Mets 2019 Season Thread | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
I'm so ready for baseball to be here with SU's men's bball groaning towards another disappointing finish. I'm also really pumped that the SYR Mets are here, and will be heading to at least 10 games this year (bought a few 10 game plans).

The big club is getting my hopes up. Here's why:

- Our starting pitching should again be the class of the NL, if not the entire league. deGrom is a legit ace, probably no worse than top 3 in MLB (Sale, Scherzer, etc). Thor is a clear cut #2 who can pitch like an ace. Wheeler and Matz also took legit steps forward last year. Vargas is one of the better #5s in baseball. After that, there's a huge drop off in talent, so PLEASE stay healthy!
- A revamped and improved bullpen with a lockdown closer. Diaz will be huge for this team, and hopefully Familia can maintain elite play to provide a lockdown 8 & 9th inning. Lugo and Gsellman will be able to pitch in the roles that are right for them. Our pen goes from being a liability, to a strength.
- The lineup is GREATLY improved. Nimmo showed that he's on his way to a rising star, Conforto will mash, Cano is still a legit threat, Lowrie (once he's healthy) can provide a consistent bat, McNeil is that new super sub we always seem to have, Ramos is a top 5 offensive catcher, and ALONSO, my GOD, his power this spring has been insane. Rosario also seems like he is going to have a breakout year. There aren't going to be any easy outs in this lineup anymore. The days of giving 250+ ABs to Reyes, and other dead wood are long gone. Plus...if Cespedes can come back in August/September fully healthy, that's like adding a middle of the order slugger for the stretch run.

I think we'll be in the hunt for the division all year, and can definitely get a wild card berth. The NL East is clearly the best division in the league this year. The central will take a step back, and the west is awful. I think promoting Alonso to the opening day roster is paramount, rather than having an extra year of team control 5 years from now, when deGrom, Thor, Conforto, etc are all likely to be gone anyway. Our window is right now. A game or two could very well be the difference between playing in October and going home

If we get into the playoffs, with our staff, we could win it all. Stay healthy, and this can be a very interesting year for the Mets.

I'm so ready for baseball to be here with SU's men's bball groaning towards another disappointing finish. I'm also really pumped that the SYR Mets are here, and will be heading to at least 10 games this year (bought a few 10 game plans).

- Our starting pitching should again be the class of the NL, if not the entire league. deGrom is a legit ace, probably no worse than top 3 in MLB (Sale, Scherzer, etc). Thor is a clear cut #2 who can pitch like an ace. Wheeler and Matz also took legit steps forward last year. Vargas is one of the better #5s in baseball. After that, there's a huge drop off in talent, so PLEASE stay healthy!
- A revamped and improved bullpen with a lockdown closer. Diaz will be huge for this team, and hopefully Familia can maintain elite play to provide a lockdown 8 & 9th inning. Lugo and Gsellman will be able to pitch in the roles that are right for them. Our pen goes from being a liability, to a strength.
- The lineup is GREATLY improved. Nimmo showed that he's on his way to a rising star, Conforto will mash, Cano is still a legit threat, Lowrie (once he's healthy) can provide a consistent bat, McNeil is that new super sub we always seem to have, Ramos is a top 5 offensive catcher, and ALONSO, my GOD, his power this spring has been insane. Rosario also seems like he is going to have a breakout year. There aren't going to be any easy outs in this lineup anymore. The days of giving 250+ ABs to Reyes, and other dead wood are long gone. Plus...if Cespedes can come back in August/September fully healthy, that's like adding a middle of the order slugger for the stretch run.

I think we'll be in the hunt for the division all year, and can definitely get a wild card berth. The NL East is clearly the best division in the league this year. The central will take a step back, and the west is awful. I think promoting Alonso to the opening day roster is paramount, rather than having an extra year of team control 5 years from now, when deGrom, Thor, Conforto, etc are all likely to be gone anyway. Our window is right now. A game or two could very well be the difference between playing in October and going home

If we get into the playoffs, with our staff, we could win it all. Stay healthy, and this can be a very interesting year for the Mets.
Are you sticking around for the full-season? In last year’s thread you disappeared after June.

Are you sticking around for the full-season? In last year’s thread you disappeared after June.

I post on a Mets forum (metsrefugees.com) during the season. This place isn’t my #1 during baseball season.

Don’t get it twisted that I’m not a die-hard Mets fan. I’ve been a fan since 97’ and damn near emptied my bank account to make it to the WS a few years ago. I attended Johan’s no-no and even sent my ticket stub from the game to Cooperstown. Ask OttoMets. I’m not some bandwagon fan.

I post on a Mets forum (metsrefugees.com) during the season. This place isn’t my #1 during baseball season.

Don’t get it twisted that I’m not a die-hard Mets fan. I’ve been a fan since 97’ and damn near emptied my bank account to make it to the WS a few years ago. I attended Johan’s no-no and even sent my ticket stub from the game to Cooperstown. Ask OttoMets. I’m not some bandwagon fan.
I’m just teasing. Your level of Met-fandom doesn’t concern me at all.

The big club coming to the Carrier Dome for a workout is pretty cool!!

• tough division this year, though. everyone could put up great numbers and the team still finish 3rd
  • scherzer v degrom on opening day.
  • alonso is built like colossus from the xmen

Progress is being made on a deGrom extension. Great news.

The big club coming to the Carrier Dome for a workout is pretty cool!!
How are they going to have batting practice in the Dome? Every fly ball is going to bang off the roof. Are they going to hit in a cage with big nets? Are they going to lay down dirt for infield practice? The configuration is going to be interesting. Looking forward to video footage. Maybe SU will broadcast live the whole thing with guest interviews, Callaway, Brodie, Tebow, SNY and radio broadcasters, a few players. Looking forward to this.

How are they going to have batting practice in the Dome? Every fly ball is going to bang off the roof. Are they going to hit in a cage with big nets? Are they going to lay down dirt for infield practice? The configuration is going to be interesting. Looking forward to video footage. Maybe SU will broadcast live the whole thing with guest interviews, Callaway, Brodie, Tebow, SNY and radio broadcasters, a few players. Looking forward to this.

I doubt it will be televised by SU. SNY would be more likely to televise it. I would have to imagine that they’ll hit into nets suspended from the roof? How high is the roof in Tropicana Field? I would imagine they’ll play on the turf, without dirt. The configuration is going to be strange, that’s for sure.

I’m more concerned about getting there early and possibly trying to get an autograph from deGrom.

I doubt it will be televised by SU. SNY would be more likely to televise it. I would have to imagine that they’ll hit into nets suspended from the roof? How high is the roof in Tropicana Field? I would imagine they’ll play on the turf, without dirt. The configuration is going to be strange, that’s for sure.

I’m more concerned about getting there early and possibly trying to get an autograph from deGrom.
Do you think they will build pitching mounds? I doubt it. It probably will be a low key workout, just loosening up by throwing and BP with the nets.

Do you think they will build pitching mounds? I doubt it. It probably will be a low key workout, just loosening up by throwing and BP with the nets.

It’s totally going to be low-key with as much limited activity as possible in order to prevent a fluke injury.

So this is midday, kind of weird, but obviously worth checking out. I assume the layout will be like 2012 when the women's softball team played some games in the Dome. I'll see what I can find out.

I was with you for most of this, I know Vargas was much better in the second half, but I dunno. I am real low on him. And the starting pitching depth is brutal. (They should totally sign Dallas Keuchal or Gio Gonzalez. Not banking on it)

Team overall should be better. Not exactly a great sign that Lowrie and Frazier (though he's a bench guy) are already hurt though. Plus I just assume, like, the rest of the roster will get hurt before too long.

Wheeler is a huge key though; if the gains he made in the second half are real, that's a hell of a top 3.

It’s gonna be Zamora or Bashlor.

I saw that he said deGrom should get an extension. Did something else happen?

I heard that some Mets aren't excited about the Syracuse trip and he might've finally spoken out about it?

I don't know what he said, but I can't blame them for thinking it's kind of a weird way to break camp, heading up north. Players have to use some sense when they're being publicly critical, though.

I saw that he said deGrom should get an extension. Did something else happen?

I apologize for my over the top characterization of him. Lol. I’m sure he’s a good dude. Just protective of the 315.

Last edited:
Shut up Noah. Go up to the Dome, sign autographs for 2 hours and then you're gone. Is that too much to ask?

He’s not a big fan of my hometown and I am. No biggy. Go Syracuse Mets anyway

I apologize for my over the top characterization of him. Lol. I’m sure he’s a good dude. Just protective of the 315.
I read one article. I didn’t see where he said anything negative about Syracuse, just that it didn’t make sense to go there. I think he has a point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom