Met Sweet D today. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Met Sweet D today.

I recall Vaughn Harper also did a pre-game routine to, I'm thinking "Sweet Georgia Brown". I guess that sort of thing ended when JB took the throne.

I remember the first time I'd heard of Dennis DuVal. The varsity was going through a bad stretch and I was down about it so I started turning in the Frosh games and I kept hearing the name "DuVal" over and over again: Duval shoots and scores...DuVal with a spectacular pass...DuVal dribbles around his man for a lay-up...DuVal makes the steal. I felt better. The future was bright. Ever since then, when I'm down on the team, I think of that. As long as we keep bringing talented players in, there'll be better days ahead.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

They (frosh team) were called the "Tangerines". I remember their games were on WAER.

Last edited:
Bring it back with Judah. How about Stevie Windwood and Bob Marley for sound? They played at the Armory when Duval was on the team. Both groups were with Island Records in England by the time of the tour which also played at Madison Square Garden. Marley was the opening act. My wife was the PR person for Island. She hand delivered the Marley tape from him at the Jamaica recording studio, where she slept on the couch, to Island Records in London, where the mixing was done. Soon after he signed with Island. The Marley budget line item for weed was cheerios.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

They (frosh team) were called the "Tangerines". I remember their games were WAER.

Yep, correct. Before frosh eligibility, the Tangerines were coached by JB and were generally very, very good. So good that fans would often arrive early to fill up Manley when they were playing before the varsity game.

He didn't play for SU in 79/80...he played for SU during the Louie and Bouie frosh season.

Bring it back with Judah. How about Stevie Windwood and Bob Marley for sound? They played at the Armory when Duval was on the team. Both groups were with Island Records in England by the time of the tour which also played at Madison Square Garden. Marley was the opening act. My wife was the PR person for Island. She hand delivered the Marley tape from him at the Jamaica recording studio, where she slept on the couch, to Island Records in London, where the mixing was done. Soon after he signed with Island. The Marley budget line item for weed was cheerios.
There were some incredible concerts in Syracuse and on campus in those days. In addition to the great shows at the War Memorial, we had the best bands in the country at Manley and incredible shows at the much loved and long gone Jabberwocky in the basement of Kimmell Dining Hall. Often acts on their way up at Jabberwocky; James Taylor, Jackson Browne, and on and on. Crouse college auditorium had Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman, and others. Jim Croce at the Womens' gym, bands on the quad, ahh the great old days.

He’s lesser known, it is what it is. Looking at his past he deserves to be discussed more often. I’ve been on this board for 25 years and this is the first time it’s come up that I can recall.

Digging Episode 4 GIF by One Chicago

Dennis Duval was my first love w/ SU basketball. I used to come visit my uncle who lived in the Cuse back in the day, & we'd watch SU games. I was a huge Knicks fan and DD reminded me of Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.
Once I got hooked, it was all she wrote. Gave up scholarships to Duke and Rutgers for the Cuse- and never looked back.

Double D is one of the greatest human beings ever. I’ve been very close to him since I was a very young kid and we have played hundreds of rounds of golf together. He’s the same guy always. No matter what. He’s always there if you need him no matter what time of day. He talks a lot of trash on the course (which I love) and just an overall joy to be around. If anyone ever has the chance to talk to him when you see him, please do. There are few like him in this world
My 5 minutes with him were just like that. No pretense. When he was talking about JB offering him a job on his staff, he said, I told him (JB) I was going to get a real job.

Anyone remember Dave Harmon, reserve who could jump through the roof? Went to an away game at Colgate where he came and sat with the SU fans in the crowd when he came out of the game.
Dave popped his Achilles right in front of the Manley Zoo. Sounded like a rifle shot.

Anyone remember Dave Harmon, reserve who could jump through the roof? Went to an away game at Colgate where he came and sat with the SU fans in the crowd when he came out of the game.
Dave popped his Achilles right in front of the Manley Zoo. Sounded like a rifle shot.
Wasn’t his nickname Dave “the rave”?

I could be wayyyyy wrong about this but I seem to recall him getting the call when Bill Smith got suspended for punching a ref. Not sure about that however because my memory of Harmon is that he wasn’t particularly tall.

I could be wayyyyy wrong about this but I seem to recall him getting the call when Bill Smith got suspended for punching a ref. Not sure about that however because my memory of Harmon is that he wasn’t particularly tall.
He was the Rave! I think about 6’ 3”. The only punch I recall is Tom Stundis though.

He was the Rave! I think about 6’ 3”. The only punch I recall is Tom Stundis though.

From Bud Poliquin’s book, “Tales of the Syracuse Hardwood”: “With 61 seconds left in the game, with Smith having been called for a questionable fifth foul and with Smith insisting that he’d just been slapped in the face by official Herb Young, who’d been offended by the complaining Orangeman’s salty tongue, Smith hauled off an punched the referee. And the joint went up for grabs. “Immediately, there are these two cops, one on each of my arms”, Smith recalled, “But I shake them off and when I do a fan grabs me by my feet and tackles me to the ground. And just like that there must have been 500 people on the court with fistfights like you wouldn’t believe. My mother, father sister and fiancé were there. My dad got the guy who tackled me and was punching him in the face My sister was out there, swinging her purse. Somebody had ripped off my sneaker and was hitting me over the head with it. Greg ‘Kid’ Kohl, who everybody always thought was so mild-mannered, uppercutted one guy once and then he uppercutted him again before the guy decided he’d had enough. It was wild. It was a melee. You really had to see it to believe it.“

From Bud Poliquin’s book, “Tales of the Syracuse Hardwood”: “With 61 seconds left in the game, with Smith having been called for a questionable fifth foul and with Smith insisting that he’d just been slapped in the face by official Herb Young, who’d been offended by the complaining Orangeman’s salty tongue, Smith hauled off an punched the referee. And the joint went up for grabs. “Immediately, there are these two cops, one on each of my arms”, Smith recalled, “But I shake them off and when I do a fan grabs me by my feet and tackles me to the ground. And just like that there must have been 500 people on the court with fistfights like you wouldn’t believe. My mother, father sister and fiancé were there. My dad got the guy who tackled me and was punching him in the face My sister was out there, swinging her purse. Somebody had ripped off my sneaker and was hitting me over the head with it. Greg ‘Kid’ Kohl, who everybody always thought was so mild-mannered, uppercutted one guy once and then he uppercutted him again before the guy decided he’d had enough. It was wild. It was a melee. You really had to see it to believe it.“
Damn!
Those were the good old days!

Just looked it up and the game was at West Virginia, which explains a fan grabbing him.
Btw Stundis leveling George Bucci (the pride of Newburgh) happened right in front of the Zoo.

Yep, correct. Before frosh eligibility, the Tangerines were coached by JB and were generally very, very good. So good that fans would often arrive early to fill up Manley when they were playing before the varsity game.
Bill Vesp

He coached Nottingham while I was playing in HS

There were some incredible concerts in Syracuse and on campus in those days. In addition to the great shows at the War Memorial, we had the best bands in the country at Manley and incredible shows at the much loved and long gone Jabberwocky in the basement of Kimmell Dining Hall. Often acts on their way up at Jabberwocky; James Taylor, Jackson Browne, and on and on. Crouse college auditorium had Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman, and others. Jim Croce at the Womens' gym, bands on the quad, ahh the great old days.
Southside Johnny and the Asbury jukes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom