Michael Gbinije waived by Detroit | Syracusefan.com

Michael Gbinije waived by Detroit

Waived just before his contract would have become guaranteed I believe. Other clubs have done the same with other players. Hopefully, G gets a good gig somewhere, probably oversees.

Meanwhile the Knicks just signed Ron Baker to a guaranteed 9 million dollar deal Smh.
It would appear looking at his background, that he might have a better future writing children's books than playing basketball. But 9 M-----for what? I guess it just fits the Knicks "system".

That sucks. One of the best players in college basketball his senior year. Got stuck with the stigma of being an older player and fell into the second round. If he were a sophomore putting up those numbers and playing like he did, he'd have been a first round pick.

That sucks. One of the best players in college basketball his senior year. Got stuck with the stigma of being an older player and fell into the second round. If he were a sophomore putting up those numbers and playing like he did, he'd have been a first round pick.

Which is why players go early...unfortunately for Mike he needed all 5 years to get to that point. I'm sure he'll catch on in Europe or maybe an NBA team somewhere

Not quick enough to play guard at that level

I mentioned this during summer league -- caught parts of a Detroit game, Gbinije started, and hit the first basket of the game [a 3]. Handled the ball in transition, and Detroit got out to something like a 9-0 or 11-0 start. Looked solid / confident, which was good to see.

Stepped away from the game for like an hour, and when I turned it back on they were neck and neck with the opponent, in OT. Gbinije got fouled to stop the clock, and went to the line. I was surprised to see that he only had 5 points at the end of the game [not good after scoring three on the first shot of the game]. Missed the first, made the second, and Detroit ended up eventually losing on a buzzer beater. Mentioned at the time that it was a disappointing stat line [he didn't shoot well]. Really too bad -- but it was a predictable move from Detroit to avoid the bulk of the guaranteed salary. Hope he latches on elsewhere.

Last edited:
I mentioned this during summer league -- caught parts of a Detroit game, Gbinije started, and hit the first basket of the game [a 3]. Handled the ball in transition, and Detroit got out to something like a 9-0 or 11-0 start. Looked solid / confident, which was good to see.

Stepped away from the game for like an hour, and when I turned it back on they were neck and neck with the opponent, in OT. Gbinije got fouled to stop the clock, and went to the line. I was surprised to see that he only had 5 points at the end of the game [not good after scoring three on the first shot of the game]. Missed the first, made the second, and Detroit ended up eventually losing on a buzzer beater. Mentioned at the time that it was a disappointing stat line [he didn't shoot well]. Really too bad -- but it was a predictable move from Detroit to avoid the bulk of the guaranteed salary. Hope he latches on elsewhere.
I saw him play in one summer league game and, basically, came away with the same impression: he looked confident, was active on defense (got a couple deflections/steels) and moved well with the ball, ran the break and was able to get space to get his shot off. He just didn't shoot it as well as I'd hoped (a couple shots were in/out).

Problem is, summer league is so chaotic and disorganized. Guys are long and athletic and are scrapping, and the offensive schemes often give way to iso moves and jacking shots. MG functions better in a more organized half court setting where the floor is spaced better. Just my take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom