Methinks this doesn't good if you're a Louisville fan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Methinks this doesn't good if you're a Louisville fan

Let's see, Auburn or Tennessee jobs versus Louisville...hmmmmm.
Not really a tough choice, IMO.
It is what it is. :noidea:
He could be THE MAN at Louisville in a competitive conference. Or he can go to Auburn or Tennessee and get fired for an 8-4 record after 3 years. Hope your family likes being uprooted!

He could be THE MAN at Louisville in a competitive conference. Or he can go to Auburn or Tennessee and get fired for an 8-4 record after 3 years. Hope your family likes being uprooted!

Chizik won a title and was STILL fired lol. Hows that for job security.

Why is that weak? Fan support is a huge consideration for a head coach and/or player.

"Fan support", strictly speaking, is not the issue. Money is the issue. By every account UL is an incredibly well funded athletic department. It's hard to imagine that Strong doesn't have every necessary facility at his disposal for recruiting and training purposes. With that covered it seems a bit silly to be complaining about whether there are 45K or 50K in the building vs. UConn.

So in that respect I think it's weaksauce from Strong.

Yep. Not to get too philosophical, but people who have this ever-present ambition to be in a "better" place seem to be destined to always be unhappy. Coaches are the worst when it comes to this.

Every coach should have a framed picture of Rich Rodriguez on his office wall. Talk about a cautionary tale. Guy could have spent the next two decades in Morgantown being revered, and living an extravagant lifestyle relative to the cost of living in the area. But he had to chase the mythos of Michigan football, while ultimately trying for the same goal (being revered).

Unchecked ego is pretty destructive.

Think Jim Boeheim would have preferred coaching 5 years for the Bullets before they inevitably canned him, then spending the next 20 years bouncing around either as a pro assistant or mid-tier college head coach?

The ville AD said he would match any offer. So he's out getting offers. It's to be expected.

Jurich (the AD) said that a couple weeks ago or so in case Strong was offered somewhere else at some point. It did not mean that someone was actually making offers to Strong now.

"Fan support", strictly speaking, is not the issue. Money is the issue. By every account UL is an incredibly well funded athletic department. It's hard to imagine that Strong doesn't have every necessary facility at his disposal for recruiting and training purposes. With that covered it seems a bit silly to be complaining about whether there are 45K or 50K in the building vs. UConn.

So in that respect I think it's weaksauce from Strong.

Yes, UofL has excellent facilities. I go to games there. What tends to happen is that the stands never look full (maybe on TV) because 1) there is a large standing area at the closed end of the stadium where people congregate and drink beer vs. sitting in their seats (they should sell that section as SRO), and 2) some folks walk around the stadium as more of a social event vs. watching games, esp. youth. It never really looks like an SEC game where every seat seems full. Nevertheless, Papa Johns Stadium can get awfully loud and rowdy.

Support and excitement for the football team has definitely increased a lot since Strong arrived, although it has made its reputation as a basketball school, which still lingers. People here love Charlie.

What you're not mentioning is the competitive nature of these professionals, and their belief that THEY are the ones who'll succeed where others have failed.
Strong isn't thinking he can't do the job at AU/TN, he just wants the best opportunity that his present success has afforded him.
Rick Pitino left UK went to the NBA and came to realize he was meant to coach college ball. Who are we to say he shouldn't have at least given the NBA, the highest level of his profession, a legitimate shot?
If I'm a successful theatre actor in Cleveland, you better be sure I'd take an offer on Broadway. If I fail, so be it...but that's the highest level and I'd believe in myself enough to think I could make it.
I wouldn't begrudge Strong for leaving for a higher profile job...people do it all the time.

Rick Pitino left UK went to the NBA and came to realize he was meant to coach college ball. Who are we to say he shouldn't have at least given the NBA, the highest level of his profession, a legitimate shot?

As a Celtics fan I certainly begrudge him because he was an unmitigated disaster who set my franchise back years. Screw him and his ego. :mad:

Aside from that I get your point. ;)

As a Celtics fan I certainly begrudge him because he was an unmitigated disaster who set my franchise back years. Screw him and his ego. :mad:

Aside from that I get your point. ;)
As a Knicks fan I wish he'd gotten more time in NY, but Im glad the Celts took him off our hands.
You're welcome. :cool:

As a Knicks fan I wish he'd gotten more time in NY, but Im glad the Celts took him off our hands.
You're welcome. :cool:

The guy took Chauncey Billups with the #3 pick and traded him 50 games into his rookie season for Kenny Anderson.

Idiot.

rumor is 3.75/yr for 5 years at UT

The other thing I don't get is why it matters if you're known as a basketball school or a football school? I get where an AD directs the money is important, but too much importance is placed on what "type" of school you are.

It reflects poorly on coaches, right? "I'm going to school x because they are a football school" sounds like "My ego can't take being the 2nd biggest coach on campus". I think Ohio State, Michigan, Florida - and us, of course - have shown that you can be both. It should be seen as a good reason to go to a school, as it lifts the national perception of all of your athletic programs.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant.

My thoughts on Strong/Jurich is that Strong would be silly not to use the "we'll match whatever an SEC school offers" as leverage for a bigger contract. That's what I would do - then stay at Louisville and continue what I started.