Meltdown in Hartford over the demise of the Big East | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Meltdown in Hartford over the demise of the Big East

FADE TO BLACK!

1901321_o.gif
Perfect solution - Go back to the Yankee Conference where you belong!!

We do agree. I hope people don't get too giddy over this. Everyone thought we had Rutgers pinned to the mat. Now they're in the B1G.

Agreed they will end up in a decent place...maybe even better than Cuse. It is very goofy out there...but I have to share this.

scrapbook_musicalchairs.gif

It's SO far from over. The odds are strongly in favor of UConn landing on their feet in some capacity.
I'm sure a bunch of SMU fans were saying the same thing during the breakup of the Southwest Conference. We all know how that worked out for them.

There but for the grace of God...

Things might have worked out much differently for SU.

Uconn would be the Median of the Big 10 by Ranking and should be AAU within 5 years given their recent announcement of a 170 million on campus research facility.
Even if you are correct about the impact of the $170M--the invitation to the AAU is not automatic.

There but for the grace of God...

Things might have worked out much differently for SU.
Remember--according to the reports, SU was the first choice before Pitt (maybe because the ACC felt guilty about the way they treated us in '03--and the way we handled our snubbing ).

Went to the boneyard and saw this beauty of a post by upstate.

I know many others have weighed in the last few days and regarded the dissolution of the BE as inevitable, but the Catholic schools have been against the expanse of football from the beginning. Even worse, some of the football schools such as Cuse and Pitt were against unequal revenue sharing (even though they offered it to Miami when Miami was already out the door). Heck, 2 years ago we heard the Catholics rejected an application by Kansas!!

In my mind, I firmly believe his could have been one of the top conferences in football, and that it would have stuck:

Miami
Penn State
BC
UConn
Syracuse
Maryland
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Rutgers

Back in the 1980s, PSU and Florida st were also talking. That wasn't out of the realm of possibility. PSU and Maryland were going around as a pair in the late 1980s. And the real wild card here would have been attracting Notre Dame with the promise that it could keep all its residuals. Miami, PSU and even ND might have looked upon such a conference as better than where they are at currently, both financially but especially in terms of sports and fit.

How would UConn have even got into that football conference? You didn't even have a D1 school until maybe a dozen years ago. Those schools would have had no interest in your football program.

Perfect solution - Go back to the Yankee Conference where you belong!!

They waited to long to try and get serious about football. 10 years too late to the party.

Went to the boneyard and saw this beauty of a post by upstate.

How would UConn have even got into that football conference? You didn't even have a D1 school until maybe a dozen years ago. Those schools would have had no interest in your football program.

Exactly right. They were grandfathered into the BE. Without that they wouldn't have even made it that far.

It's SO far from over. The odds are strongly in favor of UConn landing on their feet in some capacity.

With Notre Dame playing for the national championship this year, the likelihood of them joining a conference for football has probably been pushed out 10 years. If no one else leaves the ACC, the status quo could hold for that long, and 10 years from now, UConn could be UMass, and then the ACC may no longer be interested.

Such schadenfreude, isn't it more rewarding that Uconn remains competitive and we get to play and beat them wherever they end up ?

Such schadenfreude, isn't it more rewarding that Uconn remains competitive and we get to play and beat them wherever they end up ?

Not if you care about football. There are only so many good players in the northeast. If UConn and Rutgers are competitive D-1 programs, then by definition there are fewer available players for us. If the northeast produced as many football players as it does basketball players, then it wouldn't matter. There would be plenty of players for all of us. But there aren't by a long shot. How few NYS, CT and MASS players make the national HS A-A teams?