Meanwhile, Virginia continues to roll... | Syracusefan.com

Meanwhile, Virginia continues to roll...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
And, quite frankly, it continues to amaze me. I look at their players, and other than Hunter, who's a potential NBA player? Guy? No way, in my opinion, as he's not very athletic at all and he likely couldn't get his shot off consistency at that level.

You have to give Bennett a ton of credit though, as UVA has been ranked in the top 5 consistency now the past 3-4 years and have won consecutive ACC titles. It's a testament to playing a team sport completely together as one, as they seem to be the epitome of "team" in every aspect of the word.

You have to give Bennett a ton of credit though, as UVA has been ranked in the top 5 consistency now the past 3-4 years and have won consecutive ACC titles. .
Yup. And all that plus a dollar gets you a cup of coffee at McDonalds if you are a senior citizen.

And, quite frankly, it continues to amaze me. I look at their players, and other than Hunter, who's a potential NBA player? Guy? No way, in my opinion, as he's not very athletic at all and he likely couldn't get his shot off consistency at that level.

You have to give Bennett a ton of credit though, as UVA has been ranked in the top 5 consistency now the past 3-4 years and have won consecutive ACC titles. It's a testament to playing a team sport completely together as one, as they seem to be the epitome of "team" in every aspect of the word.
FYI, As the season began, Jerome was projected as a 1st round pick by at least one service, should he choose to make himself available. I think it is actually more than one such list, but I can't say for sure. Part of this was based on his play last year. Part had to do with his performances at the Chris Paul camp this summer. I am hopeful he returns for his degree next year, but I also expect him to test the waters.

Ton of credit? If we had their tourney resume over the last 5 years, this place would be in perpetual meltdown mode (much like it is already).

Love to see how much “credit” this place would give JB if we had been Virginia over the last five years.

Ton of credit? If we had their tourney resume over the last 5 years, this place would be in perpetual meltdown mode (much like it is already).

Love to see how much “credit” this place would give JB if we had been Virginia over the last five years.

When we were having great regular seasons with disappointing tournament finishes, people freaked out.

I think I’d rather have the great regular seasons. They make the winter go by faster. But if we cant’t have those, then tournament runs have made these last few poor seasons much more palatable.

Consistently high seeds with the inevitable early exit or two make for a bad combination in the age of social media, at least around here. Our UVA posters could tell us how it plays in their world.

No doubt there would be some disgruntled folks here, but I think all fans would be considerably disappointed due to being such a high seed and such lofty expectations. If one wasn't, then I'd say what she said, "I'm just not that in to you." ;)

But, just as JB stated in his presser after the UB loss, this team is the same team that lost 14 games last season, prior to that 3 game run in the tourney. And, that if ASU's very good shooter doesn't miss that wide open shot from the baseline in that play-in game, we don't get out of that round, and expectations would be much different heading into the season.

Expectations can be one of those 7 deadlies...as many have indicated, our mediocrity in the ACC the past five years is clearly weighing on the program and it certainly appears to have a stale feeling. For the most part, our relevance has focused on being a perennial bubble team and if we will make the tourney, vs. where we may end up, and being picked as a team that could actually do some damage vs. along the lines of, "wow! Syracuse is winning in the tourney, who would've thunk that!"

That seems to be our 'new normal,' at least since we have been in the ACC. Looking forward to our new normal being what we have been accustomed to over the years, being a regular season contender as well as being one thought of that can make a deep run in the tourney. Unless, we all as Syracuse diehards/fans, are willing to readjust our expectations in regards to SU hoops.

Consistently high seeds with the inevitable early exit or two make for a bad combination in the age of social media, at least around here. Our UVA posters could tell us how it plays in their world.

I live in Arkansas (ugh) so I don't get a ton of crap from people here about it. It gets brought up in every game we play (talking point) and it's the most commonly used flame/troll on message boards (how creative) but it's not really that big of a deal to me. There's nothing someone else could say that would make me feel worse about the loss than how I felt for the players. Plus, we're UVA so people don't care about us nationally as much as they do about other programs. That can be a good thing when you suffer a humiliating loss but can also be frustrating when you have an incredible accomplishment (like going 20-1 in the ACC last year).

I try to tell myself that if we keep earning good seeds, we'll break through in the tourney at some point. Maybe we will. Maybe we won't. It would be nice to be fully healthy when the tournament comes around for once too (trust me, I'm not using the Hunter injury as an excuse for losing to UMBC). The ONLY time that we have been fully healthy under Bennett was in 2016 and we went to the Elite 8. Not sure what happened in that game though. Stupid repressed memories :p

The best way I can put it is that it's nice to feel pain when it comes to basketball again. I was so "cavalier" about UVA basketball under Gillen and Leitao that it's nice to care again. Plus, you can't suffer a historic upset when you don't earn 1 seeds.

Last edited:
No doubt there would be some disgruntled folks here, but I think all fans would be considerably disappointed due to being such a high seed and such lofty expectations. If one wasn't, then I'd say what she said, "I'm just not that in to you." ;)

But, just as JB stated in his presser after the UB loss, this team is the same team that lost 14 games last season, prior to that 3 game run in the tourney. And, that if ASU's very good shooter doesn't miss that wide open shot from the baseline in that play-in game, we don't get out of that round, and expectations would be much different heading into the season.

Expectations can be one of those 7 deadlies...as many have indicated, our mediocrity in the ACC the past five years is clearly weighing on the program and it certainly appears to have a stale feeling. For the most part, our relevance has focused on being a perennial bubble team and if we will make the tourney, vs. where we may end up, and being picked as a team that could actually do some damage vs. along the lines of, "wow! Syracuse is winning in the tourney, who would've thunk that!"

That seems to be our 'new normal,' at least since we have been in the ACC. Looking forward to our new normal being what we have been accustomed to over the years, being a regular season contender as well as being one thought of that can make a deep run in the tourney. Unless, we all as Syracuse diehards/fans, are willing to readjust our expectations in regards to SU hoops.

I mean we are 1-0 in the ACC. We could still have a good season in conference . I don’t get the poo-Pooh after we win, but I shouldn’t be surprised as we usually disagree on everything.

Cue the Jon Rothstein tweet:

"Death, taxes, and Virginia starting the season 15-0"

I mean we are 1-0 in the ACC. We could still have a good season in conference . I don’t get the poo-Pooh after we win, but I shouldn’t be surprised as we usually disagree on everything.

I wasn't aware of our relationship being that way. :) Actually, I give likes to quite a few of your posts, but you have so many you probably don't even notice. :)

I responded to the "credit" remark from another poster. Maybe it came across as "poo-Pooh" after a win, but it wasn't my intention, but more on the past 5 years as a whole, regular seasons, expectations, etc. and that regardless of UVA's short comings in the tourney, those regular seasons are gold, and I miss them dearly. I'm still holding out hope for a great (ACC) regular season for us, it has been a long time coming.

I wasn't aware of our relationship being that way. :) Actually, I give likes to quite a few of your posts, but you have so many you probably don't even notice. :)

I responded to the "credit" remark from another poster. Maybe it came across as "poo-Pooh" after a win, but it wasn't my intention, but more on the past 5 years as a whole, regular seasons, expectations, etc. and that regardless of UVA's short comings in the tourney, those regular seasons are gold, and I miss them dearly. I'm still holding out hope for a great regular season for us, it has been a long time coming.

Fine. People keep repeating the same threads over and over. It gets tiresome.

College basketball is two seasons, regular and tournament. UVA and Cuse are expected to do well in both and the coaches get ripped if they fail at one. As they should.

FYI, As the season began, Jerome was projected as a 1st round pick by at least one service, should he choose to make himself available. I think it is actually more than one such list, but I can't say for sure. Part of this was based on his play last year. Part had to do with his performances at the Chris Paul camp this summer. I am hopeful he returns for his degree next year, but I also expect him to test the waters.

I realize he'll be 22 this summer, however, that's just stunning to think, if indeed the case. He's a nice player, in a system program, nothing else, but that's just my opinion. To me, he's even slower and less athletic than Guy...crazy.

I live in Arkansas (ugh) so I don't get a ton of crap from people here about it. It gets brought up in every game we play (talking point) and it's the most commonly used flame/troll on message boards (how creative) but it's not really that big of a deal to me. There's nothing someone else could say that would make me feel worse about the loss than how I felt for the players. Plus, we're UVA so people don't care about us nationally as much as they do about other programs. That can be a good thing when you suffer a humiliating loss but can also be frustrating when you have an incredible accomplishment (like going 20-1 in the ACC last year).

I try to tell myself that if we keep earning good seeds, we'll break through in the tourney at some point. Maybe we will. Maybe we won't. It would be nice to be fully healthy when the tournament comes around for once too (trust me, I'm not using the Hunter injury as an excuse for losing to UMBC). The ONLY time that we have been fully healthy under Bennett was in 2016 and we went to the Elite 8. Not sure what happened in that game though. Stupid repressed memories :p

The best way I can put it is that it's nice to feel pain when it comes to basketball again. I was so "cavalier" about UVA basketball under Gillen and Leitao that it's nice to care again. Plus, you can't suffer a historic upset when you don't earn 1 seeds.
Keep getting there often enough, and you will eventually break through for another run to the Final Four (or better). Due to the tournament format, it invariably requires some luck (favorable matchups, upsets that clear your path, good health, unexpected performances), and sometimes it happens when you least expect it, but it can and does happen.

Guy was unbelievable yesterday. He was making shots that no one on SU can make. Their center puts our bigs to shame and Hunter is better than OB. This might be their best team. They also have another big coming off the bench who is really improving. Jerome is pretty good too.

Just because some people act spoiled at times looking to blame every thing possible, doesn't mean we all are not possible of giving credit when its due.

Virginia deserves credit despite their post season failures. They are on pace for their 4th #1 seed in 6 years (with a #2 and a #5 seed in between). For a program of that stature it is a great accomplishment..

Believing that your team has a real chance for the entire winter is an amazing feeling. 2010, 2012, (and the first 25 games of 2014) were great as a fan. I would take those over 2016, when I never felt the team had a chance to win it all (even entering the final four). Of course we did not lose to UMBC either...,,

What a great post! Your time will surely come post-season. In the meantime, it is very hard as an SU fan to be so irrelevant ever since we entered the ACC. Thank god we won that first Duke game. We coasted on that for a while, but the bottom line is that ACC teams in general don’t fear us, and they do fear Virginia.

I feel like my little boy who was crying once and my mother asked him, “David, what do you want?” He cried, “I want my way, I want it all the time, and I want it now!” That sums up my feelings as an SU fan perfectly.