Michigan offered Harbaugh $8M a year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Michigan offered Harbaugh $8M a year...

Not true. He paid for the Sun Life Stadium upgrades 100% out of pocket himself. And YES he has given Michigan millions of dollars and is giving most of his BILLIONS to Michigan when he dies, but he isn't dead! It's not like you can leave your BILLIONS to an NFL team someone else is owning. So, I wouldn't say he cares more about Michigan than the pro team he currently owns. In a perfect world Ross would want Harbaugh in Miami to run his NFL team and to get everyone off his back.

Well, you know more about Michigan than I do.

Michigan is a football school where football is meaningful from everyone starting with the president on down. Syracuse is a school that happens to have a football team that plays games a few Saturday's a year. That is the difference.

Was it always that way for us at Syracuse, no. Syracuse has a great football history and tradition. But that tradition and history of Syracuse is meaningless now because of the current mind-set of the people running the school in regards to football.
Syracuse has a relatively small window of being nationally significant in FB. Outside of Ben, the tail end of Mac and most of PP's tenure, SU fb has not been relevant.

Not true. He paid for the Sun Life Stadium upgrades 100% out of pocket himself. And YES he has given Michigan millions of dollars and is giving most of his BILLIONS to Michigan when he dies, but he isn't dead! It's not like you can leave your BILLIONS to an NFL team someone else is owning. So, I wouldn't say he cares more about Michigan than the pro team he currently owns. In a perfect world Ross would want Harbaugh in Miami to run his NFL team and to get everyone off his back.

"Despite widespread media speculation that the Dolphins will pursue 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, owner Stephen Ross has shown no indication that he has any interest in making a coaching change, sources told the Miami Herald on Thursday.

Furthermore, the organization has no desire to be used as leverage in Harbaugh’s upcoming negotiations — which some see as inevitable based on Ross’ previous relationship with Harbaugh."

It wouldn't be a bad thing to see the football factories go off and form their own mini-NFL. We would then compete for the ACC title with Boston College, Duke and Georgia Tech, etc.

Here are the winningest college football programs sicne the two-platoon era began in 1964:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1964&end=2013&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win Pct

Drop out Boise State and BYU, who are basically successful mid-majors and add in Miami and LSU and I thin k you've got your 16 team "super conference". Let them make their own rules and compete with each other and we'll take on the rest.

I am mixed about this. While I agree, this spending has gotten out of hand and I would love to jettison the factories to their own circle jerk and play schools on our level, I am also concerned that "dropping" to a lower level would kill the schools support. Would We still get 35k to watch Duke, BC, Vandy Rutgers etc? Even though we are virtually eliminated from the Championship the second the season starts, i think that being in it, even for that second, is the reason college football is so exciting.

Syracuse has a relatively small window of being nationally significant in FB. Outside of Ben, the tail end of Mac and most of PP's tenure, SU fb has not been relevant.

Well that covers about fifty years.

So, I'm okay with that.

Michigan is a football school where football is meaningful from everyone starting with the president on down. Syracuse is a school that happens to have a football team that plays games a few Saturday's a year. That is the difference.

Was it always that way for us at Syracuse, no. Syracuse has a great football history and tradition. But that tradition and history of Syracuse is meaningless now because of the current mind-set of the people running the school in regards to football.

"Current mind-set of the People running the school in regards to football"?

It's not clear what that is supposed to mean. I suspect that you have never met or spoken with whomever you are describing.

The current "mind-set" is to invest big in Syracuse University Football.

The ACC, the IPF, the updated Football Office are evidence of that commitment.

The University is committed. Any suggestion to the contrary is groundless.

And the history of the program is far from "meaningless," particularly with the "people running the school"

I am mixed about this. While I agree, this spending has gotten out of hand and I would love to jettison the factories to their own circle jerk and play schools on our level, I am also concerned that "dropping" to a lower level would kill the schools support. Would We still get 35k to watch Duke, BC, Vandy Rutgers etc? Even though we are virtually eliminated from the Championship the second the season starts, i think that being in it, even for that second, is the reason college football is so exciting.

We have never been at the top level. The NFL is the top level. The creation of a mini-NFL wouldn't change that. We support our local college teams because they represent us. I think there would be plenty of interest in who was the best of the schools with a responsible attitude toward college sports. I also think that losing to Florida State every year doesn't elevate us. We aren't really "in it" as we are.

This is patently wrong.

Syracuse was one of the top 20 football programs in the country from the time Archbold was built until at least 1930. I know of no measure of college football programs during the 1907-1930 time frame that would not agree with this...

This is patently wrong.

Syracuse was one of the top 20 football programs in the country from the time Archbold was built until at least 1930. I know of no measure of college football programs during the 1907-1930 time frame that would not agree with this...

This guy's attempting to create what he think an AP Poll for 1901-1935 would have looked like. It's still a work in progress so he ahs only 1918-35. SU appears with some frequency.
http://www.tiptop25.com/top25s_1901_1935.html

"Despite widespread media speculation that the Dolphins will pursue 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, owner Stephen Ross has shown no indication that he has any interest in making a coaching change, sources told the Miami Herald on Thursday.

Furthermore, the organization has no desire to be used as leverage in Harbaugh’s upcoming negotiations — which some see as inevitable based on Ross’ previous relationship with Harbaugh."
If you believe that I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya. After Ross handled the Sparano situation he is being very quiet on this front this time. Waiting for the season to end before talking about coaching moves. The way he was destroyed in the press and by his other owners for pursuing a coach while having one under contract he won't make the same mistake twice.

that seems like a big window to me.

We have never been at the top level. The NFL is the top level. The creation of a mini-NFL wouldn't change that. We support our local college teams because they represent us. I think there would be plenty of interest in who was the best of the schools with a responsible attitude toward college sports. I also think that losing to Florida State every year doesn't elevate us. We aren't really "in it" as we are.

Not sure I agree. If we were stuck in the AAC, no one would be happy. Essentially that is what would be happening. Anyone not a factory would be getting left behind. Its the "getting left behind" feeling which i feel would hurt us.

Last edited:
I read he's waiting to see what NFL coaching jobs open up. I think Harbaugh takes over the Giants waaaaaaay before he goes to Michigan.