quote]

Where does he state it is the conference's choice? He just argues how it would improve things. From mt understanding, the NCAA would need to change its rules to give the conference a choice in the matter (if you elect to have a tourney)

Anyway I will research it, as I heard completely differently in the past, and Brennan's article really does not provide any clarity

EDIT - Brennan stated it clearly that the conference had power. (so no lack of clarity). I am not 100% convinced he is right.

No one ever goes to them (it seems to me), and it consistently punishes the best team in the league.

Look at the WCC. That league was very low profile until Gonzaga broke through 10-15 years ago. Once they won some games in the tourney and developed some consistency, they raised the profile of the whole league. Wouldn't these smaller conferences want to give themselves the best chance they could have to win a game? Wouldn't you want your league's best team in the tournament?

Winning NCAA games helps the whole league, I don't get why you would handicap yourself for no reason.

The Southland Conference tourney is held at the Merrell Center in Katy, TX which is right down the road from me (shares the parking lot with my kid's high school). The parking lot always looks packed during the games. I believe the center only holds about 7,000 people.

I would love to see a smaller school like Middle Tennessee State (28-5) get an at large bid after losing their conference tourney vs some 20-12 mid pack BCS at large team.

Of course that would likely put them as a 12 seed and against us at the 5 seed in the first round so maybe not.

Well, I am going to take Brennan's word for it. Can't find anything to prove what I heard. I do find it odd that if it truly is the conference choice, not one conference has done it.

So a few years ago when Cuse only made the NCAA by winning the BET by your logic we should not have gotten in!

Another prime example is the Big South Conference tournament, won by the 15-20 Liberty Flames.
It certainly adds a lot of excitement to the tournament, but if you were the Big South Commissioner, would you really want your league represented on the national stage by a team with 20 losses?

So a few years ago when Cuse only made the NCAA by winning the BET by your logic we should not have gotten in!

If there was still a conference tourney (but no auto bid for winning it), we would have got in as an at-large. Those games would still have counted in terms of improving our resume.

They make money off the post season tourney that's why they have it. People bitch at the NCAA whenever a regular season winner gets knocked off in the tourney and doesn't get a bid which goes to the winner, often a low seed. But it's not the NCAA's problem. The onus is on the conference. If they don't like it, they should change their tourney format to give the top seed a bigger advantage. Or they can chose to give the regular season winner the auto bid and pass on the tourney money (fat chance). Anyway, the answer is NOT to expand the NCAAT and let them both in.

Did we have a losing record? What was our record at the time...? If you are referring to 2006, we were 19-11 heading into the BE tournament where we won four straight against Cincy, Uconn, Gtown and Pitt. We were also 5-6 against top 25 teams that year. I was talking about teams getting in with near losing records and have played zero top 25 teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom