Mean guys | Syracusefan.com

Mean guys

B

Brooky03

This is what this team was missing. We didn't have any, for lack of a better word, a$$holes and it hurt us.

Hopefully Kaleb Joseph and McCullough will have mean streaks on the court, because watching nice guys let opponents impose their will, is a little tiring. I don't want dirty players or anything like that, but not all of Devendorf's on-court qualities were bad.

That's it. I look forward to next year and I hope we can find some outside shooting. Boeheim should leave the race for SG wide open between the 4 candidates but I'm not too hopeful in this regard.

This is what this team was missing. We didn't have any, for lack of a better word, a$$holes and it hurt us.

Hopefully Kaleb Joseph and McCullough will have mean streaks on the court, because watching nice guys let opponents impose their will, is a little tiring. I don't want dirty players or anything like that, but not all of Devendorf's on-court qualities were bad.

That's it. I look forward to next year and I hope we can find some outside shooting. Boeheim should leave the race for SG wide open between the 4 candidates but I'm not too hopeful in this regard.
nah, but an intense personality or two who is more of a vocal leader with more killer instinct would have been helpful. Maybe thats what you meant.

nah, but an intense personality or two who is more of a vocal leader with more killer instinct would have been helpful. Maybe thats what you meant.

Pretty much. I like 'mean', though. Basically, I want a player who opponents will hate with a passion.

Personality has, to a first approximation, nothing to do with results in basketball. Teams with a lot of intense players lose, and their fans say, we need less intense players so that we don't over-react to things and keep our cool. Teams with less outwardly intense players lose, and make your post.

DC2 got some nasty in him, if he could stay healthy. His energy lifts the team and the crowd from their seats.

Personality has, to a first approximation, nothing to do with results in basketball. Teams with a lot of intense players lose, and their fans say, we need less intense players so that we don't over-react to things and keep our cool. Teams with less outwardly intense players lose, and make your post.
yeah ok. Striking a balance with a combination of the two is what you hope for. It's called a good balance. Error on the side of heady in control players sure but you need a good vocal leader for when the wheels are coming off, like the last month or so.

yeah ok. Striking a balance with a combination of the two is what you hope for. It's called a good balance. Error on the side of heady in control players sure but you need a good vocal leader for when the wheels are coming off, like the last month or so.

I guess I don't think the wheels came off, so much as we reverted to the mean. Syracuse was about as good as its record, it just happened to get a lot of good luck early in the season. (And I tried to suggest as much when we're 20+ and 0, which was not popular).

Everyone hated Eric devendorf. He was vocal. That didn't make Syracuse a good team. The skill matters an order of magnitude more than the personality.

I disagree. I don't want a team of jerks, but I want some guys who have some sort of an intimidation factor. Look at some of our most successful teams, they had dudes that got intense when it called for it. And that's not revisionist history.

I disagree. I don't want a team of jerks, but I want some guys who have some sort of an intimidation factor. Look at some of our most successful teams, they had dudes that got intense when it called for it. And no, that's not revisionist history.

Who was that guy on last years team? Or the championship team? Or the 09-10 team? Or the 96 team?

I guess I don't think the wheels came off, so much as we reverted to the mean. Syracuse was about as good as its record, it just happened to get a lot of good luck early in the season. (And I tried to suggest as much when we're 20+ and 0, which was not popular).

Everyone hated Eric devendorf. He was vocal. That didn't make Syracuse a good team. The skill matters an order of magnitude more than the personality.
2-5 to finish the season with a first round conference tourney out suggests the wheels are falling off, devo was a douch e with a good jumper who had ZERO leadership skills. They needed something more within the team at seasons end.

Last edited:
Who was that guy on last years team? Or the championship team? Or the 09-10 team? Or the 96 team?

Onuaku got straight up p*ssed at guys and Jackson wasn't a softy, so that covers the 09-10 team. I can't say I watched much of the '96 team live, but from stories I know that they weren't a smiley, happy-go-lucky bunch all of the time; they at least had 'swagger' if not meanness.

I wouldn't consider last year's team much more successful than this year's team. They got further in the Tourney thanks in large part to favorable matchups and MCW, who was more vocal and emotional than Ennis (not necessarily better).

Don't get me wrong, I like controlled, consistent players, but I miss guys who have major highs and major lows based on emotion and momentum.

Onuaku got straight up p*ssed at guys and Jackson wasn't a softy, so that covers the 09-10 team. I can't say I watched much of the '96 team live, but from stories I know that they weren't a smiley, happy-go-lucky bunch all of the time; they at least had 'swagger' if not meanness.

I wouldn't consider last year's team much more successful than this year's team. They got further in the Tourney thanks in large part to favorable matchups and MCW, who was more vocal and emotional than Ennis (not necessarily better).

Don't get me wrong, I like controlled, consistent players, but I miss guys who have major highs and major lows based on emotion and momentum.

Color me skeptical that arinze onuaku is more of am "assho!e" than rakeem Christmas, for example, who is frequently pissed off on the court. (and both seem to be genuinely good guys off the court)

And the moxie of the 96 team, whatever that means, is really just what people say about teams that win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom