Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

Excellent point: If d'Arnaud is your last bench player, why pinch hit him and ask him to bunt when you could send up a starting pitcher who is more used to bunting and save the pinch-hitter?
Seriously... Matz, DeGrom, Thor are all better bunters and probably better hitters overall than D'arnauyd at this point.

Seriously... Matz, DeGrom, Thor are all better bunters and probably better hitters overall than D'arnauyd at this point.

Calloway said he used d'Arnaud because if he didn't get the bunt down the first two times, he'd have a better chance of getting a hit on the third strike. A classic example of negative thinking.

Calloway said he used d'Arnaud because if he didn't get the bunt down the first two times, he'd have a better chance of getting a hit on the third strike. A classic example of negative thinking.
in this thread, you don't have to rely on mickey for examples of negative thinking

Mickey is an idiot. Why wouldn’t you bring Diaz in for a four out save after the double play in the 8th? It was clear that Familia didn’t have it at all.

And for the record, I’m not a fan of making closers pitch multiple inning saves regularly. But if there was ever a time for it, it was last night.

OMFG... Diaz with total domination! Wow.

So that's why the Mets traded for him.

Potentially the best inning ever by a Mets closer not named Orosco.

Diaz blows Harper away with 98 on the outer black at the knees. He takes Hoskins’s soul with that check swing bailout swing and gives Realmuto the straight high heat.

I love it! He throws gas!!

Mickey is an idiot. Why wouldn’t you bring Diaz in for a four out save after the double play in the 8th? It was clear that Familia didn’t have it at all.

And for the record, I’m not a fan of making closers pitch multiple inning saves regularly. But if there was ever a time for it, it was last night.

Said today they won't be using Diaz in the regular season for any 4+ out saves.

Stupid

Stupid

Did you see how BVW was quick to somewhat refute that after the game? Cited “flexibility”.

What happened to the innovative Mickey we were supposed to be getting from Cleveland? Right now he’s managing like a man who’s worried about saving his job. Uber traditional. To a fault, IMO.

Stupid
He also intimated that he was going with the slot system... ie 5/6/7 - lugo/gsellman 8 - familia 9 - Diaz

This is dumb for a whole number of reasons but the most obvious one to me is that there is basically a baseball game every day and these dudes can't pitch more than 2/3 days straight. If he is that rigid in pen usage that's going to create a TON of problems down the road and prevent him from pitching his best pitchers in the most high stress situations. Callaway needs to go.

He also intimated that he was going with the slot system... ie 5/6/7 - lugo/gsellman 8 - familia 9 - Diaz

This is dumb for a whole number of reasons but the most obvious one to me is that there is basically a baseball game every day and these dudes can't pitch more than 2/3 days straight. If he is that rigid in pen usage that's going to create a TON of problems down the road and prevent him from pitching his best pitchers in the most high stress situations. Callaway needs to go.

Bullpen management and performance scare the life out of me. The lineup will hit, it will have some slumps, but you can't expect this lineup to bail you out with 7 runs all that often.

Trash team
Eh every team has flaws... its all about winning the series. Tomorrow is a critical game.

Of the 4 NL East teams in contention, the Mets have lowest ceiling on offense, probably a combination of the highest ceiling and lowest floor for starting pitching... these dudes could be lights out or give up 8 in the first inning without any outs on any given night... and the lowest ceiling and lowest floor in the bullpen, ie they stink. At the end of the day if the starters can't give this team 6 to 7 innings a night there will be no playoffs this year.

Eh every team has flaws... its all about winning the series. Tomorrow is a critical game.

Of the 4 NL East teams in contention, the Mets have lowest ceiling on offense, probably a combination of the highest ceiling and lowest floor for starting pitching... these dudes could be lights out or give up 8 in the first inning without any outs on any given night... and the lowest ceiling and lowest floor in the bullpen, ie they stink. At the end of the day if the starters can't give this team 6 to 7 innings a night there will be no playoffs this year.

Disagree. Our ceiling on offense is as high as any team in the division not named Philly. They're deep and varied. Once Lowrie comes back our lineup has ZERO holes in it.

McNeil
Alonso
Cano
Conforto
Ramos
Lowrie
Nimmo
Rosario

That's an incredible lineup and the best we've had since 06' where we had guys like Beltran, Wright, Reyes & Delgado.

The starting pitching also has the highest floor, not the lowest floor. Have you been paying attention to the rest of the NL East? Strausburg's velocity has dropped alarmingly. The Braves have tons of young pitching but no true aces. Philly's season will partly hinge on if Aaron Nola is closer to 2018 Nola or 2017 Nola. They were counting on Nick Pivetta to take a big step forward and they've already sent him down to the minors!

EVERY team's pitching sucks right now. This is happening across baseball. The ball is most likely juiced and 50 home runs may be the new 30 this year.

The one thing that concerns me is the bullpen. If Familia can't be a reliable bridge to Diaz it will be a long year.

There are a lot of good teams in the NL overall. For the first time in over 40 years they may score more runs than the AL this year. I think we have more than a strong shot to make the playoffs.

Disagree. Our ceiling on offense is as high as any team in the division not named Philly. They're deep and varied. Once Lowrie comes back our lineup has ZERO holes in it.

McNeil
Alonso
Cano
Conforto
Ramos
Lowrie
Nimmo
Rosario

That's an incredible lineup and the best we've had since 06' where we had guys like Beltran, Wright, Reyes & Delgado.

The starting pitching also has the highest floor, not the lowest floor. Have you been paying attention to the rest of the NL East? Strausburg's velocity has dropped alarmingly. The Braves have tons of young pitching but no true aces. Philly's season will partly hinge on if Aaron Nola is closer to 2018 Nola or 2017 Nola. They were counting on Nick Pivetta to take a big step forward and they've already sent him down to the minors!

EVERY team's pitching sucks right now. This is happening across baseball. The ball is most likely juiced and 50 home runs may be the new 30 this year.

The one thing that concerns me is the bullpen. If Familia can't be a reliable bridge to Diaz it will be a long year.

There are a lot of good teams in the NL overall. For the first time in over 40 years they may score more runs than the AL this year. I think we have more than a strong shot to make the playoffs.
My main concern with the line up is that McNeil, Alonso, Nimmo and Rosario haven't proven they can do it game in and game out... Cano is at the point in hi s career where he might drop off a cliff and Ramos is a catcher where its tough to hit for a full season. My guess is as MLB pitchers start to figure out some of our guys we will start seeing some regression. We've scored 3 runs or less 3 out the last 4 games... the regression may be starting already.

My main concern with the line up is that McNeil, Alonso, Nimmo and Rosario haven't proven they can do it game in and game out... Cano is at the point in hi s career where he might drop off a cliff and Ramos is a catcher where its tough to hit for a full season. My guess is as MLB pitchers start to figure out some of our guys we will start seeing some regression. We've scored 3 runs or less 3 out the last 4 games... the regression may be starting already.

We’re 19 games in! Just barely 10% of the season. Sure we’re not going to score 8-9 runs every night, but 5-6 isn’t out of the question. Cano will be fine this year. Hitting metrics indicate he’s going to get better. Ramos will not catch every day. He will be rested regularly to keep his bat fresh. Our depth will help a lot.

Yesterday with the game on the line and Broxton up to bat, imagine if you’d feel better about our chances to tie or take the lead if Frazier was to PH. That’s what we’re potentially looking at when everyone is healthy.

Also McNeil could win the batting title this year. That guy just flat out hits. Alonso will regress some as the league gets the book on him, but Conforto is showing that he’s going to have a monster year if healthy.

Now we get to see if Vargas can make it out of the first inning. I hope he isn't "confused" this time.

Isn't this fun?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom