Meet the Mets ... Until at least 2043 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Meet the Mets ... Until at least 2043

Technically. I mean it is a beautiful walk.

But if you want restaurants and watering holes, they are there, along with shopping. I wouldn't walk but it's a 5 minute drive.

Just picked up my blue road Syracuse Mets cap and I for one couldn’t be more excited for the season to start.

Just picked up my blue road Syracuse Mets cap and I for one couldn’t be more excited for the season to start.
I think there are a couple of new mockups here...

I think there are a couple of new mockups here...

That looks interesting. I'd like to see them extend the right field deck around the outfield fence. It would be fun to circumnavigate the game.

Just being connected to a MLB team from the biggest market in the country is going to bring a whole bunch of people out. I've lived in Syracuse my whole life. I know how these people think. I am one of them. Than add in 25 mill into the park. People are going to come! I will be one of them! I'm ready to buy gear now and go to a game!

do they still have turf there?

That looks interesting. I'd like to see them extend the right field deck around the outfield fence. It would be fun to circumnavigate the game.
stadium-renderingjpg-073d9f7288d22987.jpg

Here is what the proposal looks like. There is more detail and more images in the Scribe link at the end of this story.

I don’t think they are intending on extending the concourse. These appear to be special areas not everyone can get to. And I don’t see any way, even from the outfield covered areas, that you can walk behind the bullpens near center field. I am okay with having areas reserved for special events big groups can rent but would like to have seating and access for the general public along the entire area behind the outfield fence. You should be able to walk around the whole stadium and buy a ticket to sit where you want to sit. I have been to Wrigley Field and watched games from the outfield bleachers. It is a different environment watching a game from there, if done right it can make this stadium special and I would hate to see another opportunity to fix sins from the past lost.

I hated the original design because they didn’t provide any access or seating options behind the outfield fence. This attempt at addressing that is a start but imho needs some work to be done well.

To keep Mets in CNY, Onondaga County seeks $25 million-plus stadium renovation

Yep. Extremely bad decision to build the new stadium at the old MacArthur Stadium site. There's absolutely nothing around there.

The Durham Bulls built their stadium downtown around the same time in the 90s, and they continue to draw extremely well because the stadium is in close proximity to numerous food, drink, and entertainment options. The trend of people moving from the suburbs back to revitalized urban areas, especially young people, means a downtown stadium would make too much sense for Syracuse, but I doubt it will ever happen.

One of the board admins claimed that there were all kinds of businesses that lobbied Bragman back in the early 1990's to stay there.

One of the board admins claimed that there were all kinds of businesses that lobbied Bragman back in the early 1990's to stay there.
What businesses are there in that area that could affected? What businesses are there period?

Maybe the diner gets a little bump on game day? I think it is closed then anyway.

The politicians involved chose the easy way, not the right way. There is no question it would have been harder to get the land to put a ballpark downtown, even in Syracuse in the early 1990s, when so much of the area close to Salina St was falling apart and awful, with little or no taxes being paid and no active ownership in so many places.

But every other city that built a stadium then and since then seems to have found a way to identify a bad area near downtown that could really benefit by the addition of a ballpark and made it happen.

It is bad enough that the park is in an empty corner of the city where there is little or no hope of ever spurring more development and growth by investing in the ballpark. Then the powers that be went with an awful design that was basically a rebuild of the crappy facility we had that was built in the 1930s.

I believe the original ballpark cost about $28 million. Now we, the taxpayers, are going to pay another $28 million to try and fix the awful original design. Best case scenario, the renovated park will be a little better but it will still be in a bad location where you have to drive somewhere if you want to have a drink or a meal before or after the game. Will there be an opportunity for the public to comment on the plans for the renovations? I know I don't like what is being planned. Why hasn't there been a dialogue with the fans and the taxpayers to understand what we want? This is just business as usual. Politicians spending huge amounts of money with no accountability. It wouldn't be bad if they had insight and thoughtfulness but they don't. Can we ever learn from our mistakes?

does destiny do any cross promotion like a tram/bus thing to get people from its bars/rest area to the bball games? same for the armory?

park, eat ,go to the game, ride back?

does destiny do any cross promotion like a tram/bus thing to get people from its bars/rest area to the bball games? same for the armory?

park, eat ,go to the game, ride back?

This is what they should look into. A Chiefs, (sorry, Mets) ticket could give you a discount at Destiny places or a destiny receipt could get you a discount for (Syracuse) Mets tickets.

they should also look at a bingo/su discount pack and perhaps add on a real mets discount if you go to few minor league games.

the crunch and su BBall should do this as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom